Iron Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Man

Taking the kids to see Iron Man 3 today. Given the current level and trend of technology, what science fiction type weapons or weapon systems in the movies do you see ever becoming reality? Should things like battle suits if achievable ever become reality or would they just be over-engineered death traps? Will directed energy weapons ever be man(or woman) portable? Will smart submunitions give an individual the ability to engage and attack multiple targets? Can flight be practical for individuals? I pick on these particular abilities because they are featured in the movie and have some current forays into them, but feel free to put forward whatever fictional movie technologies that are out there as long as they have some tenuous basis in reality.

I want a lightsaber!!!!!
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Interestingly, I think a lot of the tech in Iron Man WILL come to fruition this century; I think we're getting away from "mass" technologies (intercontinental bombers, strategic nuclear submarines, ICBM's, etc.), and more into "tactical" weapons. In WWII/Korea/Vietnam, soldiers had a uniform and a personal weapon; nowadays, soldiers have several "tactical enhancement" devices, including GPS, IR goggles, lasers, etc. I don't think it will be REAL long before everything is integrated into a single platform, a la Iron Man or War Machine.
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
        I want a lightsaber!!!!!
        make it two!

may the force be with you!
        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

One of my brothers has a college friend who is now studying in Melbourne, Australia.

He has a sort of fan like thing which he wears like a backpack and can fly with it!

So yes, I think we are not too far from Iran Man type technology.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
            Given the current level and trend of technology, what science fiction type weapons or weapon systems in the movies do you see ever becoming reality?
            At one end of the technological spectrum Skynet from the terminator movies and at the other the plague from 12 Monkeys or any similar film.
            If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

I like the small rockets that pop out of a box on his shoulder- dozens of them all independently targeted, fire and forget.

Comment

I like the small rockets that pop out of a box on his shoulder- dozens of them all independently targeted, fire and forget.
                like Robotech VF-1's
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Underwear and socks which stay clean indefinitely when you are in the field.

A good, liteweight, effective electric razor.

Coffee that tastes as good out of combat ration as the coffee I make in my kitchen.

Give me those and I am yours forever.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Underwear and socks which stay clean indefinitely when you are in the field.

Coffee that tastes as good out of combat ration as the coffee I make in my kitchen.

Give me those and I am yours forever.
                    and i guess heres the difference between a professional & some fan-boys :)

Comment

One question: Can it swim yet?
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        I said some basis in reality

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                          One question: Can it swim yet?
                          Didn't you see the beginning of The Avengers?
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I said some basis in reality
                            One can always hope.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Forget all the tech, just give me the Black Widow.
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X