No announcement yet.

Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The IX Corps AOP crosses the James River on a 2100 long float bridge, the longest in warfare and would remain that until WW2. 3 steamers were used to help hold it in place against the current. The AOP would march within a 1/2 mile of my house on the way to Petersburg.

At Petersburg Baldy Smith's corps of the AOJ would conduct the first attack on the city, initiating the 10 month campaign.

Edwin Stanton would sign the order establishing Arlington National Cemetary on the grounds of the R. E. Lee's estate.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

1862 The Battle of Secessionville, SC.

The Battle of Secessionville Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org
      Mark Twain

Comment

1864. At Petersburg, Union forces conduct disjointed attacks against the reconstituted Confederate works resulting in high casualties. Perhaps the most infamous was the assault by the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery. The assualt resulted in the greatest single loss of life in a Union regiment to occur in the war, with 7 officers and 108 men killed, and another 25 officers and 464 men wounded. These casualties constituted 67% of the strength of the 900-man force.

Charge of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery

FYI, Jimmy Blankenship runs the archeology program at Petersburg NBP and also is considered the foremost authority on the US Military Railroads in the ACW.

And he also frequents my favorite bar in Petersburg!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Albany Rifles; 18 Jun 13,, 15:56.
        Mark Twain

Comment

AR,

1st Maine Heavy Artillery.
          were these the boys that were originally in the forts protecting DC until Grant had them pulled out for his '64 offensives?

gotta suck to go from a REMF to tip of the front line just like that.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            AR,

were these the boys that were originally in the forts protecting DC until Grant had them pulled out for his '64 offensives?

gotta suck to go from a REMF to tip of the front line just like that.
            First Maine Forward: The Battle of Harris Farm Then and Now!!!

Yup. Their first engagement was the Battle of Harris Farm at the tail end of the Spotsylvania Campaign. They were in a new division formed by the 2nd NY, 4th NY, 7th NY, 8th NY and 1st Massachusetts Maine Heavy Artillery Regiments.

The MA & ME regiments both took veru heavy casualties that day. The 1st ME HA was to have 23 officers KIA, the highest number of any regiment in the ACW.
            Mark Twain

Comment

I will be at Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg next week. I don't know anything about the Civil War. Someone help me!!!
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                I will be at Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg next week. I don't know anything about the Civil War. Someone help me!!!
                Better you than me!!!!

I am going nowhere near that zoo this year!

Go to civilwar.org, search on Gettysburg and enjoy.

Tons of great info there.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Gunnut:

I'll be 20 miles from Gettysburg this weekend (Chambersburg area). I was over at the battlefield a few weeks ago. It's huge. Just be sure you take it all in. Parts you can drive through. Stop often and study the terrain and look at the monuments. In the town of Gettysburg there are some historic places, like the house Lincoln stayed in the night before he gave his Gettysburg address. The local libraries are stuffed with books on the battle.

You won't have time to learn much about the war before next week, but perhaps you can find a book that touches on the main points. Make sure you get a reputable book. There are a lot of bad ones out there.
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Gun nut,

If you can afford it it you may want to get one of these guys.

The Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides
                    Mark Twain

Comment

1863. Grant relieves McLernand
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Gunnut,

This video may help as well.

Minecraft Animation -- The Battle of Gettysburg - YouTube

Enjoy!
                        Mark Twain

Comment

1862 Lincoln signs a law prohibiting slavery in the Western territories.

1864 The Kearsage sank the Alabama off Cherbourg

Battle of Cherbourg (1864) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          Mark Twain

Comment

My friend's wife booked us this tour:

Gettysburg Tours - Bus tours from Washington DC to Gettysburg PA

Now I need a crash course on the battle itself. That Minecraft animation should help.

It's pretty amazing what people do with Minecraft. I've seen a full size model of the Starship Enterprise (with corridors to navigate through and working doors) and a scale model of an 8-bit processor (working).
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

The Battle of Gettysburg Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

Actually the minecraft was tongue in cheek.

Hit this link instead.

Good tour also.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                1863. Grant relieves McLernand
                                An interesting read on Gen Mc. Was he incompetent or was he side tracked?

Comment

Working...
                                X