An Afghan Church Grows in Delhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
    Afghans are Afghans. Not Indians. The Indian state has a duty to protect Indian citizens first.
    Protecting refugees is the core mandate of UNHCR.

Governments normally guarantee the basic human rights and physical security of their citizens. But when people become refugees this safety net disappears. Refugees fleeing war or persecution are often in a very vulnerable situation. They have no protection from their own state - indeed it is often their own government that is threatening to persecute them. If other countries do not let them in, and do not protect and help them once they are in, then they may be condemning them to an intolerable situation where their basic rights, security and, in some cases their lives, are in danger.

The protection of 34.4 million uprooted or stateless people is the core mandate of UNHCR. The agency does this in several ways: it ensures the basic human rights of uprooted or stateless people in their countries of asylum or habitual residence end that refugees will not be returned involuntarily to a country where they could face persecution. Longer term, the organization helps refugees find appropriate durable solutions to their plight, by repatriating voluntarily to their homeland, integrating in countries of asylum or resettling in third countries.
    Protecting Refugees

India is a member state of the UN, so it's under obligation to protect Afghans or any other refugees inside India, with whatever scarce resources it has. Not doing so amounts to basic human rights violation and that is highly regrettable.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I'd have loved to visit Ukraine and Russia but the reports of widespread xenophobia are a little discouraging
      My cousins loved their time there and didn't experience any xenophobia. It's quite a happening nightlife there, apparently.

Afghans are Afghans. Not Indians. The Indian state has a duty to protect Indian citizens first.
      The Indian state has the duty to enforce the laws of it's lands.
      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
        If we plan to fill the shortfall in the next ten years then we will have to create 250,000 doctors each year. From 35,000/yr to 250,000/yr(that's more than 7 times the current rate). I have not even considered the increase in pop in 10 years.

If india doesn't do something drastic in the next decades, finding a doctor will become like finding a leprechaun.
        This sounds a lot like what i heard in an interview over a year back with Devi Shetty on the BBC.

Part 1
        Part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
          Just a quick aside. Although few would imagine it, there are many Indians in my birth city of Zaporozhye.
          So, in my city we have an unknown soldier memorial known as Minsk Square. I'm not sure how many people in my city could find Minsk on the map but they certainly know were the square is in my city. Lots of underground tunneling going on there for the metro.

Was curious about the origins of the name but could only find this..

The War Memorial was first originally dedicated to those from Bangalore who died in the Great war 1914 - 1918 and later WW2, North-East Frontier Agency (NEFA) operations, Kashmir and Indo-Pak wars.
          Suppose Minsk is where there was a major offensive in WW1 and they died there ?

Bangalore and Minsk are twin cities.

There is an Indian connection with the Ukraine too as few weeks after we discussed your elections, your president came over for a visit. Was surprised to see his photo so soon with our PM & President.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 27 Jul 13,, 16:52.

Comment

WRONG!!!!!

India has a duty to protect its citizens AND its guests and law-abiding visitors. There are no second-class citizenry here. Every one is equal before the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              I'm not sure how many people in my city could find Minsk on the map but they certainly know were the square is in my city. Lots of underground tunneling going on there for the metro.
              Here are some pics of a few stations on the Minsk-Metro underground. They are all utterly spotless with not even a hint of graffiti anywhere.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X