Did I tell you I'm lazy? ;)
    Energy efficient, not lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
      Energy efficient, not lazy.
      Just so!:)

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
        Yes, and the combat radius and payload are affected accordingly. Ask the Corps if they'd like a ski jump. I know the answer you'd get, because they learned the value of it back in 2010 flying off HMS Ark Royal, and to a man they professed their new found preference for deck running off the ski jump.
        The Corps will tell you that one isn't needed or wanted.

yes the pilots did like the added height they got from the ski jump. But a fully armed AV-8B has no problem taking off from a Wasp class ship.

The Ark Royals flight deck is about 200 feet shorter than the Wasp. They need a ramp.

The Japanese Destroyer has a flight deck about 10 feet shorter than the Wasp. They would have no problems using fully loaded AV-8s/F-35Bs
        Last edited by Gun Grape; 17 Aug 13,, 05:42.

Comment

This one surprised me and is getting an interesting name. I was expecting them to name it Iwate to go with Izumo. (sort of how they kept Ise and Hyuga together)

http://news.usni.org/2015/08/27/japa...copter-carrier

Comment

I see they just bought V-22s. Wonder if they will operate them from the new "Destroyers"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-buys-five-v-/

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              I see they just bought V-22s. Wonder if they will operate them from the new "Destroyers"

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-buys-five-v-/
              Wouldn't surprise me if they did. The V-22 represents a big step up in speed and range compared to the helicopters in the JMSDF inventory and I can see that as being a pretty good fit with Japan's spread out island geography. V-22s also wouldn't trigger the same kind of angst from the Chinese as fighters being launched off the new "Destroyers".
              Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 28 Aug 15,, 15:13.

Comment

Ignore, wrong place.
                Last edited by jlvfr; 01 Sep 15,, 20:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                  Yes, and the combat radius and payload are affected accordingly. Ask the Corps if they'd like a ski jump. I know the answer you'd get, because they learned the value of it back in 2010 flying off HMS Ark Royal, and to a man they professed their new found preference for deck running off the ski jump.
                  The Corps will tell you that one isn't needed or wanted.
                  It will help if they can use an MV-22 to top off the tanks of the F-35B after take-off.

USNI reported that Navy's V-22 COD variant as currently planned is not going to include that capability.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1267135_688917244469588_1132658073_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1467782

Comment

I wonder what it is like lining up behind those rotors? Any worse than other refueling aircraft?

Comment

Working...
                    X