US Memorial Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Memorial Day

My deepest respects to all US military personnel who have served their nation honorably, and especially to those who perished while doing so.

With far more eloquence than I can muster, these 24 notes express it beautifully.

sigpic

Attached Files
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Thank you to both. More than Veteran's Day, the meaning of Memorial Day seems too often lost among an American public seeing this holiday more as a kick-off to summer activities. Your video and photo serve as solemn reminder of its true meaning built upon the deep sacrifice rendered by so many.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
        Thank you to both. More than Veteran's Day, the meaning of Memorial Day seems too often lost among an American public seeing this holiday more as a kick-off to summer activities. Your video and photo serve as solemn reminder of its true meaning built upon the deep sacrifice rendered by so many.
        I have made that point many times before, of people seeing Memorial Day as nothing more than a long weekend and an excuse to go shopping.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I've always loved the origin of Taps, and the history of bugle calls in general. Taps was written during the Civil War. For the USA, I don't believe there was ever a period more critical, dangerous, and ultimately meaningful, than that period in our history.

Most Americans think of it as a final farewell to a fallen soldier, and it is, but it is also a daily "lights out" signal; the end of the day. Time for sweet, sweet sleep before being jarred awake by reveille.

It was part of daily life at the USAF Academy, and AFAIK, all U.S. military bases still at a minimum have a "retreat" bugle call for the flag lowering. Most also have a reveille bugle played for raising the flag at the start of the day.

Comment

Present Arms.

Comment

10 years ago today I attended the funeral of LCDR John E Buchanan, my uncle and namesake. A 3 war veteran who served 26 years as a Navy enlisted man, enlisted and commissioned pilot. And I thought of his brother, my dad, Fireman 1 Class Paul G. Buchanan who joined the Navy in WW 2 on his 17th birthday.

God Bless all who gave the last full measure of devotion.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

AR,

10 years ago today I attended the funeral of LCDR John E Buchanan, my uncle and namesake. A 3 war veteran who served 26 years as a Navy enlisted man, enlisted and commissioned pilot. And I thought of his brother, my dad, Fireman 1 Class Paul G. Buchanan who joined the Navy in WW 2 on his 17th birthday.

God Bless all who gave the last full measure of devotion.
                your parents sure didn't believe in making it easy for you, with such a namesake to live up to!

i hope everyone had a great weekend and spent some time in contemplation.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  AR,

your parents sure didn't believe in making it easy for you, with such a namesake to live up to!

i hope everyone had a great weekend and spent some time in contemplation.
                  That's why I went into the Army and not the Navy!
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X