No announcement yet.

India: Army 'mistook planets for spy drones'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing interesting. It would have been a standard procedural examination of the coordinates of stars and planets at that border outpost, allowing the Indian Army to eliminate them in future observations. Which is standard at all aerial detection outposts.

Some journalist has heard about it (probably from someone at the Institute of Astrophysics) and created a story out of nothing. We should not over read it.

Comment

I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but the CO of Constellation, me, and the Operations Officer all talked ourselves into launching the Alert Five F-14 at Venus. It's not as dumb as it sounds when you are operating in EMCON Alpha (no radiating at all) and relying solely on the Mark One, Mod Zero, Eyeball, One Each. Planet rises just above the horizon on a warm night off Hawaii and it shimmers in a way that looks a lot like an aircraft flying at low altitude with its running lights on. We were participating in RIMPAC 80 and we knew there were P-3Cs out of NAS Barber's Point looking for us. Better safe than sorry. Took about two minutes for the aircrew to report the actual situation and we brought them right back. No worries.

Comment

Working...
      X