Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in the American Civil War

Rather than psoting a bunch of separate threads I figured I would just use this as a catch all.

Today 16 May 1863 was the Battle of Campion's Hill, the largest and bloodiest of the battles of the Vicksburg Campaign.

Battle of Champion Hill - Northern Portion
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Suggestion: Start a "This day in history" thread.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Suggestion: Start a "This day in history" thread.
      I'm not that ambitious!!!

Feel free, though!
      Mark Twain

Comment

17 May

1863 Battle of Bug Black River part of the Vicksburg Campaign. Last battle prior to Confederates pulling back into their defenses.

Battle of Big Black River Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1864 Battle of Adairsville part of the Atlanta Campaign

Battle of Adairsville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Mark Twain

Comment

Shek's Facebook post reminded me to post these amazing photos.

At Massaponax Church in Spotsylvania County Sam Grant has a meeting with his senior officers.

I love the relaxed atmotsphere, and the casual way Grant leans over Meade's back in the second photo to discuss the plan. Also in the first photo Grant is sitting right under the tree between Charles Dana and John Rawlins.

An amazing scene.

Attached Files
          Mark Twain

Comment

Commander's call has come a loooong way...
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

"now, lt col custer will give a briefing on motorcycle safety, followed by a reminder by our first shirt on sexual assault prevention..."
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                "now, lt col custer will give a briefing on motorcycle safety, followed by a reminder by our first shirt on sexual assault prevention..."
                And don't forget, we're now entering the "101 Critical Days of Summer"
                "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

I blame Powerpoint.

Comment

Do you think they are addressing drownproofing as they approach the North Anna, Pamunkey, Tottopottamy and the James?
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      Do you think they are addressing drownproofing as they approach the North Anna, Pamunkey, Tottopottamy and the James?
                      No, they're trying to figure out the nearest computer lab so they can complete their online training before the HHC 1SG pulls their pass.
                      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Do you think they are addressing drownproofing as they approach the North Anna, Pamunkey, Tottopottamy and the James?"

Hope they've got it down by that point. OTOH, I'd like to know why the sergeant major or topkick isn't raising hell about officers pulling their heads out of their azzes and dispersing those damned horses? And whose idea was it to hold a staff briefing right next to the trains? And tell that fcukin' mess sergeant to get coffee up here pronto.

That's one slack-azzed bunch of yellow-bellied yanks...:bang:
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

That's one slack-azzed bunch of yellow-bellied yanks...

Who kicked ass as the year ahead would show.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

I'm certain you'd not find a greater collection of seasoned, cold-calculating, hard eyed senior officers (and TROOPS) anywhere in the world at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                              I'm certain you'd not find a greater collection of seasoned, cold-calculating, hard eyed senior officers (and TROOPS) anywhere in the world at that time.
                              Except perhaps for a group bearing down on Atlanta at the same time.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X