No announcement yet.

Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a great point. some parts of the AOP command structure were quite touchy when Grant (and some of his subordinates from the West) came over; a bad mix of 'What do they know about Bobby Lee' on one side and 'Past Gettysburg, what do they know about WINNING' on the other.

took grant and meade working in conjunction to quiet it down.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I just saw a cool movie on the 54th Massachusetts, the first colored regiment in the Union army, and their assault on Fort Wagner. Amazed how they stand facing each other and coolly firing and getting hit, no cover, standing in plain sight.

I wanted to ask you guys this thing. Dont know if this is a delicate topic. I am a farm boy thousands of miles away so please excuse if it is.

Its been around 150 odd years right? So is there still some invisible tension between the states that were the South versus the Union states? Some no go, no cross lines?

I am asking both from a intra and inter-racial standpoint. Hope that's ok.

Comment

Battle of Front Royal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

23 May 1862 was the middle battle in Jackson's Valley Campaign.

3 Years later to the day was the first day of the Grand Review....Army of the Potomac first and the Armies of the West the next day.

Grand Review of the Armies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The AOP was smart and precise and the AOT/AOG were more ragged and sun burnished but there was much pride for all.

Side note: My beloved VI Corps, AOP, did not participate in the Grand review. They stayed behind in Appomattox to guard all the arms and equipment surrendered by the ANV and made sure all the the paroled soldiers were processed properly. They had a mini review of their own on 23 June 1865.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
          I just saw a cool movie on the 54th Massachusetts, the first colored regiment in the Union army, and their assault on Fort Wagner. Amazed how they stand facing each other and coolly firing and getting hit, no cover, standing in plain sight.

I wanted to ask you guys this thing. Dont know if this is a delicate topic. I am a farm boy thousands of miles away so please excuse if it is.

Its been around 150 odd years right? So is there still some invisible tension between the states that were the South versus the Union states? Some no go, no cross lines?

I am asking both from a intra and inter-racial standpoint. Hope that's ok.
          There are those from the South that would need to answer you.

From what I have seen and that is there are still those in the South who call those from the North, Yankees, and we are not talking baseball. Yet I have not heard anyone in the North use the term Johnny Reb or Rebels for those from the South.

Maybe in California but I was born in NYC in 1953 and spent the last fours years back east in Maryland from '62-66. While there I did detect and hear certain comments directed towards my family as Yankees especially one directed towards my mother. I understand my mother put that woman in her place after I was out of earshot. No way a New Yorker born and bred is going to keep their mouth shut.

Maryland is also the first place I ever came into contact with a black person. We had a maid come in once a week to clean and her name was Virgie. A very nice woman towards us kids.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            a great point. some parts of the AOP command structure were quite touchy when Grant (and some of his subordinates from the West) came over; a bad mix of 'What do they know about Bobby Lee' on one side and 'Past Gettysburg, what do they know about WINNING' on the other.

took grant and meade working in conjunction to quiet it down.
            What is interesting is that it's just after Massapponax that Grant and Meade's staffs have at it, so to speak.
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
              What is interesting is that it's just after Massapponax that Grant and Meade's staffs have at it, so to speak.
              And just two weeks after Grant sided with Sheridan over Meade on the raid which resulted in Yellow Tavern and the loss of Stuart.

I sometimes wonder of there might have been some different outcomes if Sheridan had been with the AOP as Spotsylvania was ending and could have interposed between Lee and the North Anna....
              Mark Twain

Comment

24 May 1861 Union troops occupy Alexandria, resulting in the death of Colonel Elmer Ellsworth commander of the 11th NYVI (Fire Zouaves) when he tore tear down a 1st National Confederate flag from the Marshall House Inn. The innkeeper killed Ellsworth and was immediately shot himself.

24 May 1864 James Ledlie would disgrace himself during the Battle of North Anna. This would not be the last time he would be the cause of the needless death of many Union soldiers.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Doppelganger,

There is still a LOT of resentment/tension in some areas and in some population groups.

Follow these 2 blogs to gain insight

DR Brooks Simpson's excellent Crossroads Blog

Crossroads | Where history, scholarship, the academic life, and other stuff meet.

and Kevin Levin's equally good Civil War Memory Blog

http://cwmemory.com/blog/

But there are huge swaths of our country and population where it barely registers.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

24 May 1864 James Ledlie would disgrace himself during the Battle of North Anna. This would not be the last time he would be the cause of the needless death of many Union soldiers.
                    when i read his bio several years ago i was outraged across the distance of 150 years. good god, he was -promoted- after he all but murdered the troops under his drunken command, and it took another massive f*ck up at the crater to get him cashiered. i'm surprised one of his troops didn't "accidentally" bump him off either before or after.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

1862. Stonewall Jackson won the First Battle of Winchester

1863. Congressman Clement Vanlandingham, leader of the Copperheads, was exhiled to the Confederacy.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

1865 Kirby Smith would surrender the Confederate Trans-Mississippi The formal surrender came on June 2. It was the last major Confederate surrender.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Talk about chance . . . there's no clearer rearing of its ugly head during the saddest affair.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

1863 Nathaniel Banks begins the siege of Port Hudson.

The Supreme Court issues a decision against Abraham Lincoln regarding the suspension of habeus corpus.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

1865: President Andrew Johnson proclaims amnesty for most ex-Confederates with an exception for property owners whose holdings total $20,000 dollars.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Those would be only one of the exceptions, no?
                                Last edited by Doktor; 29 May 13,, 15:35.
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X