X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentary = Afghanistan: The Price of Revenge

Part 1:

Part 2:

Last edited by notorious_eagle; 07 Jun 13,, 19:45.

Ah I love rewritten history. American demands were simple

1. Deliver to the US all al-Qaeda leaders in Afghanistan
    2. Release all imprisoned foreign nationals
    3. Protect foreign journalists, diplomats and aid workers
    4. Close immediately every terrorist training camp, and hand over every terrorist and their supporters
    5. Give the United States full access to terrorist training camps for inspection

The Taliban refused, saying only that they wished to negotiate. I saw several of Zaeefs press statements prior to the campaign insisting that the US hand over any proof to the taliban before they would consider handing over Bin Laden.

As for the 'failure' of the war, the withdrawal of the bulk of conventional forces is a good idea; that does not mean the war is over. Al Jazeera is a great news organisation but in portrayal of recent political events as documentary they seriously need to pick their game up.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I, too, found this a fascinating re-write. Naw...not true. Infuriating would be closer. Should I be surprised that this trash was posted by Notorious Eagle?
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        Al Jazeera is a great news organisation but in portrayal of recent political events as documentary they seriously need to pick their game up.
        Al-Jazeera has lost its sheen lately, ever since the Qatari emir decided to punch above his weight in middle-eastern politics. Now, it has become a mouthpiece for the Muslim Brotherhood. Only slightly more credible than PressTV, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
          I, too, found this a fascinating re-write. Naw...not true. Infuriating would be closer. Should I be surprised that this trash was posted by Notorious Eagle?
          As an aside, wasn't it lovely to see Saleh again? Misrepresented as nothing more than a Mujahadeen warlord of course and totally out of context but still. He's been a busy boy apparently. What was it Musharraf called him, something about a 'lowly Panjshiri guy, why should I listen to him?'
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
            Al-Jazeera has lost its sheen lately, ever since the Qatari emir decided to punch above his weight in middle-eastern politics. Now, it has become a mouthpiece for the Muslim Brotherhood. Only slightly more credible than PressTV, IMO.
            I've always been curious about that development and heard an explanation by a prof from the UAE at the recent IDSA conference.

A lack of leadership exercised by the traditional powers of the region means the minnows ( UAE & Qatar) start to become ambitious.

As a result the opinion of 2 million Qataris matters more than 27 million Saudis (!)

Traditional powers are Iran, Iraq, Saudis, Egypt & Turkey.

Pushing the MB agenda is tricky for Qatar as the Saudis have a dim view of the MB.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Jun 13,, 16:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              Ah I love rewritten history. American demands were simple

1. Deliver to the US all al-Qaeda leaders in Afghanistan
              2. Release all imprisoned foreign nationals
              3. Protect foreign journalists, diplomats and aid workers
              4. Close immediately every terrorist training camp, and hand over every terrorist and their supporters
              5. Give the United States full access to terrorist training camps for inspection

The Taliban refused, saying only that they wished to negotiate. I saw several of Zaeefs press statements prior to the campaign insisting that the US hand over any proof to the taliban before they would consider handing over Bin Laden.
              Which part was 'rewritten'?

The Taliban position was legitimate - provide evidence and engage in negotiations to arrive at a mutually acceptable solution.
              Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah
              https://twitter.com/AgnosticMuslim

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                It is alright to sometimes accept fault and accept that the US made the wrong decisions and f***d things up through the direction she took in invading Afghanistan in 2001.
                Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic state to be ruled by priests with a divine mission - Jinnah

Comment

Originally posted by Agnostic Muslim View Post

The Taliban position was legitimate - provide evidence and engage in negotiations to arrive at a mutually acceptable solution.
                  They hosted AQ.AQ was involved in attacks on US before 9/11 and they even declared war.Even assuming 9/11 was the greatest fake ever,the US still had legit reasons to ask the Taliban to hand over AQ,without negotiations,or suffer the consequences.

Attacking A-stan was the right thing to do.Trying to work with GIROA was the major f...k-up.The way was clear for a long time-screw GIROA,work with the tribal leaders and the local militia directly.Wherever it happened,either by SF or contractors,there are visible results,that will be the good we'll leave in A-stan.

The rest is an example of what's wrong with the West these days.Starting with enough weakness not to break Pakistan,with dubious contracts and corruption,hubris of believing everybody likes our system of government,or that the system can get equal results everywhere,fighting with both hands tied due to PC.
                  Those who know don't speak
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Hey the system worked in before - Japan, Eastern Europe, had some "minor" flaws in South America, so, it must fit anywhere.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Negotiate with the Taliban! I want to puke.

Comment

India's spineless politicos negotiated with the Taliban during the Kandahar hijacking,we all know what happened.
                        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Negotiate with the Taliban! I want to puke.
                          Funny, because that is exactly what NATO and the Afghan government want to do now, hundreds of thousands of dead civilians later ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                            They hosted AQ.AQ was involved in attacks on US before 9/11 and they even declared war.Even assuming 9/11 was the greatest fake ever,the US still had legit reasons to ask the Taliban to hand over AQ,without negotiations,or suffer the consequences.
                            The US had reasons to ask for the detention, trial, extradition of alleged AQ leaders involved in attacks on US interests, but the Taliban were also justified in asking for evidence and/or negotiations with the US before acceding to US demands.

Attacking A-stan was the right thing to do.Trying to work with GIROA was the major f...k-up.The way was clear for a long time-screw GIROA,work with the tribal leaders and the local militia directly.Wherever it happened,either by SF or contractors,there are visible results,that will be the good we'll leave in A-stan.
                            Given the human and economic cost of the past ten years in the region, and the current push to arrive at a negotiated end to the Taliban led insurgency, it is pretty obvious that attacking Afghanistan was not the right thing to do.

Comment

Funny, because that is exactly what NATO and the Afghan government want to do now, hundreds of thousands of dead civilians later ...
                              Can you show a source that 200,000+ civilians are dead from the military operations during NATO led operation?
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X