No announcement yet.

Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave he was a politician who was made a general because his influence was useful in raising volunteers. He was not grossly incompetent but his skills were limited to there is the enemy so I will attack. He was no coward but he was a political schemer. He worked behind Grant's back to replace him and gain the political laurels for himself.

Until Vicksburg fell Grant's best friend, after Sherman, was Lincoln. Most knew not to doubt him after that.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

1863. West Virginia became the 35th State....and home to my alma mater!

2 great traditions were born.

This we sing before every home football game...

And this what we do when we win a big game!!!

WVU, where scholars be learnin' and couches be burnin'!
      Mark Twain

Comment

1863 Heavy skirmishing around Uppersville and Haymarket and Thoroughfare as the 2 armies move northward into Maryland.
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          1863 Heavy skirmishing around Uppersville and Haymarket and Thoroughfare as the 2 armies move northward into Maryland.
          I am headed to Dranesville (Great Falls) today, via Upperville, Middleburg, and Aldie. As always I'll be imagining the scene back then.

By the time I get to Aldie, Thoroughfare Rd and Haymarket will be to my southeast, say 15-20 miles. That being the case, the skirmishing must have covered a fairly large area. I haven't exactly pinned down where Lee crossed over the river. Which invasion was afoot on this date? The one that ended at Gettysburg?
          Last edited by JAD_333; 21 Jun 13,, 16:50.
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            1863. West Virginia became the 35th State....and home to my alma mater!

2 great traditions were born.

This we sing before every home football game...

And this what we do when we win a big game!!!

WVU, where scholars be learnin' and couches be burnin'!
            AR,

What is the connection between blazing couches and becoming 35th state?

I tried to google it and only found articles that Morgantown is now considering it a felony.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              AR,

What is the connection between blazing couches and becoming 35th state?

I tried to google it and only found articles that Morgantown is now considering it a felony.

Drunk college students. What can I say?
              Mark Twain

Comment

1864. The First Battle of Reams Station...the ignoble end to the Wilson-Kautz Raid.
                Mark Twain

Comment

1863. The Tullahoma Campaign...Rosecrans finest hour.

1865. Stand Watie surrenders in the Oklahoma Indian Territory the last Confederate general officer to surrender in the field.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

1864. Maryland abolished slavery. The Battle of Jerusalem Plank Road ended.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

25 June The Seven Days Campaign begins with the Battle of Oak Grove.

26 June Battle of Beaver Dam Creek. Poor planning and execution has 15,000 Confederates attack dug in Union troops to no avail and high casualties.

25 June Battle of Staunton River Bridge. Part of Wilson-Kautz Raid.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

1862 The Battle Gaines Mills (also called 1st Cold Harbor)

1864 The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
                        Mark Twain

Comment

1862: Passage of Vicksburg batteries by Flag Officer D.G. Farragut's deep water fleet
                          1862: Action at Garnett's and Golding's Farms, Virginia
                          1863: U.S. Maj. Gen. George Meade replaces Joseph Hooker as head of the Army of the Potomac
                          Mark Twain

Comment

1862: Battle of Savage's Station, Virginia

1864: Battle of First Ream's Station
                            Mark Twain

Comment

1862. Battle of Frayser's Farm/Glendale

1863. Battle is Sporting Hill and Hanover as Union and Confederate cavalry skirmished NE of Gettysburg. Buford's Division moves into Gettysburg.

1865. The 8 Lincoln assassination conspirators as convicted.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

1846: 21 Civil War generals graduate from West Point
                                1862: Battle of Malvern Hill, Virginia
                                President Lincoln signs the Pacific Railway Act, incorporating the Union Pacific Railroad and subsidizing it with federal funds.

1863: Battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania begins
                                Last edited by Albany Rifles; 01 Jul 13,, 16:53.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X