Wellington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellington

The Duke of Wellington was on a hill looking over the battlefield at Waterloo....
    He looked through field glasses and could see Napoleon on the hill opposite. He could see Napoleon issuing orders and all of a sudden cannon roared into life and ball came sailing over the Duke's head.
    The Duke immediately ordered his batman to his side, scribbled down a note and handed it to his aide, telling him "deliver this on pain of death to His majesty the King, in London, immediately". The batman replied dutifully, "yes, my Lord" and jumped on his horse and rode off into the French countryside.
    The young soldier rode all day only stopping occasionally to change horses, arriving some hours later at Calais. He took a boat to Dover, changed horses again and galloped off towards London.
    It was 02:00 when the soldier reached Buckingham Palace. He banged on the gates shouting, "OPEN IN THE NAME OF THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON - I MUST SEE THE KING IMMEDIATELY ON PAIN OF... DEATH". The kings courtiers hurriedly opened the gates and led the tired soldier to the King's bed chamber whereupon he banged on the door.
    The King came to the door in his night clothes and holding a candle up to the soldier's dirty face, he demanded to know why he had been awakened at such an ungodly hour. "Sire", stammered the soldier, "a message from the Duke of Wellington. I have come direct from the field of battle, my liege".
    The king tore open the wax-sealed document.

The message read...

"CONTACT... WAIT...OUT .

Tankie, know I know this is not a real story?

Waterloo is in Belgium!

:red::whome:

Still a good one!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Tankie, know I know this is not a real story?

Waterloo is in Belgium!

:red::whome:

Still a good one!
      I wondered that to so I goggled Antwerp to London and actually got the batman riding off across the French countryside to Calais in 2013 and Antwerp is a port city! So it appears Tankie is right as Goggle proves him right. What more could you ask for?

Comment

I must be a moron.

I am old enough and secure in my ways to admit I don't have a clue. Someone fill me in?

Comment

I think it's a British thing us Ami's wouldn't understand . . . . .
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

AR got it! Unless he's lying... ;)

Comment

The Battle of Waterloo was fought on Sunday, 18 June 1815 near Waterloo in present-day Belgium, then part of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands

Comment

Dunno. I thought it was funny. Wellington making a contact report is pretty funny. Nature of this particular report is equally funny. Needless to say, use of any (much less "proper") RTO procedure would be astoundingly precient...and funny.

Finally, there's something terribly Pythonian regarding this image of a young english soldier furiously galloping the gloomy wet French/Belgian countryside while bearing a message for his king.
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                  Dunno. I thought it was funny. Wellington making a contact report is pretty funny. Nature of this particular report is equally funny. Needless to say, use of any (much less "proper") RTO procedure would be astoundingly precient...and funny.

Finally, there's something terribly Pythonian regarding this image of a young english soldier furiously galloping the gloomy wet French/Belgian countryside while bearing a message for his king.

I see John Cleese as Nosey, Michael Palin as the aide, Eric Idle as the sentry, Terry Jones as the palace official and Graham Chapman as HRH.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

A.R. Reply

"...I see John Cleese as Nosey, Michael Palin as the aide, Eric Idle as the sentry, Terry Jones as the palace official and Graham Chapman as HRH."

Such an important task should rate a truly noble steed-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                      I must be a moron.

I am old enough and secure in my ways to admit I don't have a clue. Someone fill me in?
                      Chogy , its modern day Brit V/P , okkkkkk , your in your tank/trench etc , and you see the enemy , 1st reaction is to report contact , then , WAIT ! then clear the waves by OUT , then evaluate the situation (hence WAIT) , ie grid ref / types/ then engage if appropriate , or wait for further orders as contacts could be 3/5 k away , soooooooo the poor trog gets orders from King n rides all the way back to waterloo with orders that say ,,,HOW MANY ENEMY ,,,,,,,,,,,,OVER ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ahhhhhhhhhh ffs.

:whome:

and now ya know why marconi was deemed a good guy ,thereby saving horses and speeding up battlefield protocol , forsooth ,any clearer now m8 :tank:

Comment

Or to translate tankie into English:

Urban Dictionary: Contact wait out

"Contact, wait out" is a term military personell use over the radio to report enemy sightings/attacks. "Contact" means that the enemy has been identified or that you have already been attacked. "wait" means that you have no time to explain the situation right now. "out" means that you are about to end transmission and will call back later.

*Huge explosion*
                        Lieutenant: Holy shit, call it in!
                        Radio operator: This is Mike November 4, contact wait out!
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                          The Duke of Wellington was on a hill looking over the battlefield at Waterloo....
                          He looked through field glasses and could see Napoleon on the hill opposite. He could see Napoleon issuing orders and all of a sudden cannon roared into life and ball came sailing over the Duke's head.
                          The Duke immediately ordered his batman to his side, scribbled down a note and handed it to his aide, telling him "deliver this on pain of death to His majesty the King, in London, immediately". The batman replied dutifully, "yes, my Lord" and jumped on his horse and rode off into the French countryside.
                          The young soldier rode all day only stopping occasionally to change horses, arriving some hours later at Calais. He took a boat to Dover, changed horses again and galloped off towards London.
                          It was 02:00 when the soldier reached Buckingham Palace. He banged on the gates shouting, "OPEN IN THE NAME OF THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON - I MUST SEE THE KING IMMEDIATELY ON PAIN OF... DEATH". The kings courtiers hurriedly opened the gates and led the tired soldier to the King's bed chamber whereupon he banged on the door.
                          The King came to the door in his night clothes and holding a candle up to the soldier's dirty face, he demanded to know why he had been awakened at such an ungodly hour. "Sire", stammered the soldier, "a message from the Duke of Wellington. I have come direct from the field of battle, my liege".
                          The king tore open the wax-sealed document.

The message read...

"CONTACT... WAIT...OUT .
                          Just a technical note; a dispatch rider going from Wellingtons lines at Waterloo to Calais would have to head north-west - past Napoleons left flank. He would then have to cross into France and get to the French port of Calais. Should he make it that far he may find the French at Calais somewhat reluctant to supply an enemy officer with a boat and crew to convey him to Dover. More likely that he went via Ostend/Oostende which is more due north of Waterloo and would have been in allied hands.

The first news of victory at Waterloo actually arrived at Viking Bay (Broadstairs) at what was then called Admiralty House (renamed Eagle House later), where a Major Percy landed with captured French Eagles.

This indicates to me, and I've sailed the area quite alot, that Major Percy came from Ostend or north of the Goodwin sands which stretch from just off Viking Bay southwards to just north of Dover. You can sail Calais to Dover and keep the Goodwins to the north. If you go from Ostend - Dover you are going some way south and would have to round the South Goodwin. The more direct route from Ostend to England means going north of Goodwins and lands you at the northern tip of Kent around Broadstairs/Margate. Of course arguably it would make more sense to sail up the Thames estuary straight to London without stopping at Kent but maybe the wind was averse or the weather was bad.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by snapper; 21 Jun 13,, 10:07.

Comment

I figured it had something to do with military COMM. I DO get it now, especially when the Monty Python glasses are put on!

It makes me think - AIrcraft fly vast distances, most of the time out of VHF/UHF range. In "my day", we were sent aloft with complete mission plans and ROE, and never radio'd base or some commander for either instructions, or to report something. We were in our own little world.

CAS would be entirely different. But I never did CAS.
                            Last edited by Chogy; 21 Jun 13,, 13:49.

Comment

I feel with you, Chogy. These army fellas are really annoying with their jokes
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X