Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Proton-M Rocket Explodes On Take-Off

Unmanned Russian Proton-M rocket crashes just after launch in Kazakhstan

A Russian Proton-M rocket carrying three navigation satellites crashes soon after takeoff from Kazakhstan’s Baikonur Cosmodrome.

Reuters 6:14AM BST 02 Jul 2013

The Spectacular footage showed the rocket veering off its trajectory just seconds after its launch at 0638 am (0238 GMT), before erupting into a ball of flames and releasing highly toxic rocket fuel into the air.

The Russian space agency Roskosmos, said the accident caused no damage or casualties.

"It seems something is going wrong," said a television commentator during the live coverage of the launch. "Something is wrong. It seems it will be a catastrophe," said the presenter.

The rocket then exploded, sending plumes of black smoke into the morning sky.

The rocket was supposed to take three Glonass-M satellites into space.

"A rocket carrier fell to the ground and exploded on the territory of the cosmodrome," the space agency said in a statement, adding the rocket fell on the territory of the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

The agency said that during the accident, which took place 10-15 seconds after takeoff, toxic rocket fuel was released into the air.

A Roskosmos spokesman could not immediately say whether people living near the crash site were being evacuated.

Russia has suffered several recent setbacks in its space programme, notably losing expensive satellites and an unmanned supply ship to the International Space Station.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

When I first saw this video, I didn't know it was unmanned.

Just before impacting the ground, the payload was ejected... it made me think it was an attempted crew escape. I'm glad it was not.

You could also tell from the smoke plume that it was using some sort of hypergolic fuel mix. Here it is: unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine. Wow, harsh stuff, but energetic.

The video on USA today web site shows this "payload ejection."
    Last edited by Chogy; 02 Jul 13,, 21:49.

Comment

So is this the same type of rocket used to carry people to the ISS?

Comment

No, not people.

Soyuz is for people, proton is for cargo ;)

I wouldn't suspect the rocket, but the program.
        Look at the launch history, it always fails when carries Russian GPS components
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

so, has anyone done the math and timed the point of impact to felt shockwave?
          Linkeden:
          http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
          http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

In my head on sound wave, 6 miles?
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Erm... actually it is 10 seconds
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                Erm... actually it is 10 seconds
                :slap:
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                  so, has anyone done the math and timed the point of impact to felt shockwave?
                  approx 2 miles. 9-10 seconds 10/5=2 (flash to bang in miles)

Comment

Ho god.....:slap:

Comment

Working...
                    X