No announcement yet.

Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1861 Engagement at Rich Mountain, Virginia (now West Virginia)
    1862 Henry Halleck named General-In-Chief. Lincoln finds his paperpusher.
    1863 First assault on Fort Wagner, South Carolina
    1864 Jubal Early's Raid and the Battle of Fort Stevens Note: The 43rd NYVI would lose their regimental commander and XO and 3 company commanders KIA that day. Every field grade officer in 3rd Brigade, 2d Division, VIth Corps AOP would become a casualty that day. They fought under the eyes Lincoln on that day.
    Battle of Fort Stevens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

1862: Morgan's Confederate raiders capture Lebanon, KY on their first raid
      1864: Early's raid of Fort Stevens, DC continues. Early would withdraw early in the AM of 13 July.
      Mark Twain

Comment

Belated question about McClernand, hope it doesn't count as derailing your thread.

Grant really despised him. According to Grant McClernand couldn't do anything right. Grant put the blame for tactical setbacks in Ft. Donelson and Champion Hill on him. Was that justified or Grant playing the military politician?
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

1862 Secession of the western counties of Virginia recognized by senate as state of WV
          1863 The last of the ANV crosses the Potomac marking the end of the Gettysburg Campaign.
          1864 Battle of Tupelo (Harrisburg), Mississippi
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
            Belated question about McClernand, hope it doesn't count as derailing your thread.

Grant really despised him. According to Grant McClernand couldn't do anything right. Grant put the blame for tactical setbacks in Ft. Donelson and Champion Hill on him. Was that justified or Grant playing the military politician?
            Grant was hardly a perfect man. He did despise McClernand...but McClernand gave him plenty of reason. If you see the line up of forces and the execution of the Vicksburg Campaign you begin to realize that McClernand was the first to believe in Grant's scheme and the most vigorous in prosecuting it. He was baulky at Champions Hill...but I have stood on the ground and I am not surprised. While not brilliant McClernand did win at Grand Gulf,

What upset Grant was McClernand went behind Grant's back, something he specifically forbade. So like so many others Grant put up with McClernand as long as he served Grant's purposes. Once he became too much of a burden, he was jetisoned. He would do the same to Butler a year later.

As most of the professionals felt (and there is no doubt Grant was a professional) Grant shared his peers belief that the political generals were next to useless tactically but useful in raising troop....that was the name of the game. In fact the only political general he ever gave much credence to was Black Jack Logan...but Logan had been proving it on the battlefield since Shiloh.

And don't worry about thread jacking...I am trying to encourage discussion by informing.
            Mark Twain

Comment

1862: CSS Arkansas sorties from Yazoo River and passes the combined Union fleets
              Mark Twain

Comment

1862 Confederate representative meets with Napoleon III of France to discuss foreign aid.

1864 General Jubal Early leaves Leesburg and heads west to the Shenandoah Valley.
                Mark Twain

Comment

1863. The 2d Battle of Fort Wagner, SC.

1864. The Battle of Cool Springs, VA.
                  Attached Files
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Stunning! Great workmanship

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                      Stunning! Great workmanship
                      Dave,

Here is the story.

story -

I remember my Dad showing it to me as a child....and revisit whenever I can.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• 1863 The Battle of Buffington Island, Ohio Morgan is badly hammered trying to cross the Ohio River. He would lose almost 70% of his command.

Battle of Buffington Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Dave,

Here is the story.

story -

I remember my Dad showing it to me as a child....and revisit whenever I can.
                          Thanks for that AR. ''The Robert Gould Shaw Memorial remains one of sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens' most stirring and celebrated masterpieces and is considered by some to be America's greatest public monument.'' ... Of that there can be little doubt.

Comment

• that's one of my favorite memorials, and absolutely touching. i'm not ashamed to admit that Glory brought a tear to the eye!

for me, this represented a signal moment in history, where the best aspects and impulses of the Enlightenment tradition overwhelmed the autocratic, malign influence of the mid-Atlantic slave trade tradition.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• And it begins....

1861: War's first major battle erupts at Manassas (Bull Run), VA

The Battle of Bull Run Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

1863: Cavalry clash along many gaps in the Manassas?Bull Run ountains as Lee hurries to interpose the ANV between the AOP & Richmond.

1864: Union forces under Frank Blair seize Bald Hill and Federal forces observe Atlanta proper for the first time since the war began.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861 George B. McClellan ordered to Washington to take command of the Army of the Potomac following the defeat at Bull Run.
                                In a proclamation, Jefferson Davis accepts Tennessee as a member of the Confederacy

1862 President Lincoln presents his Emancipation Proclamation to his Cabinet. William Seward recommends waiting until a victory to present it to the public.

1864 Battle of Atlanta Hood's Second Sortie Major General William Hardee hits James McPherson's line from the south while Major General B. F. Cheatham attacks his corps along its wide front. In spite of McPherson's death the Union wins the battle.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X