X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    Or to translate tankie into English:

Urban Dictionary: Contact wait out

"Contact, wait out" is a term military personell use over the radio to report enemy sightings/attacks. "Contact" means that the enemy has been identified or that you have already been attacked. "wait" means that you have no time to explain the situation right now. "out" means that you are about to end transmission and will call back later.

*Huge explosion*
    Lieutenant: Holy shit, call it in!
    Radio operator: This is Mike November 4, contact wait out!
    Zakly wot i sed :slap:

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
      Just a technical note; a dispatch rider going from Wellingtons lines at Waterloo to Calais would have to head north-west - past Napoleons left flank. He would then have to cross into France and get to the French port of Calais. Should he make it that far he may find the French at Calais somewhat reluctant to supply an enemy officer with a boat and crew to convey him to Dover. More likely that he went via Ostend/Oostende which is more due north of Waterloo and would have been in allied hands.

The first news of victory at Waterloo actually arrived at Viking Bay (Broadstairs) at what was then called Admiralty House (renamed Eagle House later), where a Major Percy landed with captured French Eagles.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33178[/ATTACH]

This indicates to me, and I've sailed the area quite alot, that Major Percy came from Ostend or north of the Goodwin sands which stretch from just off Viking Bay southwards to just north of Dover. You can sail Calais to Dover and keep the Goodwins to the north. If you go from Ostend - Dover you are going some way south and would have to round the South Goodwin. The more direct route from Ostend to England means going north of Goodwins and lands you at the northern tip of Kent around Broadstairs/Margate. Of course arguably it would make more sense to sail up the Thames estuary straight to London without stopping at Kent but maybe the wind was averse or the weather was bad.
      Mjr Percy , pffffffffffftttt that was Mjr Sharp m,dear :whome:

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
        I figured it had something to do with military COMM. I DO get it now, especially when the Monty Python glasses are put on!

It makes me think - AIrcraft fly vast distances, most of the time out of VHF/UHF range. In "my day", we were sent aloft with complete mission plans and ROE, and never radio'd base or some commander for either instructions, or to report something. We were in our own little world.

CAS would be entirely different. But I never did CAS.
        Chogy,

We do much of the same regarding comms in a conventional environment.

In the units I was in (mech infantry) it would go CONTACT! TANKS! WAIT...OUT!

This triggered a number of things....1) the company XO would send a contact report to the task force CP. This would trigger a variety of actions. They notified higher but the battalion fire support officer knew something was possible brewing in his arena. It also notified the other company teams that there was contact within my AO...and to sharpen they observations, 2) my first sergeant would move the aid vehicle and maintenance section into a covered position and prepared to conduct CASEVAC/vehicle recovery, he also contacted the battalion Admin/Log Center about contact so they could, a) prep the forward aid station to prepare to receive casualties, the battalion maintenance section to back up my minatenance team as well as b) look for cover with the thin skinned ammo and fueld vehicles, 3) my fire support officer started cranking on a request for fire, while 4) I issued a warning order to my other platoon leaders what they next actions would be. Once the reporting platoon leader developed the situation gave me a fuller report I would issue orders. It could be to continue the mission or execute a certain kind of battle drill.

Every ground combat unit in most Western armies follow a similiar process with variations based on mission and type of enemy attack.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

The only real experience I have is in officer tanks, either platoon CO, company XO/CO or brigade CO. Depending on whose tank I was in I could hear 2 command nets, either company and battalion or brigade and any other network I chose.

In all cases, though, the procedure was quite different. Usually we assumed that contact was initiated by us, but even if it wasn't, the CO (either company or brigade, depending on the tank I was in), would yell out "Contact", give me and my loader our hunting orders, something along the lines of "Tank, AP, find your own damned targets" and then would spend most of their time handing out orders to the rest of the unit, marking lines of fire and attack between the sub-units, handing out missions to the sub-units and trying to keep everything organized and coordinated and more or less in one piece so we were all ready and prepared for the charge towards the enemy. Very exciting, lots of fun to try and keep track of, and an awesome background soundtrack if you have good visual imagination like me and were able to accurately pinpoint where each enemy "tank" actually was. Did I mention it was loads of fun?
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Benny, you are referring to crew drill. I am referring to the radio comms that Chogy wondered why we were doing. Different perspective.
            Mark Twain

Comment

tankie shakes head , ponders a while , makes notes , decides making jokes in the WAB has serious consequences and gets ravaged by worldwide combatants , good night tankie , sleep well fare prince from the 1st of track , go forward into the darkness of night and dream of past conquests and play them out ,over n over . :tank::tank: :tankie:

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                tankie shakes head , ponders a while , makes notes , decides making jokes in the WAB has serious consequences and gets ravaged by worldwide combatants , good night tankie , sleep well fare prince from the 1st of track , go forward into the darkness of night and dream of past conquests and play them out ,over n over . :tank::tank: :tankie:
                Morpheus must dread your arrival. Bacchus must dread your departure.

Comment

Tankie, The Bard looks forward to your arrival in the After Life so you can give him lessons in eloquence.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Benny, you are referring to crew drill. I am referring to the radio comms that Chogy wondered why we were doing. Different perspective.
                    Well, I've heard reports on all three command nets, company, battalion and brigade, and they all sound the same. It's not crew drill, since the CO is giving out orders to the sub-units, whether it's company CO to the platoon officers or from the brigade CO to the battalion COs, and not from the TC to the crew.

I think the main difference is that we plan on the engagement happening on our terms, so by the time the CO (whatever level) has finished yelling "Contact", his gunner already has a round in the air. Because it's in our terms, we have an idea of what's coming and there's no reason for the "Contact! Wait! Out!" bit...
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      Tankie, The Bard looks forward to your arrival in the After Life so you can give him lessons in eloquence.
                      Screw the bard , he never wrote all what he was credited with anyhoo , ahhhhhhh Bacchus , yup , let the elvino flow :tankie:

Comment

Benny, I was giving context as to why the contact report is made to an Air Force officer who didn't understand why we don't fight under EMCON CHARLIE.

I agree with your statement...cause we fight the same way. But I wanted to show what actions the contact report generated. BN CDR & BDE CDR have to make decisions on some stuff....staffs have to do the same for those trigger points to mean something.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Tankie, Amigo, it's not your fault I didn't get it. I own up to my own slowness with Army radio terminology. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                            Tankie, Amigo, it's not your fault I didn't get it. I own up to my own slowness with Army radio terminology. ;)
                            Chogy, you also had the problem of the English to English translation with which to deal.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

If you wanna call what tankie types English.....

Comment

I'm especially delighted to learn Tankie is a fare prince, which I assume is like a parking ticket wardens team leader.
                                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                                X