X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey clears bird held as Israeli spy

Turkey clears bird held as Israeli spy

Turkey clears bird held as Israeli spy

Kestrel captured with Tel Aviv University tag and X-rayed as Mossad agent before being released back into wild

By TIMES OF ISRAEL STAFF July 26, 2013, 2:43 pm

A bird captured in Turkey on suspicion of being an Israeli spy was released after a thorough examination revealed that the falcon was not in the employ of the Mossad.

Resident of the Ağın district in the eastern province of Elazığ became concerned after a kestrel, with a tag reading “24311 Tel Avivunia Israel,” ventured nearby, Turkish media reported Friday.

After capturing the winged invader, locals turned it over to Turkish authorities, who had the bird X-rayed at a nearby university, according to the Turkish news outlet Hurriyet.

The bird was apparently registered as an “Israeli spy” by medical personnel.

After determining that the bird had been tagged for research purposes and not snooping, authorities released the kestrel back into the sky.

Israeli use of non-human spies is apparently a large concern in the Middle East. In May of 2012, authorities in Ankara dissected a European bee-eater after becoming concerned that it was carrying an Israeli listening device, and in December an eagle with an Israeli tag in Sudan was captured and touted as a Mossad spy.

In 2010, an Egyptian official said Israel-controlled sharks could be involved in a number of attacks on tourists in the Red Sea.
    You honestly cannot make this crap up. Are people really that stupid?!
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

what would you expect from religious dumbs?...

again congrats to who supported those morons even BEFORE those religious dumbs got the chair.

we are now being ruled & represented by some religious morons...

you are fortunate not to hear some real ongoing idiotic debates in here...

god i miss Ataturk...
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

People in Hartlepool UK once hung a monkey as they thought it a French spy , i kid you not .

The Hartlepool Monkey, Who hung the monkey? - This is Hartlepool

Comment

[QUOTE=tankie;924744]People in Hartlepool UK once hung a monkey as they thought it a French spy , i kid you not .

If I were a comedian, like Don Rickles, that line would open up a ton of possibilities. Yet why start an international incident and get sued by Air France ;)

Comment

Maybe they thought it was a Heron?

I'm sorry, I truly am. I fought this stupid pun all day and had to do it.
          "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Yeah, and if Israel had caught a falcon with an Iranian or Hezbollah RFID tag on it, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'd do at least a cursory examination of the bird. And Israel is so achingly paranoid (which helps it justify its flagrant trashing of international law I might add). Plus electronic sensors, video cameras are incredibly tiny these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatboy View Post
              Yeah, and if Israel had caught a falcon with an Iranian or Hezbollah RFID tag on it, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'd do at least a cursory examination of the bird. And Israel is so achingly paranoid (which helps it justify its flagrant trashing of international law I might add). Plus electronic sensors, video cameras are incredibly tiny these days.
              Israel is NOT achingly paranoid and the only people that dont understand the Israeli's stance on Gaza etc obviously never had rockets launched at their neighborhoods nor threatened on a daily basis while the rest of the world ignores the fact that she is surrounded on many sides with terror supporting countries and proxies and do absolutely zero about it including calling their host countries before the UNSC.

When you are the smallest "different" country in that part of the world surrounded by unfriendly countries who would like nothing more then removing your nation from the globe then perhaps you may understand.

For every "flagrant trashing" of International Law you speak of, there are countries whose terrorist proxies that act against Israel "flagrantly trash" International Law every single day without being taken to task for it.

What would you expect them to do but react in a harsh manor when provoked by something everyone else ignores.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

We don't want evil israeli birds on our soil :pari:

Attached Files

Comment

Nice to know these idiots x rayed a harmless beautiful bird and probably did it more harm then anything.

A Falcon is Jewish? Stop it! Yeah, and the the bird that sits on my dinner table on holidays is no more "Turkish" then the bird family it descends from.
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 30 Jul 13,, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    Israel is NOT achingly paranoid and the only people that dont understand the Israeli's stance on Gaza etc obviously never had rockets launched at their neighborhoods nor threatened on a daily basis while the rest of the world ignores the fact that she is surrounded on many sides with terror supporting countries and proxies and do absolutely zero about it including calling their host countries before the UNSC.
                    And how precisely is Israel's continual subjugation, and illegal encroachment of the West Bank, from which ZERO rockets have been fired in years, justified, except by paranoia? Ripping away their civil rights because of some faint connection to Hamas and Hezbullah? I've heard the ridiculous term "Auschwitz borders" as a reason not to give the Palestinians a homeland in the West Bank. What is Israel afraid (er paranoid) of? Marauding Jordanian panzer divisions? These West Bank Palestinians are martially impotent, have no desire now or ever to challenge Israeli military, have proved themselves to be reasonable partners for peace (I ask again, how many rockets? How many attacks by settlers have they endured in the meantime?) The PA, Abbas has already acknowledged that they have no issue with the existence of an Israeli state on the pre-1967 borders - and have given the green light to some land swap agreements as well. At BEST this amounts to irrational Israeli paranoia, but lets call it what it really is: Israeli expansionism. Ever heard the term a billion Chinese can't be wrong? Well, pretty much the rest of the planet thinks it's expansionism too. Unless you think Vietnamese, Bolivians and Panamanians are anti-Semitic.

Regarding Gaza, no I don't agree with rockets being launched at Israel (Gaza's only ability to hurt Israel at all), but it's not a completely surprising reaction to the continued occupation (ok, I'll change that to illegal blockade), of Gaza. The people of Gaza are legitimately angry with Israel, as they should be given Israel's continued oppression. That unfortunately translates to occasional low tech rockets being fired -- a crime. Is it really a mortal threat though? More rockets were launched during Cast Lead, but what was the civilian death count disparity? 1400 in Gaza to a handful of Israelis?

When you are the smallest "different" country in that part of the world surrounded by unfriendly countries who would like nothing more then removing your nation from the globe then perhaps you may understand.
                    Palestine is smaller, and is under a greater threat from Israel, than Israel is from surrounding countries. And, Israel's "exceptionalism", is one of the thought processes that Israel uses to justify abuse. It wants a "free pass" because it's "different".

surrounded by unfriendly countries who would like nothing more then removing your nation from the globe then perhaps you may understand.
                    Jordan? Turkey? Egypt? These countries are conspiring to remove Israel from the globe? Paranoia again. Probably has to do with the paranoid idea that inside every Arab nation's government, there are active and continually updated plans to destroy Israel. Just because they aren't buddies, doesn't mean they're enemies (another Israeli paranoid thought: not allies means they are out to destroy you). The existence of long term, carved in stone peace treaties is enough. The only country that might pose a threat to Israel someday is Iran -- and they're hardly neighbors, nor are they even Arab.

For every "flagrant trashing" of International Law you speak of, there are countries whose terrorist proxies that act against Israel "flagrantly trash" International Law every single day without being taken to task for it.
                    Syria is being diplomatically ground into the dust. Libya was dealt with even more harshly. Hezbullah isn't on anyone Christmas list in the EU, or the US, nor is Iran.

What would you expect them to do but react in a harsh manor when provoked by something everyone else ignores.
                    I expect Israel to remove the shackles from the only Arabs under its jurisdiction: the Palestinians.

I expect Israel to behave itself. The rest of the world expects it to also.
                    Last edited by Goatboy; 30 Jul 13,, 17:51.

Comment

Oh, wow, friend, there is so much here that I could respond to, but I'm just waaaay too tired. I'll maybe get back to this tomorrow, when I'm not tanked from work and writing papers....
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

At least it is not college this time :Dancing-Banana:

Goatboy,
                        You had a point when you reversed the roles. I believe Israel would have done the same with the bird.

And how precisely is Israel's continual subjugation, and illegal encroachment of the West Bank, from which ZERO rockets have been fired in years, justified, except by paranoia?
                        Zero? Define "in years" part. More then one?

Ripping away their civil rights because of some faint connection to Hamas and Hezbullah?
                        It is actually Catch-22 situation. Some Pals join said groups because of Israeli measures, because of the attacks of the said group who are filled with Pals...

I've heard the ridiculous term "Auschwitz borders" as a reason not to give the Palestinians a homeland in the West Bank. What is Israel afraid (er paranoid) of? Marauding Jordanian panzer divisions?
                        Like you wouldn't be, if you have been attacked from same persons several times.

These West Bank Palestinians are martially impotent, have no desire now or ever to challenge Israeli military, have proved themselves to be reasonable partners for peace (I ask again, how many rockets?
                        Again, what time frame?

How many attacks by settlers have they endured in the meantime?)
                        More important, what does State of Israel do to punish such acts and to prevent from repeating.

The PA, Abbas has already acknowledged that they have no issue with the existence of an Israeli state on the pre-1967 borders - and have given the green light to some land swap agreements as well.
                        What land swaps. I have 0 land you have 10,000 acres. Now you agree to give me 450 acres, but I will trade 100 with 100 of what you want

Israel occupied the land fair and square from the previous occupying forces. It is up to Israel to set the conditions. They have the right to be secure.

At BEST this amounts to irrational Israeli paranoia, but lets call it what it really is: Israeli expansionism. Ever heard the term a billion Chinese can't be wrong? Well, pretty much the rest of the planet thinks it's expansionism too. Unless you think Vietnamese, Bolivians and Panamanians are anti-Semitic.
                        The problem is pretty much the rest of the planet doesn't give a fly for it most of the time. Western hemisphere (even when the economy was blooming) was more concerned about their pets or consumer electronics then the Jews and the Pals.

Regarding Gaza, no I don't agree with rockets being launched at Israel (Gaza's only ability to hurt Israel at all), but it's not a completely surprising reaction to the continued occupation (ok, I'll change that to illegal blockade), of Gaza.
                        To my understanding Palestinian state should have had some lands in Egypt and Jordan. Why they are not pressing those countries to let them have a state?

The people of Gaza are legitimately angry with Israel, as they should be given Israel's continued oppression. That unfortunately translates to occasional low tech rockets being fired -- a crime. Is it really a mortal threat though? More rockets were launched during Cast Lead, but what was the civilian death count disparity? 1400 in Gaza to a handful of Israelis?
                        So, if it was 1,400 Israeli dead it would have been OK? After all, it's even.

Palestine is smaller, and is under a greater threat from Israel, than Israel is from surrounding countries. And, Israel's "exceptionalism", is one of the thought processes that Israel uses to justify abuse. It wants a "free pass" because it's "different".
                        Can you tell me how big Palestine is? And then let's put it in proportion.

Jordan? Turkey? Egypt? These countries are conspiring to remove Israel from the globe? Paranoia again. Probably has to do with the paranoid idea that inside every Arab nation's government, there are active and continually updated plans to destroy Israel.
                        Just because they aren't buddies, doesn't mean they're enemies (another Israeli paranoid thought: not allies means they are out to destroy you). The existence of long term, carved in stone peace treaties is enough. The only country that might pose a threat to Israel someday is Iran -- and they're hardly neighbors, nor are they even Arab.
                        Jordan and Egypt attacked Israel in the past. More then once. That's not exactly "not-buddies".

Syria is being diplomatically ground into the dust. Libya was dealt with even more harshly. Hezbullah isn't on anyone Christmas list in the EU, or the US, nor is Iran.

I expect Israel to remove the shackles from the only Arabs under its jurisdiction: the Palestinians.
                        You do realize there are Arabs with Israeli passports? Some of them serve in the IDF.

Let me ask you something. Did Israel ever broke an agreed cease fire?
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Awwwwwwwww ffs , not again , :slap:

Comment

And how precisely is Israel's continual subjugation, and illegal encroachment of the West Bank, from which ZERO rockets have been fired in years, justified, except by paranoia? Ripping away their civil rights because of some faint connection to Hamas and Hezbullah? I've heard the ridiculous term "Auschwitz borders" as a reason not to give the Palestinians a homeland in the West Bank. What is Israel afraid (er paranoid) of? Marauding Jordanian panzer divisions? These West Bank Palestinians are martially impotent, have no desire now or ever to challenge Israeli military, have proved themselves to be reasonable partners for peace (I ask again, how many rockets? How many attacks by settlers have they endured in the meantime?) The PA, Abbas has already acknowledged that they have no issue with the existence of an Israeli state on the pre-1967 borders - and have given the green light to some land swap agreements as well. At BEST this amounts to irrational Israeli paranoia, but lets call it what it really is: Israeli expansionism. Ever heard the term a billion Chinese can't be wrong? Well, pretty much the rest of the planet thinks it's expansionism too. Unless you think Vietnamese, Bolivians and Panamanians are anti-Semitic.

Regarding Gaza, no I don't agree with rockets being launched at Israel (Gaza's only ability to hurt Israel at all), but it's not a completely surprising reaction to the continued occupation (ok, I'll change that to illegal blockade), of Gaza. The people of Gaza are legitimately angry with Israel, as they should be given Israel's continued oppression. That unfortunately translates to occasional low tech rockets being fired -- a crime. Is it really a mortal threat though? More rockets were launched during Cast Lead, but what was the civilian death count disparity? 1400 in Gaza to a handful of Israelis?

Jordan? Turkey? Egypt? These countries are conspiring to remove Israel from the globe? Paranoia again. Probably has to do with the paranoid idea that inside every Arab nation's government, there are active and continually updated plans to destroy Israel. Just because they aren't buddies, doesn't mean they're enemies (another Israeli paranoid thought: not allies means they are out to destroy you). The existence of long term, carved in stone peace treaties is enough. The only country that might pose a threat to Israel someday is Iran -- and they're hardly neighbors, nor are they even Arab.

Question: Who owns the area? Not Palestine, Not Abbas, Not Hamas. It was given to Israel by the worlds leading powers.

The area West of the Jordan (and, by the way, also East) were given to the Jews by the Principal Allied Powers at the Paris Peace Conference after WW1. Their decision was recorded in the minutes of the San Remo conference in April 1920. The Allied Powers were the only parties who had the right or power to dispose of this territory. This disposition was effected in the form of the Mandate for Palestine, which was adopted by the League of Nations in 1922 and assumed by the United Nations upon its creation in 1948, and nothing since 1922 changes the legal status of those internationally binding documents.

Enter the six day war...........
                            Although given to the state of Israel by the Allied Powers at the close of WWI, somehow, someway the wishes of the other factions seem to prevail in their own minds.......

The Six-Day War between Israel and its Arab neighbors ends with a United Nations-brokered cease-fire. The outnumbered Israel Defense Forces achieved a swift and decisive victory in the brief war, rolling over the Arab coalition that threatened the Jewish state and more than doubling the amount of territory under Israel's control. The greatest fruit of victory lay in seizing the Old City of Jerusalem from Jordan; thousands of Jews wept while bent in prayer at the Second Temple's Western Wall.

Increased tensions and skirmishes along Israel's northern border with Syria were the immediate cause of the third Arab-Israeli war. In 1967, Syria intensified its bombardment of Israeli settlements across the border, and Israel struck back by shooting down six Syrian MiG fighters. After Syria alleged in May 1967 that Israel was massing troops along the border, Egypt mobilized its forces and demanded the withdrawal of the U.N. Emergency Force from the Israel-Egypt cease-fire lines of the 1956 conflict. The U.N. peacekeepers left on May 19, and three days later Egypt closed the Strait of Tiran to Israeli shipping. On May 30, Jordan signed a mutual-defense treaty with Egypt and Syria, and other Arab states, including Iraq, Kuwait, and Algeria, sent troop contingents to join the Arab coalition against Israel.

With every sign of a pan-Arab attack in the works, Israel's government on June 4 authorized its armed forces to launch a surprise preemptive strike. On June 5, the Six-Day War began with an Israeli assault against Arab air power. In a brilliant attack, the Israeli air force caught the formidable Egyptian air force on the ground and largely destroyed the Arabs' most powerful weapon. The Israeli air force then turned against the lesser air forces of Jordan, Syria, and Iraq, and by the end of the day had decisively won air superiority.

Beginning on June 5, Israel focused the main effort of its ground forces against Egypt's Gaza Strip and the Sinai Peninsula. In a lightning attack, the Israelis burst through the Egyptian lines and across the Sinai. The Egyptians fought resolutely but were outflanked by the Israelis and decimated in lethal air attacks. By June 8, the Egyptian forces were defeated, and Israel held the Gaza Strip and the Sinai to the Suez Canal.

Meanwhile, to the east of Israel, Jordan began shelling its Jewish neighbor on June 5, provoking a rapid and overwhelming response from Israeli forces. Israel overran the West Bank and on June 7 captured the Old City of East Jerusalem. The chief chaplain of the Israel Defense Forces blew a ram's horn at the Western Wall to announce the reunification of East Jerusalem with the Israeli-administered western sector.

To the north, Israel bombarded Syria's fortified Golan Heights for two days before launching a tank and infantry assault on June 9. After a day of fierce fighting, the Syrians began a retreat from the Golan Heights on June 10. On June 11, a U.N.-brokered cease-fire took effect throughout the three combat zones, and the Six-Day War was at an end. Israel had more than doubled its size in the six days of fighting.

The U.N. Security Council called for a withdrawal from all the occupied regions, but Israel declined, permanently annexing East Jerusalem and setting up military administrations in the occupied territories. Israel let it be known that Gaza, the West Bank, the Golan Heights, and the Sinai would be returned in exchange for Arab recognition of the right of Israel to exist and guarantees against future attack. Arab leaders, stinging from their defeat, met in August to discuss the future of the Middle East. They decided upon a policy of no peace, no negotiations, and no recognition of Israel, and made plans to zealously defend the rights of Palestinian Arabs in the occupied territories.

Egypt, however, would eventually negotiate and make peace with Israel, and in 1982 the Sinai Peninsula was returned to Egypt in exchange for full diplomatic recognition of Israel. Egypt and Jordan later gave up their respective claims to the Gaza Strip and the West Bank to the Palestinians, who beginning in the 1990s opened "land for peace" talks with Israel. The East Bank territory has since been returned to Jordan. In 2005, Israel left the Gaza Strip. Still, a permanent Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement remains elusive, as does an agreement with Syria to return the Golan Heights.

Convinced that peace with Israel would reap an enormous "peace dividend," Sadat initiated his most important diplomatic ploy. In a speach to the Egyptian parliament in 1977, Sadat affirmed his desire to go anywhere to negotiate a peace with the Israelis. Even, he affirmed, he would go to the Israeli parliament to speak for peace. The Israeli's responded with an invitation to do just that and Sadat's speech to the Israeli Knesset initiated a new momentum for peace that would eventually culminate in the 1978 Camp David Accords and a final peace treaty with Israel in 1979.

Anwar Sadat payed for that one with his life. Because he choose real peace with Israel and was assasinated for it.

The UN now recognizes the Palestinians, However, also is well aware of Hamas. The same Hamas that has sparked attacks on Israel for the last two decades if not more. The same Hamas that the Israelis wont allow to get arms via Gaza. Although they still are.

Do you know where they come from?

When Abbas and Hamas want Peace, There just might be.

Israel offered it to them in the beginning as shown above so trying to stand here and make a point about those that were given the chance long, long ago and discarded it because of their own selfish wound licking is not a or any other pretext for Israel to just hand over anything.

And by the way....The people of Gaza if anything should be angry with their terror host Hamas. The very same Hamas that runs and hides behind the people when the Israeli's retalliate in turn from attacks.

BUT, since they do not elect someone else to government and except Hamas they turn their anger at the Israeli's.

Yep, makes perfect sense to me.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 30 Jul 13,, 19:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              Goatboy,
                              You had a point when you reversed the roles. I believe Israel would have done the same with the bird.
                              The miniaturization of electronics is an awfully game-changing thing, regardless of politics I suppose.

So, if it was 1,400 Israeli dead it would have been OK? After all, it's even.
                              I'd hate that. I was merely pointing out the suffering of the Palestinian civilian population of Gaza. That they suffered is indisputable. I say they suffered excessively

Can you tell me how big Palestine is? And then let's put it in proportion.
                              With Palestine's continually "morphing" territory -- shrinking, sectioned off -- it's uniquely hard to say how big it is. A mosaic of small reservations criss-crossed by Jewish only roads, and subjected to various forms of economic, political and military control makes it difficult to define size. One word I'd never use to define Palestine is "contiguous". (I'm discussing the West Bank here for simplicity sake). Netanyahu likes to think of the entire Jordan Valley as defacto Israeli territory -- although he says it's only a "security zone". Maybe he has something in mind for the whole of Area C?

If you asked me how large the West Bank and Gaza were, in square miles, in 1967, then I could look it up and quote a figure of a few thousand square kilometers. But that statistic is irrelevant.

Jordan and Egypt attacked Israel in the past. More then once. That's not exactly "not-buddies".
                              So Jordan and Egypt are permanent enemies, and should always be treated as such? Something like North Korea and South Korea? Jordan (the nation bordering the West Bank) is so far from a threat it's not even worth discussing, and certainly not fair for Israel to assume it is one. Whether a pre-emptive Israeli strike in 1967 could be viewed at "Egypt attacking" is up for debate -- but even assuming it is, that was 40 years, and an iron-clad peace treaty ago. Conversely, I don't give Egypt much justification for worrying Israel will attack it again in the manner it did in 1956.

You do realize there are Arabs with Israeli passports? Some of them serve in the IDF.
                              Sure, some serve in the IDF. Druze Arabs, Christian Arabs, Jewish Arabs. Of the millions of Palestinian Arab Muslims between the Jordan river and the sea, how many of them serve?

Let me ask you something. Did Israel ever broke an agreed cease fire?

Regarding Hamas, both sides have broken ceasefire agreements numerous times. Whether a single rocket constitutes a broken ceasefire, or an F-15 sponsored assassination of a Hamas commander is a breaking of a ceasefire is an open question. Whether closing the straits of Turan by Egypt in 1967 was a situation justifying an all-out Israeli first strike campaign to obliterate all neighboring militaries is also an open question. Doesn't matter. What matters is what happens during the peace that follows.
                              Last edited by Goatboy; 30 Jul 13,, 20:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X