Last Samurai gun question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Samurai gun question

HBO has been playing the heck out the The Last Samurai lately. Can anyone tell me what kind of rifles the Japanese army are carrying towards the end of the film? They started with rifle muskets, but ended up with a single shot bolt rifle with blade bayonet. Its not a Gras, as it had a spike bayonet. They may be 1871 Mausers but I am not sure. They could also be 1871 Ward-Burtons but I don't know of anyone who makes repros of those. Definitely not Remington-Lees or anything like that. You'd think that the US would give them trapdoors. Any ideas? I'm a historical movie nit picker and its bugging me
    Rule 303

It's been a really long time since I've seen that movie; and sadly I couldn't find it on the internet.

That's more than bizarre.

Comment

Haven't seen it for a while myself but from memory I think they were mausers, I could of course be wrong though.
      Hope that helps ;)

Comment

Going strictly by memory they looked like Mausers.

Comment

German weapons in Japan?
          I don't know...

Comment

Hollywood... ;)
            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Mausers were the best military rifle around in the late 19th century.

Comment

Was the Kar 98 the first Mauser?
                If so, the weapons could have been springfield 1896s, if the time fits. I can't remember when the last battle took place.

Comment

No, the Kar98 was not the first Mauser. The M/71 was the first Mauser.
                  "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Well, if anyone has watched this movie, please tell us when the last battle took place.

Comment

I think its supposed to be 1877 or early 1878... All the rifles look brand new, so they have to be repros, even movie weapons supply places aren't going to have that many new looking weapons...especially something more obscure like Dreyse, 1871 mausers, etc.
                      Rule 303

Comment

Hahaha, We'll never know.............................................. .................................................. ........

Comment

Could they be Chesepots?

Comment

You mean the guns?
                            Never heard of that before; not my type of interests.

Comment

Contrary to what the film showed, it was the Germans (Prussians) who modernised the Japanese army. That would agree with the Mauser theory.

Comment

Working...
                              X