UK-Spain distractions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK-Spain distractions

It seems Spain launched a distraction for its' citizenry and UK quickly responded by doing the same. The economy is irrelevant, as argument over territorial borders pushed to distract the plebs.

Spain stands by Gibraltar controls despite UK legal move - Telegraph
    It will get more fun if they ever go into a reciprocity tailspin and start going over individualizing the tariff situation in response to each other goods. Ergo trade barrier controls within EU zone undermining the prior realities. Granted this would be very low likelihood but the gamble (since it takes time to go through EU courts)on trade disputes would be seen as nationally supportive.

Since Spain is more export dependent it would be hurt more it seems in a tit-tat export shock, especially if UK pulls a tourist advisory or an outright control of their tourist dollars to Spain. This would sink the Economic battleship in my view and we get into the "event" that pushes Spain towards salvation via the banking system collapse.

By Fiona Govan, Madrid

9:12PM BST 12 Aug 2013

A spokesman for David Cameron said on Monday that the border checks imposed in retaliation over Gibraltar’s creation of an artificial reef in its waters, were “politically motivated and totally disproportionate”.

The diplomatic row deepened as British warships set sail for the Mediterranean for a “routine” naval exercise that will see them dock in Gibraltar within the week.

The Spanish government told Britain on Monday that it planned to keep the border controls in place.

“We insist that they are legal, proportionate and we are obliged to carry them out under the Schengen agreement,” a Spanish foreign ministry spokesman said. Madrid was responding to the announcement that Downing Street had asked Foreign Office lawyers to look into possible legal action against Spain over the matter.
    Its odd that Spain also has Ceuta&Melila in North Africa as enclaves.
    Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Originally posted by cyppok View Post

Its odd that Spain also has Ceuta&Melila in North Africa as enclaves.
    That sort of double thinking on Madrid's part never ceased to astound me.

Comment

Canaries anyone :whome:

Comment

Can't really blame the Spanish. With England letting its military go to pot, Scotland rumbling about going its own way.... Weakness encourages aggression.

Comment

Actually with the Spanish economy going down the road and unemployment skyrocketing, on top, being one of few EU economies that still produces negative growth... It is a nice distraction for the masses.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            Actually with the Spanish economy going down the road and unemployment skyrocketing, on top, being one of few EU economies that still produces negative growth... It is a nice distraction for the masses.
            the last spanish speaking country that tried this political approach also took it too far and came off second best.....
            Linkeden:
            http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
            http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
              the last spanish speaking country that tried this political approach also took it too far and came off second best.....
              Thats when we had something resembling a military force , the sackings have come back to bite the ministers who instigated them , they thought the pissed on sacked people would join the T/A as part time soldiers and do the gig pro for even less money , like the ones sacked hours before their pensions were to kick in ?? Guess what , recruitment is at an all time low , the way they have been treated by the public schoolboy millionaires , saving money to send to undeserving countries instead of looking after our own .

2 UK Warships HMS Westminster and an aux ship have just sailed into Gib waters , ( jeez we still have one ) ??? errr on a routine exercise
              Last edited by tankie; 19 Aug 13,, 11:24.

Comment

Military won't be needed Tankie. Spain is just doing a bit of huffing & puffing. Spain can't afford to push this too far & they know it. I'm not even talking about military stuff now. While the UK economy is not in spectacular shape, it is in much better shape than Spain's. This won't go past talk & a few irritations. I'll be interested to see what happens if the UK takes this to the European courts.

Of course, if the UK really wants to mess with Spain I'm sure Morocco would love to have a major EU nation backing its claims for the return of Ceuta, Melilla & other bits of territory still held by Spain. :)
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I was mainly referring to GFs post which im thinking was the Argy gig m8 , and the lack of our decimated forces to av a rematch ,,still we do have some typhoons on the FALKLANDS ;) ,

Spain , pffffffffffttt why dya think glass bottomed boats were invented

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                    I was mainly referring to GFs post which im thinking was the Argy gig m8 , and the lack of our decimated forces to av a rematch ,,still we do have some typhoons on the FALKLANDS ;) ,

Spain , pffffffffffttt why dya think glass bottomed boats were invented
                    I wouldn't worry about Argentina either Tankie. I looked into this during the last bit of Argentinean posturing. However far downhill you think UK forces have gone in 30 years, Argentina's have taken an even bigger dive. They are still flying fighters that were in service in '82 and their Navy is such a joke that one of its old ships recently sank in port due to poor maintenance. They would struggle to even get troops to the Falklands and they are in no position to supply them. I suspect that a handful of troops and a reasonable air defence system would be enough to keep he islands safe until you could fly in more planes & troops....and that is before the navy turns up.

The remnants of Empire are still safe Tankie.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Moreover, if Spain really wants to, Spain can pull off a Deng Xiaoping Hong Kong move but it won't fly in European Union and ironically, the EU is what keeps Spain from going overboard so there is value for Britain to be in EU.

Comment

ooooops

Gibraltar Telegraph poll being won by Spain after social media campaign - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                        X