Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brain to Brain interface allows control of other animals with thought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain to Brain interface allows control of other animals with thought.

Harvard creates brain-to-brain interface, allows humans to control other animals with thoughts alone | StratRisks
    Researchers at Harvard University have created the first noninvasive brain-to-brain interface (BBI) between a human… and a rat. Simply by thinking the appropriate thought, the BBI allows the human to control the rat’s tail. This is one of the most important steps towards BBIs that allow for telepathic links between two or more humans — which is a good thing in the case of friends and family, but terrifying if you stop to think about the nefarious possibilities of a fascist dictatorship with mind control tech.

In recent years there have been huge advances in the field of brain-computer interfaces, where your thoughts are detected and “understood” by a sensor attached to a computer, but relatively little work has been done in the opposite direction (computer-brain interfaces). This is because it’s one thing for a computer to work out what a human is thinking (by asking or observing their actions), but another thing entirely to inject new thoughts into a human brain. To put it bluntly, we have almost no idea of how thoughts are encoded by neurons in the brain. For now, the best we can do is create a computer-brain interface that stimulates a region of the brain that’s known to create a certain reaction — such as the specific part of the motor cortex that’s in charge of your fingers. We don’t have the power to move your fingers in a specific way — that would require knowing the brain’s encoding scheme — but we can make them jerk around.
    Moving forward, the researchers now need to work on the transmitting of more complex ideas, such as hunger or sexual arousal, from human to rat. At some point, they’ll also have to put the FUS CBI on a human, to see if thoughts can be transferred in the opposite direction. Finally, we’ll need to combine an EEG and FUS into a single unit, to allow for bidirectional sharing of thoughts and ideas. Human-to-human telepathy is the most obvious use, but what if the same bidirectional technology also allows us to really communicate with animals, such as dogs? There would be huge ethical concerns, of course, especially if a dictatorial tyrant uses the tech to control our thoughts — but the same can be said of almost every futuristic, transhumanist technology.
    There is a bit more in the mid of the story but I just put up the first and last most poignant paragraphs in my view.

Sort of cool, a little unnerving. I can see the human to human experiments being tried out since it is non-invasive. Remember the movie "Scanners" or just your run of the mil X-men with Professor X and 'Cerebro' machine. I can totally see home kits printing these things in a decade or so non-printable stuff to be bought in a kit online. Everyone will try to mind control everyone else to train their mind. Crazy a bit lol.

Good thoughts
    Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Very unnerving , total mind control power , no thanks :pari:

Comment

Do they make them that will fit toddlers?
      "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Of course the 1st version will be sold to your wife.....
        Or even worse, your ex!!!

All of a sudden that tinfoil hat starts to look good.

Comment

All been done before- Willard (1971) - Plot Summary "Willard", and Ben (1972) - Connections - IMDb "Ben". Also, I believe Aquaman has something similar going with fish and crustaceans and maybe mollusks. Seriously, what really worries me though is the last part of the story where the researchers say the FUS CBI would have to be put on a human to see if the thoughts can be transferred in the opposite direction. Now, I've seen Ratatouille. What is there that will stop the rat from ordering the human to place more of the FUS CBI's on the other humans in the room? And if that happens, where does it end? Also, there is just something fundamentally wrong about a person who would volunteer to have his mind controlled by a rat. The rodent kind, I mean.

Comment

:
            Originally posted by tankie View Post
            Very unnerving , total mind control power , no thanks :pari:
            Oooooooh ........You WILL learn to love Celine Dion's albums........ You WILL learn to love Celine Dion's albums........:)
            If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
              :

Oooooooh ........You WILL learn to love Celine Dion's albums........ You WILL learn to love Celine Dion's albums........:)
              Im gonna think twice about that m8 , its a titanic task :whome:

Comment

You know About a day after I first posted, I drove past Beth Israel / Harvard Medical School in Boston and there was a man out front on Brookline ave. with a giant inflatable rat and he was strapped to it. Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                X