An Afghan Church Grows in Delhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
    They are cheaper than most Indian medical schools.
    Actually, india doesn't have enough medical colleges. All indian colleges combined can produce a max of 35,000 medical graduates per year. That is beside the point that these guys are known to migrate oversees.

India has 1 doctor per 1700 people
    Europe has 1 doctor per 300 people

India currently has 500,000 doctors when it actually needs 3 million(a shortfall of 2.5 million)

If we plan to fill the shortfall in the next ten years then we will have to create 250,000 doctors each year. From 35,000/yr to 250,000/yr(that's more than 7 times the current rate). I have not even considered the increase in pop in 10 years.

If india doesn't do something drastic in the next decades, finding a doctor will become like finding a leprechaun.

Credits should go to shiv@BR for creating a narrative out of ordinary data. He has more on the shortfalls on that thread. BRF - View topic - Know Your India
    Last edited by anil; 24 Jul 13,, 13:54. Reason: grammer check

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
      That was about 6-7 years back, and I just ran a quick google, and seems like things haven't changed a bit. This is from last year:
      That's odd Tronic. My sister, who is a physician/surgeon, says that ZSMU is accredited by WHO and teaches the EU (European Union) syllabus which means automatic recognition in all EU member-states. She knows graduates who are doctors in the United States, the UK, and Israel. The MBBS and MD degrees should be valid/accepted virtually anywhere.
      sigpic

Comment

Anil,

I know this comes across cynical and cruel and out of touch and defeatist but it is reality. Only less than 20% of population can afford doctors and an overwhelming majority of the population live in conditions or have diseases that would cut short their lives and there is not enough money in the world to hire 3 million doctors in India.

Instead of paying money for colleges and training necessary to have 3 million doctors which to me is putting the cart before the horse...I would use that money to improve sanitation, access to clean drinking and washing water, quality of food and defeat malnutrition, improve basic government services and banking services. Those things alone will go the greatest way of improving people lives and are considered as the low hanging fruits of human longevity improvement. Then you can worry about finding enough doctors because at that point, the majority of people' lives will be at a point where medical services could actually do a lot of good things.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
          That's odd Tronic. My sister, who is a physician/surgeon, says that ZSMU is accredited by WHO and teaches the EU (European Union) syllabus which means automatic recognition in all EU member-states. She knows graduates who are doctors in the United States, the UK, and Israel. The MBBS and MD degrees should be valid/accepted virtually anywhere.
          They studied at Donetsk, Minnie. One of them immigrated to the UK now, and he is preparing for some test which he will have to clear before he is allowed to practice there. In India, all foreign med-school students have to clear the FMGE, regardless of where they study. I believe same is the case here in Canada. I guess, medical degrees are not as transferable across countries as other degrees.
          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

To my knowledge, that's only one test (or series of tests), to verify compatibility of what you learned with the system in place.

Heck, over here even home students need to pass 2 tests before they start working.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

My sister (MD/FACS) is certified to practice medicine in Israel and the United States. She says that to become a certified physician in the US one needs to pass the three part United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). Surgeons should be certified by the American Board of Surgery (ABS) and follow the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) requirements.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                Just a quick aside. Although few would imagine it, there are many Indians in my birth city of Zaporozhye.
                Since you mentioned it i gotta ask.

You say you are from Ukraine.

When i saw the handle Minskaya, i thought woman from Minsk.

Where is Minsk ? Not in Ukraine

Comment

It's in Belarus dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    Since you mentioned it i gotta ask. You say you are from Ukraine. When i saw the handle Minskaya, i thought woman from Minsk. Where is Minsk ? Not in Ukraine
                    I was born in Ukraine. My mother (Zaporozhye/Ukraine) is Jewish and my father (Minsk/Belarus) is Christian. I was raised Jewish. Both of my parents still live in Zaporozhye.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                      It's in Belarus dude.
                      Right, so why the name minskaya then ?

Its like the time i realised Kansas city is also in Missouri.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 26 Jul 13,, 08:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        Right, so why the name minskaya then ?
                        From my father. Russian surnames can take different forms on the basis of gender.
                        sigpic

Comment

Indian students have been studying in Eastern Europe since the Soviet days. I personally know a few who studied medicine in the USSR. I also have a friend from my high school who is studying in Tver, near Moscow. I'd have loved to visit Ukraine and Russia but the reports of widespread xenophobia are a little discouraging

On topic: If the Afghan Christians feel threatened, they should simply move out of Lajpat Nagar to elsewhere. Why should we dedicate scarce police resources to another religious squabble?

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                            On topic: If the Afghan Christians feel threatened, they should simply move out of Lajpat Nagar to elsewhere. Why should we dedicate scarce police resources to another religious squabble?
                            What the hell? Why limit this to Afghan Christians then? If any minority anywhere in the country feels threatened, just ask them to move to a different place. Why make the police do their jobs?

In fact, we actually did do exactly this in Kashmir many years ago with the Kashmiri pandits (although on a much larger scale and when they were facing a much more dangerous threat). Some of those who moved out are still living in refugee camps. So I guess it would be completely in our character to inflict the same predicament on Afghan Christians as well.
                            Last edited by Firestorm; 27 Jul 13,, 07:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                              What the hell? Why limit this to Afghan Christians then? If any minority anywhere in the country feels threatened, just ask them to move to a different place. Why make the police do their jobs?

In fact, we actually did do exactly this in Kashmir many years ago with the Kashmiri pandits (although on a much larger scale and when they were facing a much more dangerous threat). Some of those who moved out are still living in refugee camps. So I guess it would be completely in our character to inflict the same predicament on Afghan Christians as well.
                              Afghans are Afghans. Not Indians. The Indian state has a duty to protect Indian citizens first.

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                                Afghans are Afghans. Not Indians. The Indian state has a duty to protect Indian citizens first.
                                The Indian state has responsibility for those she welcomed as guests.
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X