Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID this weird tank, please

Hia folks

I'm trying to ID this tank. It's clearly some weird conversion of a T-34, but I can't find anything definite on it. I've seen it called a mobile flamethrower, an AAA, a multiple-grenade launcher... any ideas?

My google-fu says:

It is Chinese modification of T34-85. Those thingies next to the turret are machine guns. So it is used as anti-personal or as AA support, maybe?

Here is another, better photo:

It is on display at National Defense Center in Shanghai.

Edit: Some other sources say flametrowers.

Let me know if you find out more.

Edit^2: It's a Nimitz Class CV in the background, Made of concrete ;)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Doktor; 31 Jul 13,, 18:27.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      My google-fu says:

It is Chinese modification of T34-85. Those thingies next to the turret are machine guns. So it is used as anti-personal or as AA support, maybe?

Edit: Some other sources say flametrowers.
      Yeah, this is what I got as well, althought "flamethrower" is a really weird possibility...

Comment

I highly doubt those to be flamethrowers. Where's the fuel tank?
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

gunnut,

can you read what's on the red plate? or on the silver one in the first pic?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

gunnut,

can you read what's on the red plate? or on the silver one in the first pic?
            I've not used Chinese in so long it's now quite terrible. But anyhow the 2nd picture is too small for me to even make out the characters.
            The first picture has both Chinese and English characters. You can barely make out 2 of the English words; "climb" and "forb" (forbidden?).

Comment

Makes sense. All those kids around ;)

Comment

Makes sense. All those kids around ;)
                I think I recognise something on the 2nd picture now. 请 and 手. Probably "please do not touch". Not related to the exhibit itself.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  I highly doubt those to be flamethrowers. Where's the fuel tank?
                  Not to mention the whole "12 barrels" thing...

My best guess is an AAA, based mainly on the fact that the whole thing seems to elevate. But, again, why 12 guns?! And I see no sights...

Looks more something out of steampunk or Warhammer 40k...

Comment

It would use the standard gunner sights, you don't need an extra sight for something that is co-axle. They would just have to devise a FCS that would offset the sight by whatever distance the guns are off-barrel and calculate the parallax, or just train the gunner to lead his target, spray and pray.

By the way, Dok, that's a replica of a Minsk-class aircraft carrier with Yak's aboard, not a Nimitz
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

A little more Google-Fu and websearch says it's a T34-85 1945 turret. The machine guns were apparently dual-purpose, both AA and infantry support.
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                        By the way, Dok, that's a replica of a Minsk-class aircraft carrier with Yak's aboard, not a Nimitz
                        Not to be pedantic but that is a replica Nimitz. China doesn't have a replica Kiev-class, they have the real thing (twice). They do have a replica Varyag/Liaoning, but for training.

Replica 'Aircraft carrier' spotted on Chinese mainland

Minsk World

China to open luxury hotel on Soviet aircraft carrier Kiev

Concrete Aircraft Carrier Building Discovered In Wuhan
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Then I stand corrected

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            Not to be pedantic but that is a replica Nimitz. China doesn't have a replica Kiev-class, they have the real thing (twice). They do have a replica Varyag/Liaoning, but for training.

Replica 'Aircraft carrier' spotted on Chinese mainland

Minsk World

China to open luxury hotel on Soviet aircraft carrier Kiev

Concrete Aircraft Carrier Building Discovered In Wuhan
                            Weird. Why would you put Yaks on an replica American carrier? Why didn't they just build replica F-18's & S-3's?
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

The Yaks were cheaper than the replica F-18 and S-3 kits.

Comment

Working...
                              X