Thread: India sends its last telegram. Stop

India sends its last telegram. Stop

India's last telegram went out late on Sunday, marking the end of a service that millions of Indians had relied on for fast communication for more than 160 years.

India sends its last telegram. Stop - Telegraph

- - - - - - - -

When was the last time any of you sent telegram? I just can't remember, but must have been very long time ago to express condolences.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    India's last telegram went out late on Sunday, marking the end of a service that millions of Indians had relied on for fast communication for more than 160 years.

India sends its last telegram. Stop - Telegraph

- - - - - - - -

When was the last time any of you sent telegram? I just can't remember, but must have been very long time ago to express condolences.
    I saw my roommate once receive birthday wishes over telegram. The other places I saw the telegram being used was in the Phantom comics.

The Indian Postal Service used to be called Post & Telegraph office or something like that.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

From the Fox Article

The company says declining revenues forced it to end the service, which had become obsolete in an age of email, reliable landlines and ubiquitous cellphones.
    Some of the last-day users sent telegrams to Kapil Sibal, India's minister for telecommunications, pleading for the service to be continued.
    "The losses were mounting. It was not viable to have kept it going much longer," Akhtar said. That was especially true as the number of cellphone users exploded, with 867 million subscribers as of April.
    The telecommunications ministry said it lost $250 million in the last seven years and that it was time to put an end to the service.
    Perfect example of government (in)efficiency.

I know for some this is a nostalgic thing. I do not agree, government money is taxpayer money and every penny and paise needs to be spent effectively. $ 250 would have educated many more schoolchildren
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    I read about this. I remember reading in old novels where the main character went to a post office to send a telegram from Asia to Europe, informing the other party of some important development. Then waited for a few days for a reply.

My dad said he has sent telegrams to my uncles in China (this was before China opened up).

Government should protect these highly skilled telecommunication jobs from vanishing....
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Regular
    I don't think I have ever used a telegram in my life. It just seems pretty weird to me, but I often don't think about India in the real sense, which is my own fault. I often forget that there are a whole lot of poor areas where getting internet or making a phone call isn't as easy as it is in other places in the world.

In Memoriam Military Professional Minskaya's Avatar
    I've never seen one except in Bonanza tv reruns. Gone the way of the primitive stock market ticker.

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Bandaid

The only time I ever sent a telegram was in January 1992, after I had got selected in the Services Selection Board interview process at Allahabad. I had just sent one word home to my parents "Selected"

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Regular
    I hardly use government postal services unless demanded, I use a private courier for my letters and parcels only thing that keep me attached to my local post office is for the postal account service as an alternative to Bank account.

Thread Information