Remington Model 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington Model 700

Gonna buy a Remington model 700 in .270 Winchester for deer season this fall. The SPS model is on sale. Anyone have experience with these rifles? I know they are on the low end of the model 700 range, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money to upgrade to a BDL or CDL given that even the cheaper models have the same model 700 action which is what you're paying for.

Also, anyone have a preference between a 22" and 24" barrel for deer?

It's tough to go wrong with a 700... as far as barrel length goes, my preference would be 24", but if your hunt is wooded, shorter can be nicer. Invest in some good glass, and you'll be well equipped.

Comment

For non magnum calibers, non bull bareled, and non varmint rigs I would go with the shorter barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
        For non magnum calibers, non bull bareled, and non varmint rigs I would go with the shorter barrel.
        The shorter barrel will be slightly more accurate but the longer barrel will provide a greater slug velocity, is that correct?

Comment

As a general rule yes. Long, light weight barrels are more whippy. That is why some loadings may have an harmonic signature that may match up with a particular barrel. Additionally sometimes one barrel may be faster than another of the same length and sometimes carries over to dissimilar barrel lengths.

Comment

Key word being 'light''. Otherwise the long heavy barrels are more accurate.But it also depends on the rifling,bullet wieght etc...But I see no need for a range greater than 300m in this scenario.And that's the maximum.Also no need for CT sniper levels of accuracy.
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
              The shorter barrel will be slightly more accurate but the longer barrel will provide a greater slug velocity, is that correct?
              not really. there are too many varuables for accuracy, same rifle can have either 2" or 0.5" group with different loads. round you use has a lot more to do with accuracy than barrel lenght.
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                Key word being 'light''. Otherwise the long heavy barrels are more accurate.But it also depends on the rifling,bullet wieght etc...But I see no need for a range greater than 300m in this scenario.And that's the maximum.Also no need for CT sniper levels of accuracy.
                You are just jealous to the idea that other people might have your tech
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

From what I've seen/read, you will lose about 50 FPS with the shorter barrel. Out to 300 yds you won't be able to tell the difference

Comment

Out of curiosity do you need some of ranges being talked about here for a scrub rifle? If you are only using it in forest conditions most days where would you get a shot over say 100 metres, even allowing for clearings etc? Maybe something heavier but slower? Just asking out of interest no criticism intended.
                    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                      Out of curiosity do you need some of ranges being talked about here for a scrub rifle? If you are only using it in forest conditions most days where would you get a shot over say 100 metres, even allowing for clearings etc? Maybe something heavier but slower? Just asking out of interest no criticism intended.
                      Actually I primarily hunt deer out in the prairies in the coulees. So although you'd have no problem spotting a deer at 300+ yards, I don't think I'd take a shot at any more than 200 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
                        Gonna buy a Remington model 700 in .270 Winchester for deer season this fall. The SPS model is on sale. Anyone have experience with these rifles? I know they are on the low end of the model 700 range, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money to upgrade to a BDL or CDL given that even the cheaper models have the same model 700 action which is what you're paying for.

Also, anyone have a preference between a 22" and 24" barrel for deer?
                        My first and for most deer rifle is a Remington BDL in .270. I got it in 1982 and it still has not lost anything as far as accuracy and never gave me any problems. Unless you have a specific reason for either length barrel I wouldn't worry about it. Never lose sight of the fact that a gun's most important feature is to hit whatever you are shooting at. As long as the gun does that safely and reliably, you have a winner. A prettier rifle doesn't bring the game in any closer.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Do a bit of research and ask some questions before you buy a current model Remington 700. They were historically great rifles and I was going to buy one myself, but since they moved their factory to New York and employed cheap labor they have had a lot of quality control issues. Same for Marlin which was bought out by Remington. The gunshop guy steered me clear of them and told me to buy a Tikka instead which are particularly well priced at the moment here , though there are other good brands like Browning or Savage which may be cheaper in North America.
                          "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Working...
                          X