Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manning acquitted of aid the enemy, guilty of espionage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning acquitted of aid the enemy, guilty of espionage.

The U.S. Army soldier charged with providing troves of government documents to the whistleblowing website Wikileaks was found not guilty Tuesday of aiding the enemy, the top charge in his 21-count indictment, which could have carried a life sentence.

Prosecutors had to prove Army Pfc. Bradley Manning had "a general evil intent" and knew the classified material would be seen by the terrorist group Al Qaeda. Legal experts said an aiding-the- enemy conviction could set a precedent because Manning did not directly give the classified material to Al Qaeda.

Bradley Manning not guilty of aiding the enemy in WikiLeaks case, convicted of lesser charges | Fox News

ZR- verdict seems to have followed a traditional course rather than breaking any new legal ground. Manning will probably be facing 20+ years.

Malignant little shit stain certainly got off easily.

Hey remember when Wikileaks was a big deal? Don't hear much about it anymore...probably because it couldn't prove what it so desperately wanted to: The U.S. government is an evil empire-building monolith that wants to control the world .

Ah well, back to the drawing board.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

It's the corporations, man...
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Malignant little shit stain certainly got off easily.

Hey remember when Wikileaks was a big deal? Don't hear much about it anymore...probably because it couldn't prove what it so desperately wanted to: The U.S. government is an evil empire-building monolith that wants to control the world .

Ah well, back to the drawing board.
        But this is about Manning, not a media site. Manning broke the law, however much he was motivated by his moral convictions. Thus I don't think he got off easy, he is looking at decades in prison. He was rightly found guilty of the laws he broke. Obamabucks going to Al Queda in Syria, telling the Taliban in A-stan our timetable or the refusal to issue the go order for relief forces in Libya have done more to directly aid our enemies than exposing war crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          Thus I don't think he got off easy, he is looking at decades in prison. He was rightly found guilty of the laws he broke.
          I mean he could've wound up with his back against the wall. I would not shed a single tear if that had happened.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I mean he could've wound up with his back against the wall. I would not shed a single tear if that had happened.
            Besides aiding the enemy was he charged with any other capitol offenses? The espionage charges have specific conditions that have to be met in order to make them a capitol case. Conditions I don't think the government was able to meet.

Also, I'm not sure a single judge can impose a death penalty. I think by choosing trial by judge instead of courts martial tribunal he took death off the table.

Comment

Besides aiding the enemy was he charged with any other capitol offenses? The espionage charges have specific conditions that have to be met in order to make them a capitol case. Conditions I don't think the government was able to meet.
              To elaborate: If Manning had been found guilty of Article 104, Aiding The Enemy, he could have been executed. He was acquitted of this, and so IMO got off lucky. Instead he'll simply do some, or a lot of, time.

Comment

So, presidential pardon at the end of Obama's term anyone?
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                  So, presidential pardon at the end of Obama's term anyone?
                  Somehow I doubt that will occur.

Comment

To elaborate: If Manning had been found guilty of Article 104, Aiding The Enemy, he could have been executed. He was acquitted of this, and so IMO got off lucky. Instead he'll simply do some, or a lot of, time.
                    I'm glad he was acquitted of that charge, a society that executes those who air its dirty laundry and that declares the media an enemy is a scary thought. As it is he is facing up to a max of 136 years if run end to end.

Now come the appeals, denial of a speedy trial, cruel and unusual punishment, law is over broad.....

Pari, with the way Obama/Holder have gone after leakers it s ore likely for POTUS to arrange for manning to have an accident.

Comment

Pari, with the way Obama/Holder have gone after leakers it s ore likely for POTUS to arrange for manning to have an accident.
                      Now you're veering into conspiracy theory territory. ;)

Comment

I watched a Guardian documentary on Manning and WikiLeaks two years ago. Manning's fate seemed to be the subject of an internal controversy within WikiLeaks. Assange's colleagues were aghast that he was intent on publishing the entire cache of information without censoring sensitive data that could put lives at risk, or his failure to make any attempt to protect the identity of their source, both of which are non-negotiable standards for conventional media. Assange's actions, viewed as feckless by his critics, had crippled the organization as much as outside actions.

Originally posted by Wiki
                        "Within WikiLeaks, there has been public disagreement between founder and spokesperson Julian Assange and Daniel Domscheit-Berg, the website's former German representative who was suspended by Assange. Domscheit-Berg announced on 28 September 2010 that he was leaving the organisation due to internal conflicts over management of the website.[95][263][264] ... Herbert Snorrason, a 25-year-old Icelandic university student, resigned after he challenged Assange on his decision to suspend Domscheit-Berg and was bluntly rebuked.[267] Iceland MP Birgitta Jónsdóttir also left WikiLeaks, citing lack of transparency, lack of structure, and poor communication flow in the organisation.[273] According to the periodical The Independent (London), at least a dozen key supporters of WikiLeaks left the website during 2010.[274]"

I don't feel Manning was guilty of aiding and abetting the enemy. WikiLeaks isn't officially an enemy of the state. he violated violated more than his fair bit of the military code of conduct, and he's going to continue paying for the foolish mistakes he's made.
                        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Now you're veering into conspiracy theory territory. ;)
                          Not really, we know for a fact that Obama has with malice aforethought killed American citizens....

Comment

Not really, we know for a fact that Obama has with malice aforethought killed American citizens....
                            Hanlon's Razor

Comment

Hanlon's Razor
                              I said it was more likely that Obama would arrange annings demise than grant him a pardon, not that Obama would arrange his demise. Do you disagree?

Will b e interesting to see how the appeals process plays out after the sentencing.

The government has already acknowledged that he was subjected to unlawful conditions at Quantico and applied a judicial remedy that may well be found to be insufficient given the nature of the abuses.

Comment

Working...
                              X