X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    :pop:

Let the games begin, says I.
    Tomorrow, my good Doctor. It will start with the revision of the design and than the mockup build up. Have to follow the steps.

Comment

Unfortunately, the combination of heat wave and my crew's wish to transfer the game to full 3D drained all my time and energy for this project. However, this is just the temporary drawback, this project is not dead in the water (nor it will be, the thing will fly, that is for sure, one way or another).

Comment

This is more refined drawing of the airplane. I will let it "sit" for a day or two and if I am still satisfied with it, I will start calculations of the basic parameters. The anhedral or dihedral, which looks more appropriate since it is a high wing, angle will be added in the final drawing, before drafting.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Versus; 26 Aug 13,, 17:17.

Comment

We do it for less...
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
            What? $20? Send me the link!
            Here it is, every thing you need to start flying in a box for under $95. You only need few AA batteries.

Tex RC 182 Sky Trainer 3 Channel Ready to Fly RTF 2.4ghz Wingspan 700mm

Also check ou their other products

NitroPlanes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
              This is more refined drawing of the airplane. I will let it "sit" for a day or two and if I am still satisfied with it, I will start calculations of the basic parameters. The anhedral or dihedral, which looks more appropriate since it is a high wing, angle will be added in the final drawing, before drafting.
              I suggest for the start you make it High wing with dihedral which will make it self-correcting if either of the wings tilt low or high. Also for the start I would disregard winglets. It will make it difficult to handle cross-wind.

Also drop the one piece fuselage Idea. Build it with balsa sticks using CA glue then cover it with tissue or heat shrink covering. It will be much lighter.
              BTW: Your GC always need to be on or very close to wing main spar.

Attached Files

Comment

Versus,
                You can convert your pistol grip soldering gun to a low cost and practical foam cutter.

It will look like this:

Also you can find the how to and needed material Here
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is the 3D sketch of the airframe.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
                    Versus,
                    You can convert your pistol grip soldering gun to a low cost and practical foam cutter.

It will look like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33722[/ATTACH]

Also you can find the how to and needed material Here
                    I had the similar idea for the hand held foam cutter, mine looks more like potato skin "piler" for the smaller curves. For the bigger ones, I am planning to make something like router but with manual control. Good thing is that the heat is finally over and my workload is lighter these days so I am working on this project with the increased paste. Thanks for the advices, I will post the pictures of the machines once they are completed (within a week or so).

Comment

I suggest for the start you make it High wing with dihedral which will make it self-correcting if either of the wings tilt low or high. Also for the start I would disregard winglets. It will make it difficult to handle cross-wind.

Also drop the one piece fuselage Idea. Build it with balsa sticks using CA glue then cover it with tissue or heat shrink covering. It will be much lighter.
                      BTW: Your GC always need to be on or very close to wing main spar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33720[/ATTACH]
                      Yes most certainly it will be a section construction based rather than a straight piece of wood. It will be a lot easier to make modules that way although the construction of sections might prove to be a bit tricky.

Comment

Here it is, every thing you need to start flying in a box for under $95. You only need few AA batteries.

Tex RC 182 Sky Trainer 3 Channel Ready to Fly RTF 2.4ghz Wingspan 700mm

Also check ou their other products

NitroPlanes.com
                        We have them here, the nitroplanes products, but with custom added and the taxes their price is way above of what I can afford with the current paycheck. Also the radio stations are way to expensive for me right now. That is why I decided to go with building from scratch. Other reason is that I am learning the fluid mechanics, finite elements and other things needed for aircraft construction so this project is not only a fun or a hobby yet it is a bit more serious project. Here we have a need for small UAV (although that need is not realized by the govt) in order to watch on wild fires, flooding, illegal woodcutting, illegal disposal of toxic chemicals and garbage and especially poachers since all these things present a huge danger for the domestic wildlife and eco system. Hopefully this project will evolve into a more serious thing in order to draw investors for the full scale UAV and its production.

Comment

As far as winglets, well they are optional, since I've figured out that I can't blend them with the rest of the wings, so they will be modular.

Comment

I think that this one is the one that will go. No fancy curves, no fancy complex polyhedral's just plain and simple. Now, lets go to the abysmal world of partial and differential equations...Shrug!
                            Attached Files

Comment

And some real life photos, but they are not that interesting. I've made a test yesterday with the hot glue, since I wasn't sure will it stick to the kind of insulation foam we have here. But it did and the bond is very strong (but not on a load bearing scale). Than I did a couple of "static and dynamic tests" (mainly meaning trying to separate two pieces of the foam by hand, twisting the pencil between two palms, with the foam attached to it (centrifugal or g force test)...). After these caveman tests, I came to conclusion that this foam and this hot glue will do the trick for the future and also our cat approved the tests as it watched every move of the foam during the testing. So now the materials are solved and, to large extent,the manufacturing process. Since this model will evolve into fully controllable RC later in the game, a couple of issues arise. First of all, as I said before, the construction will be modular. However, the batteries and the electronics are fairly standard and since they are necessary for the RC as well as the engine mount, these two sections will be defined first. So in the next post I will deal with the fuselage (actually making it). Also I've manage to find relatively simplified formulas for this so hopefully this project will move at a faster pace from now on.

Slowly but surely, its coming to life.:Dancing-Banana:
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Versus; 08 Sep 13,, 13:33.

Comment

The 1st skirmish with the math behind the design.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X