• Show
Clear All

• I was too ill yesterday to post but I need to add for 23 July

1885 Sam Grant passes away from throat cancer in Wilton, NY

1864 Second Battle of Kernstown, Virginia
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Between leave, furlough and Lyme Disease I've been remiss.

Today.

1861 Second Session of the Second Wheeling Convention is called to order.

1862 CSS Arkansas scuttled near Baton Rouge, Louisiana

1864 CSS Tallahassee departs Wilmington, North Carolina on a 3-week cruise
      Mark Twain

Comment

• 1864 Cavalry Engagement at Moorefield, West Virginia. Averell's Union cavalry smashed a Confederate force twice his size. This was the last action of Early's Raid Campaign. Early lost most of his cavalry in this battle which was to greatly hamper Confederate efforts in the coming Valley Campaign.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Not one fight for over two weeks?

I am teasing, just glad you are better.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Isn't today the day Mobile Bay fell?

Comment

• 1863. After the debacle at Gettysburg Lee offers to resign as a commander ANV
              Mark Twain

Comment

• 1862 The Battle of Cedar Mountain. The Northern Virginia Campaign opens The Battle of Cedar Mountain Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

A photo of my battlefield touring buddy and yours truly at Cedar Mountain Battlefield last May

1864 An explosion at City Point, Virginia is caused by a Confederate time bomb placed aboard a Union ammunition ship. 43 killed 126 wounded and an unknown number of freed blacks and other workers are vaporized. Through it all Grant maintained his composure. Within a week the Union has rebuilt all facilities and operations are back to normal. Military History Online
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Albany Rifles; 09 Aug 13,, 14:42.
                Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861 Battle of Wilson's Creek/Oak Hill, MO. Based on the number of combatants it would be a bloodier fight compared to the fight at First Manassas/Bull Run fought 3 weeks earlier.

The Battle of Wilson's Creek Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• 1862 The First Battle of Independence, MO

First Battle of Independence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• 1862 Battle of Little Creek, MO. Battle of Yellow Creek (1862) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861. George Thomas is appointed to BG of Volunteers. (Well look at that reward for loyalty!)

1862. JEB Stuart is appointed commander of cavalry for the ANV.

1863. A 200 pound Parrot rifle dubbed The Swamp Angel opens fire on FT Sumter and reduced it to rubble within days.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• 1863 The Great Sioux Uprising begins in Minnesota

1864 The Battle of Weldon Railroad/Globe Tavern begins as part of the Petersburg Campaign
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• August 21, 1862 Braxton Bragg crosses the Tennessee River at Chattanooga to start his Invasion of Kentucky

August 21, 1863 The Confederate Navy attempts to attack the USS New Ironsides with a torpedo from the four-man vessel the CSS David. The attack is ineffective

August 21, 1863 Quantrill's Raiders, now numbering more 400, attack Lawrence, Kansas, killing every male they could find who was old enough to carry a gun (a total of 183 men). One they missed was U. S. Senator James H. Lane, who hid in a cornfield in his nightshirt. Quantrill's men burned the town following the raid

August 21, 1864 Forrest liberates Memphis Almost 2,000 Confederates occupied Memphis for a few hours during the day, nearly capturing Major Generals Stephen Hurlbut and C. C. Washburn. The raid forced troops operating in the area to withdraw to Memphis, giving Forrest free reign to raid William Tecumseh Sherman's supply lines
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• View from the bureaucrat:

A Rebel War Clerk’s Diary, August 1863

August 21, 2013

A Rebel War Clerk's Diary at the Confederate States Capital, By John Beauchamp Jones

by John Beauchamp Jones

AUGUST 21ST, FRIDAY.—This is a day appointed by the President for humiliation, fasting, and prayer. Yet the Marylanders in possession of the passport office report the following in the Dispatch of this date:

“Passports.—The passport office was besieged yesterday and last night by large crowds of persons soliciting permission to leave the city, in order that some relaxation might be had from its busy scenes. Among those who obtained them were His Excellency Jefferson Davis and his Honor Joseph Mayo, both designing to pay a short visit to the neighboring County of Chesterfield.”

We fast, certainly—and feel greatly humiliated at the loss of New Orleans and Vicksburg—and we pray, daily.

Yesterday Fort Sumter suffered much from the enemy’s batteries, and much apprehension is felt for its fate.

Gen. Lee, it is said, is not permitted to follow Meade, who is retrograding, being weakened by detachments. A few weeks hence the fall campaign will open in Virginia, when the very earth may tremble again with the thunders of war, and the rivulets may again spout human blood.

There were no letters to-day, for the reason that last night the clerks in the post-office resigned, their salaries not being sufficient to support them. I hope a force will be detailed, to-morrow, to distribute the letters.

I met Prof. A. T. Bledsoe to-day as he was ambling toward the passport office. He said he was just about to start for London, where he intended publishing his book—on slavery, I believe. He has a free passage on one of the government steamers, to sail from Wilmington. He asked me if I fasted to-day; I answered yes, as usual! He then bid me good-by, and at parting I told him I hoped he would not find us all hanged when he returned. I think it probable he has a mission from the President, as well as his book to publish.
                              Daily Observations from The Civil War

I didn't know people needed passports to move around in the CSA.

To think that this picture of disintegration was recorded almost 2 years before Lee's surrender...
                              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• JAD,

AWESOME contribution to this thread!!!

And yes civil liberties were not greatly enjoyed in the Confederacy. It was intended to prevent intelligence gathering and also to restrict movements of free blacks.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X