Page 1 of 14 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 196

Thread: Documentary = Afghanistan: The Price of Revenge

  1. #1
    Patron
    Join Date
    15 Jan 11
    Posts
    266

    Documentary = Afghanistan: The Price of Revenge

    Part 1:



    Part 2:

    Last edited by notorious_eagle; 07 Jun 13, at 19:45.

  2. #2
    Dirty Kiwi Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    10 Nov 04
    Location
    Wellington, Te Ika a Maui, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,744
    Ah I love rewritten history. American demands were simple

    1. Deliver to the US all al-Qaeda leaders in Afghanistan
    2. Release all imprisoned foreign nationals
    3. Protect foreign journalists, diplomats and aid workers
    4. Close immediately every terrorist training camp, and hand over every terrorist and their supporters
    5. Give the United States full access to terrorist training camps for inspection

    The Taliban refused, saying only that they wished to negotiate. I saw several of Zaeefs press statements prior to the campaign insisting that the US hand over any proof to the taliban before they would consider handing over Bin Laden.

    As for the 'failure' of the war, the withdrawal of the bulk of conventional forces is a good idea; that does not mean the war is over. Al Jazeera is a great news organisation but in portrayal of recent political events as documentary they seriously need to pick their game up.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility

    Gottfried Leibniz

  3. #3

    Military Professional
    Military Professional S2's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 06
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    10,810
    I, too, found this a fascinating re-write. Naw...not true. Infuriating would be closer. Should I be surprised that this trash was posted by Notorious Eagle?
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

  4. #4
    Contributor cataphract's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Oct 12
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Parihaka View Post
    Al Jazeera is a great news organisation but in portrayal of recent political events as documentary they seriously need to pick their game up.
    Al-Jazeera has lost its sheen lately, ever since the Qatari emir decided to punch above his weight in middle-eastern politics. Now, it has become a mouthpiece for the Muslim Brotherhood. Only slightly more credible than PressTV, IMO.

  5. #5
    Dirty Kiwi Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    10 Nov 04
    Location
    Wellington, Te Ika a Maui, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,744
    Quote Originally Posted by S2 View Post
    I, too, found this a fascinating re-write. Naw...not true. Infuriating would be closer. Should I be surprised that this trash was posted by Notorious Eagle?
    As an aside, wasn't it lovely to see Saleh again? Misrepresented as nothing more than a Mujahadeen warlord of course and totally out of context but still. He's been a busy boy apparently. What was it Musharraf called him, something about a 'lowly Panjshiri guy, why should I listen to him?'
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility

    Gottfried Leibniz

  6. #6
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by cataphract View Post
    Al-Jazeera has lost its sheen lately, ever since the Qatari emir decided to punch above his weight in middle-eastern politics. Now, it has become a mouthpiece for the Muslim Brotherhood. Only slightly more credible than PressTV, IMO.
    I've always been curious about that development and heard an explanation by a prof from the UAE at the recent IDSA conference.

    A lack of leadership exercised by the traditional powers of the region means the minnows ( UAE & Qatar) start to become ambitious.

    As a result the opinion of 2 million Qataris matters more than 27 million Saudis (!)


    Traditional powers are Iran, Iraq, Saudis, Egypt & Turkey.

    Pushing the MB agenda is tricky for Qatar as the Saudis have a dim view of the MB.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Jun 13, at 16:33.

  7. #7
    Senior Contributor Agnostic Muslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Dec 07
    Location
    Michigan/Lahore
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Parihaka View Post
    Ah I love rewritten history. American demands were simple

    1. Deliver to the US all al-Qaeda leaders in Afghanistan
    2. Release all imprisoned foreign nationals
    3. Protect foreign journalists, diplomats and aid workers
    4. Close immediately every terrorist training camp, and hand over every terrorist and their supporters
    5. Give the United States full access to terrorist training camps for inspection

    The Taliban refused, saying only that they wished to negotiate. I saw several of Zaeefs press statements prior to the campaign insisting that the US hand over any proof to the taliban before they would consider handing over Bin Laden.
    Which part was 'rewritten'?

    The Taliban position was legitimate - provide evidence and engage in negotiations to arrive at a mutually acceptable solution.
    Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
    https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

  8. #8
    Senior Contributor Agnostic Muslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Dec 07
    Location
    Michigan/Lahore
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by S2 View Post
    I, too, found this a fascinating re-write. Naw...not true. Infuriating would be closer. Should I be surprised that this trash was posted by Notorious Eagle?
    It is alright to sometimes accept fault and accept that the US made the wrong decisions and f***d things up through the direction she took in invading Afghanistan in 2001.
    Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
    https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

  9. #9
    Senior Contributor Mihais's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Apr 08
    Location
    Transylvania
    Posts
    5,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnostic Muslim View Post
    Which part was 'rewritten'?

    The Taliban position was legitimate - provide evidence and engage in negotiations to arrive at a mutually acceptable solution.
    They hosted AQ.AQ was involved in attacks on US before 9/11 and they even declared war.Even assuming 9/11 was the greatest fake ever,the US still had legit reasons to ask the Taliban to hand over AQ,without negotiations,or suffer the consequences.

    Attacking A-stan was the right thing to do.Trying to work with GIROA was the major f...k-up.The way was clear for a long time-screw GIROA,work with the tribal leaders and the local militia directly.Wherever it happened,either by SF or contractors,there are visible results,that will be the good we'll leave in A-stan.

    The rest is an example of what's wrong with the West these days.Starting with enough weakness not to break Pakistan,with dubious contracts and corruption,hubris of believing everybody likes our system of government,or that the system can get equal results everywhere,fighting with both hands tied due to PC.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

  10. #10
    Senior Contributor Doktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Aug 08
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    13,668
    Hey the system worked in before - Japan, Eastern Europe, had some "minor" flaws in South America, so, it must fit anywhere.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

  11. #11
    Officer of Engineers
    Guest
    Negotiate with the Taliban! I want to puke.

  12. #12
    Senior Contributor antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Feb 08
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnostic Muslim View Post
    Which part was 'rewritten'?

    The Taliban position was legitimate - provide evidence and engage in negotiations to arrive at a mutually acceptable solution.
    India's spineless politicos negotiated with the Taliban during the Kandahar hijacking,we all know what happened.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

  13. #13
    Senior Contributor Agnostic Muslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Dec 07
    Location
    Michigan/Lahore
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Negotiate with the Taliban! I want to puke.
    Funny, because that is exactly what NATO and the Afghan government want to do now, hundreds of thousands of dead civilians later ...
    Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
    https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

  14. #14
    Senior Contributor Agnostic Muslim's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Dec 07
    Location
    Michigan/Lahore
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihais View Post
    They hosted AQ.AQ was involved in attacks on US before 9/11 and they even declared war.Even assuming 9/11 was the greatest fake ever,the US still had legit reasons to ask the Taliban to hand over AQ,without negotiations,or suffer the consequences.
    The US had reasons to ask for the detention, trial, extradition of alleged AQ leaders involved in attacks on US interests, but the Taliban were also justified in asking for evidence and/or negotiations with the US before acceding to US demands.

    Attacking A-stan was the right thing to do.Trying to work with GIROA was the major f...k-up.The way was clear for a long time-screw GIROA,work with the tribal leaders and the local militia directly.Wherever it happened,either by SF or contractors,there are visible results,that will be the good we'll leave in A-stan.
    Given the human and economic cost of the past ten years in the region, and the current push to arrive at a negotiated end to the Taliban led insurgency, it is pretty obvious that attacking Afghanistan was not the right thing to do.
    Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
    https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

  15. #15
    Senior Contributor Doktor's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Aug 08
    Location
    Skopje, Macedonia
    Posts
    13,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnostic Muslim View Post
    Funny, because that is exactly what NATO and the Afghan government want to do now, hundreds of thousands of dead civilians later ...
    Can you show a source that 200,000+ civilians are dead from the military operations during NATO led operation?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

    To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ayn Randís Revenge
    By xinhui in forum International Economy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30 Oct 09,, 21:32
  2. Canadian CBC documentary about Afghanistan
    By yoda9999 in forum Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation New Dawn
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04 Apr 08,, 23:21
  3. Documentary Film on Afghanistan 1988
    By Wiseman in forum Warfare in the Modern Age
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01 Jul 07,, 16:13
  4. Afghanistan SF documentary
    By giggs88 in forum Multimedia & Jukebox room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20 Nov 05,, 19:58
  5. Al-Qaeda calls for revenge
    By Ray in forum International Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09 May 05,, 19:02

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •