RIP Opera Browser ~1996 to July 2, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Opera Browser ~1996 to July 2, 2013

After all these years Opera, my favourite browser is dead.

I still remember how amazed I was back in 1998 to download a browser with tabs that fit into a 1.44 with space to spare.
    It was light, fast and had tons of features that netscape and IE didnt even dream of.

Opera 15 launches, turns out to be a crippled Google Chrome | Apps and Software | Geek.com

Sadly they have had to give up the fight and now are on the same engine as google chrome :(
    It doesn't even have something as basic as bookmarks!
    Guess I'll have to get used to firefox.
    Last edited by bolo121; 04 Jul 13,, 15:26.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
    Sadly they have had to give up the fight and now are on the same engine as google chrome :(
    It doesn't even have something as basic as bookmarks!
    Guess I'll have to get used to firefox.
    Are you referring to chrome? If so, than yes, it does have bookmarks.. They're just placed in a more aesthetically clever way. ;) (The star beside the url, when clicked, bookmarks the page for you.)
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

No, he talks new Opera ;)
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

It was light, fast and had tons of features that netscape and IE didnt even dream of.
        Until it became a memory blackhole*. Which only became worse after they integrated M2 (which was the reason why I finally quit Opera a while ago, it couldn't really handle some 6 gigs in emails managed in the integral M2 email application**). At least not without seriously more RAM than I was willing to give a browsing machine. Oh yeah, the builtin BT downloader, after they forced that into it, was quite bothersome too.

Does 15 final at least support launching the application without an internet application?!? 15 alpha didn't.

*- I have a computer I mostly use for casual browsing where a browser may stay open, tabbed and everything, for weeks on end. A Firefox/Thunderbird combo can handle that (somewhat at least). Opera can't (at all).

**- anyone got experience with that "Opera Mail" product aka the separated M2 they released? In particular in comparison to Thunderbird? I need heavy automatic filtering and moving across multiple IMAP and POP3 accounts as well as several 100,000 locally stored mails, which so isn't running great with that Mozilla crap.

Comment

Honestly, I am a bit surprised anyone still uses Opera (or IE). FF and Chrome seem to be the choice among everyone I know IRL (on Windows platform).

Kato, 100k mails? All yours?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Attached Files
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
              Until it became a memory blackhole*. Which only became worse after they integrated M2 (which was the reason why I finally quit Opera a while ago, it couldn't really handle some 6 gigs in emails managed in the integral M2 email application**). At least not without seriously more RAM than I was willing to give a browsing machine. Oh yeah, the builtin BT downloader, after they forced that into it, was quite bothersome too.

Does 15 final at least support launching the application without an internet application?!? 15 alpha didn't.

*- I have a computer I mostly use for casual browsing where a browser may stay open, tabbed and everything, for weeks on end. A Firefox/Thunderbird combo can handle that (somewhat at least). Opera can't (at all).

**- anyone got experience with that "Opera Mail" product aka the separated M2 they released? In particular in comparison to Thunderbird? I need heavy automatic filtering and moving across multiple IMAP and POP3 accounts as well as several 100,000 locally stored mails, which so isn't running great with that Mozilla crap.
              Opera had a reputation as being lighter than pretty much everything else.
              Erm firefox? Open for weeks? Not possible until the recent rapid release versions at around 18 or so.
              Firefox was notorious for having memory leaks and crashing after a week at best.
              I have 30+ tabs open all the time in opera 12 with no issues.
              I think the issues you faced came from M2 and not the browser. Heck even outlook behaves badly when you put multiple accounts and 100,000 mails!

Opera M2 is supposedly standalone now but i never used it. It had a pretty decent reputation for stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                Are you referring to chrome? If so, than yes, it does have bookmarks.. They're just placed in a more aesthetically clever way. ;) (The star beside the url, when clicked, bookmarks the page for you.)
                Nope, what doktor said.
                Am creeped out by chrome for the same reason i use duckduckgo/startpage instead of google.

Comment

Opera had a reputation as being lighter than pretty much everything else.
                  Erm firefox? Open for weeks? Not possible until the recent rapid release versions at around 18 or so.
                  Firefox was notorious for having memory leaks and crashing after a week at best.
                  I have 30+ tabs open all the time in opera 12 with no issues.

Opera M2 is supposedly standalone now but i never used it. It had a pretty decent reputation for stability.
                  Sad news indeed, i was just about getting fed up with that memory hog known as chrome.

Opera was always light and functional and worked best on lower powered machines.

Chrome crashed in the wrong way a few days ago, whoops just lost all your tabs. oh well.

So what is the latest version opera holdouts can still stick with then. V14 final ?
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 05 Jul 13,, 16:50.

Comment

Why not use firefox again? Its memory consumption has imporved in past few revesions. Setting browser.sessionhistory.max_entries in about:config to a lower value like 10 might help even more.

Or Why not try IE9 or 10? :scared: They are completly different beasts compared to older versions.

This is a good new to web developers. They have one less browser to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by ajhax View Post
                      This is a good new to web developers. They have one less browser to worry about.
                      If we go to pre-Opera era, they will have even less worries. NS/IE compatible. Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        Sad news indeed, i was just about getting fed up with that memory hog known as chrome.

Opera was always light and functional and worked best on lower powered machines.

Chrome crashed in the wrong way a few days ago, whoops just lost all your tabs. oh well.

So what is the latest version opera holdouts can still stick with then. V14 final ?
                        Opera 12.16 will be the last version.
                        13 and 14 were skipped in the process of transitioning to chromium.
                        Firefox looks to be the only alternative left.

Comment

I think the issues you faced came from M2 and not the browser. Heck even outlook behaves badly when you put multiple accounts and 100,000 mails!
                          Meh, i think i'll just install Apache and Horde and use that as a mail "client"... at least i know how to change behaviour i don't like by messing with the source code there.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          Kato, 100k mails? All yours?
                          That's not that hard - maybe 15-20 mails a day...
                          Last edited by kato; 06 Jul 13,, 13:12.

Comment

It would be 15 years.

Comment

Yeah? And of course mailing list stuff comes on top of that for another couple 100k...

Just glad my work-related emails are not in there. Those would easily double the daily amount.

Comment

Working...
                              X