Hornet v. MiG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornet v. MiG

Chogy/Jimmy - Thought of you guys when I found this; it's an oldie but a goodie. First time we'd had a real chance to go 1 v. 1 with a Fulcrum.

Hornet v. MiG
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

An interesting and evenhanded article. One paragraph literally leaped out of the page at me:

The guy I fought was actually pretty experienced. He was [call sign] Taro. We’re more experienced than [the Malaysian pilots], as we do a lot more practice. But Taro did a lot of out-of-plane maneuvering, not often seen from the Malaysian pilots. He was really good.” Shipley hopes to participate in a future Air Warrior.
    When you take a newly minted pilot out on his first real BFM ride, they really don't have a clue as to what to do. With the adrenaline pumping, and no real ideas, they simply point at the enemy, and wonder how and why they end up in front so quickly. OOP (out of plane) maneuvering is one of the very first things one learns; how to exploit vertical turning room and thus remain behind the bandit's 3-9 line. The fact that only a couple of these guys exploit the vertical in any significant manner is telling.

Too many Air Forces in the world treat their fighters as interceptors, and the days of ground-guided interception in the 1950's sense is long gone.

And of course, flight time... it makes no sense to spend billions on a fleet of fighters and not keep pilots on the cutting edge of proficiency.

Comment

“This is comparatively an austere environment,” says Major Peter McArdle, 225’s maintenance officer. “It is more austere than Iraq, for instance, in terms of services available and conditions.” McArdle explains that air bases in Iraq, such as Al Asad, which is controlled by U.S. forces, are essentially kept to the same standards as those in the States. “Training in an austere environment is good for the Marines to learn how to operate with limited parts support, limited ground support, smaller ramp space than they’re used to,” says McArdle.
      This caught my eye. Almost like the tough Guadalcanal environment minus the shelling at night and bombing runs during the day. The Marines did it then with very little so they just needed a reminder. Can't let them get too spoiled.

Comment

Working...
      X