Mapping All The Security Cameras That Are Watching You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping All The Security Cameras That Are Watching You

You may not be able to control the privacy of your electronic data. But keeping yourself off security cameras? There’s an app for that.

Given the recent NSA revelations, there may not be anything you can do about the government monitoring certain private data (other than abandoning services like Gmail or Skype). But what about the security cameras watching you in cities like New York or London? A new crowdsourcing mapping app called Surv gives city dwellers a way to prepare themselves for that kind of privacy infringement by mapping where those cameras are and what they’re used for.

Currently in private beta-mode for New York (and raising money for a wider release on Kickstarter), the app encourages users to post the locations of security cameras around their cities, along with a description of the camera--whether it’s a traffic camera or a police camera, a dome camera or a shielded one. “We have human eyes on every location that comes in,” claims Surv co-foudner Kaza Razat. “One of the reason why we’re still in private beta is that’s a very time consuming thing. We’re working on methods to make that easier.”

Razat has developed games in the past, and Surv won’t be without some aspects of gamification, including a leaderboard showing which users have plotted the most cameras and where. "If you map 10 locations, you unlock an invite which then allows you to recruit someone new into the crowd," Razat explains. The idea is to keep the community of users slightly exclusive and self-selecting at first, so that the technology doesn’t get into the hands of trolling types who might create fake postings.

Kazat is not the privacy nut you might expect--he takes a very apolitical approach to his technology. In his words: "We don’t have a side in the debate of privacy versus security, but we did notice that there was a relative lack of technology that could enable either side,” be it law enforcement or security advocates.

“In the Boston bombing tragedy, the FBI put out a poll to businesses to see who have cameras,” in order to gather information, Razat says. “You would think that the FBI would have tools or software but they actually don’t. They’re just in the early stages of building those tools.” Using crowdsourcing, Razat’s plan is to help Surv get there first. And ironically, building a database that’s useful for law enforcement might end up being executed by self-proclaimed privacy advocates.

- - - - - - - -

What I found weird here is that there is no register of the surveillance cams. So much talk about Gov and Co. intruding privacy, yet no one took a step to improve things. For instance I don't have a problem the Police or security agencies having me on tapes (DVDs, HDDs, whatever), as I do nothing that would put me to jail. Moreover, there are protocols and what not to make me sleep better that slims the chances of someone abuses those tapes. However, I don't feel comfy being spot by McD cameras ;) Thank God they closed ops here.
    Last edited by Doktor; 18 Jun 13,, 11:40.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

I know London is famous for its cameras, and I have to agree, I was a bit shocked at the sheer volume when I resumed flying there recently.

Cameras in public places don't bother me that much, and of course private businesses have the right to put up as many cameras as they want. But the day may come when we see some Orwellian system put into use that is able to monitor us in private circumstances. Not palatable at all.

There have been instances in the USA of traffic cameras being shot by disgruntled motorists. I sympathize somewhat... I don't like the notion of a robot writing me a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
      I know London is famous for its cameras, and I have to agree, I was a bit shocked at the sheer volume when I resumed flying there recently.

Cameras in public places don't bother me that much, and of course private businesses have the right to put up as many cameras as they want. But the day may come when we see some Orwellian system put into use that is able to monitor us in private circumstances. Not palatable at all.

There have been instances in the USA of traffic cameras being shot by disgruntled motorists. I sympathize somewhat... I don't like the notion of a robot writing me a ticket.
      Yet strangely when a UK citizen was assaulted by police in the centre of London and subsequently died, not a single camera was apparently working. If it hadn't been for cell phone footage no one would have known the police were there at all.

Death of Ian Tomlinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

In the uk a lot of gatso's receive the African necklace treatment . :wors:

Comment

They have an insidious wrinkle here. Ever see those radar boxes on wheels next to a highway that displays your speed with an amber/red LED readout? Where I live they have a camera in this thing that snaps a picture of your license plate if your LED is in the red. A speeding citation arrives in your mailbox a few days later
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            You may not be able to control the privacy of your electronic data.
            This is the case outside Europe. Euros have some pretty stringent data protection rules in the book.

But what about the security cameras watching you in cities like New York or London?
            What about them ?

if there were a pair of human eyes instead would it be any different.

Last edited by Double Edge; 20 Jun 13,, 09:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
              They have an insidious wrinkle here. Ever see those radar boxes on wheels next to a highway that displays your speed with an amber/red LED readout? Where I live they have a camera in this thing that snaps a picture of your license plate if your LED is in the red. A speeding citation arrives in your mailbox a few days later
              Thats the same as gatso ( road cameras ) here . 60 pound fine and 3 points , there are roads in the uk where within 1 mile you can gather 12 points and bang goes your licence , they DO NOT do anything except raise revenue and cause accidents when people slam on when they are seen , even when repairs are being made to roads they used to hide them behind temp traffic signs . However the cameras that catch the villains in towns , the types who should not be allowed oxygen are fine by me .
              Last edited by tankie; 20 Jun 13,, 12:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                Yet strangely when a UK citizen was assaulted by police in the centre of London and subsequently died, not a single camera was apparently working. If it hadn't been for cell phone footage no one would have known the police were there at all.

There has been a backlash over that bastard , he got sacked , woweee , and the family are/were doing an O J over him , the guy Ian was doing sod all wrong before ramboplod hit him from behind , and the cctv wasnt working huh they would have all zero'd in if it was a cop getting battened .
                Attached Files

Comment

I wonder what would happen if they created a 3D spatial space where approximate angles (and if angle unknown, assume sphere of X metres) of cameras were mapped.

Very soon you have a marvellous tool for terrorists. Reminds me of threading ingress.

Comment

I think these cameras are really helpful for the security of your business as well as general security.And many countries had control over the crime by using the cameras that are installed on public places.Because they can easily monitor the security at that place.

Comment

Makes you wonder what will happen when Google Glass style accessories become ubiquitous. As for the Tomlinson matter, even allowing for the demonstrations that were occurring at the time the whole matter was handled disgracefully from the start and reflects very poorly on a Service that in general has a very professional reputation. I would have looked very hard at the conduct of the officers investigating the original complaint as well.
                      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                        An American I believe.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyiAPLHUfMw

Comment

Working...
                          X