No announcement yet.

Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1863 The second major bombardment of Fort Sumter. The three days of pounding artillery will be the heaviest in the siege of Charleston.

1864 Engagement at Fair Oaks and on Darbytown Road, Virginia
    Battle of Boydton Plank Road (Burgess' Mill), Virginia
    Union navy uses "torpedo" to sink Confederate ironclad Albemarle at Plymouth, NC
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• 1863 General O. O. Howard reaches Brown's Ferry, Tennessee from Stevenson, AL, opening the famous Cracker Line. It is interesting to note that this battle in the West involved troops from both sides who had fought at Gettysburg. Both forces were in teh West as reinforcements. The Confederates would return East but the XI & XII Corps would be reorganizd into the XX Corps and be assigned to the Army of the Tennessee. Battle of Wauhatchie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Mark Twain

Comment

• What is the best concise account on Cedar Creek? I found the accounts of the battle confusing, no doubt a reflection of the chaotic fight.
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

• C3,

The Go To book for me is From Winchester to Cedar Creek: The Shenandoah Campaign of 1864 by Jeff Wert. I believe that just reading about Cedar Creek loses the context needed of understanding how it played out based on the Shenendoah Campaign...all which happened prviously set the table.

The Civil War Trust's website (civilwar.org) has additional resources...its always a good starting point for battle resources.

Cedar Creek is marvelously well preserved except for the final line where the VIth Corps held. They also have a huge reenactment held annually on the anniversary.
          Mark Twain

Comment

• 1862 Skirmish at Island Mound, MO, the first engagement by African American troops in the ACW (1st Kansas Colored Volunteers) Skirmish at Island Mound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1863 Jefferson Davis grants Nathan Bedford Forrest's request for an independent command in north Mississippi and west Tennessee. This frees him from Braxton Bragg.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• 1862 MG Ormsby Mitchel dies of yellow fever in Beaufort SC

1864 Skirmish at Muscle Shoals, Alabama
              Mark Twain

Comment

• A little dig at a HUGE blowhard....

Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861 Winfield Scott relieved from duty as Supreme Comander of the United States

1864 Nevada becomes 36th state
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861 George McClellan promoted to General-in-Chief. (Great administrator....lousy battlefield commander)
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• I have the feeling that the reason Cedar Creek was considered a decisive battle had operational and psychological dimensions in addition to raw battlefield losses. The Confederates were heavily reinforced by ANV troops, who could not be counted upon to remain in theater and the defeat of Jubal Early suggests the best shot the CSA could take wasn't good enough. Early also lost what precious cannons and provisions he took to the fight, and his army was badly disorganized... am I on mark here?
                      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                        I have the feeling that the reason Cedar Creek was considered a decisive battle had operational and psychological dimensions in addition to raw battlefield losses. The Confederates were heavily reinforced by ANV troops, who could not be counted upon to remain in theater and the defeat of Jubal Early suggests the best shot the CSA could take wasn't good enough. Early also lost what precious cannons and provisions he took to the fight, and his army was badly disorganized... am I on mark here?
                        You're half on the mark. The battle itself was herky jerky. Early achieved complete surprise and his troops rolled up the Union lines, captured many Yankees and a boat load of equipment, wagons and such. All pointed to a CSA victory, but little things happened that may have cost the CSA the momentum. For example, CSA troops stopped to eat cooking food left behind by retreating Yankees. Later Early seemed unsure how to proceed. His senior commanders wanted to press the attack, but he dallied. The Union commander, Sheridan, arrived late on the battlefield, but even before he got there his second in command, Gen Wright, had managed to form new lines. The CSA finally moved to break up the reformed Union lines but could not. That and the boisterous energy of Sheridan turned the tide of battle. Union forces counterattacked forcing Early to retreat leaving behind all the booty he had captured, a good bit of his artillery and many irreplaceable CSA dead. All in all the CSA attack was well planned and well executed up to a point. The little things I mentioned may or may not been responsible for his defeat, but they certainly contributed to it.

BTW I live a couple of miles from the battlefield and have traced Early's footsteps.
                        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          1861 George McClellan promoted to General-in-Chief. (Great administrator....lousy battlefield commander)
                          Albany:

Based on his record I agree he did not shine as a battlefield commander, but in my reading over the years I've formed the impression that he had the tactical sense to be a good commander. He did well enough at Antietam. He could have done better at Seven Pines and the Seven Days--he was great in retreat:)--had he not misjudged the forces arrayed against him. IMO, he suffered from 3 major drawbacks: 1) he consistently overestimated the enemy's strength, 2) he hesitated to commit his beloved troops to pitched battle for fear of unnecessary bloodshed; and 3) he was too preoccupied with his larger-than-life in the North to risk losing.

Comment

• 1862 Lincoln replaces McClellan with Burnside as commander of the Army of the Potomac
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                              Albany:

Based on his record I agree he did not shine as a battlefield commander, but in my reading over the years I've formed the impression that he had the tactical sense to be a good commander. He did well enough at Antietam. He could have done better at Seven Pines and the Seven Days--he was great in retreat:)--had he not misjudged the forces arrayed against him. IMO, he suffered from 3 major drawbacks: 1) he consistently overestimated the enemy's strength, 2) he hesitated to commit his beloved troops to pitched battle for fear of unnecessary bloodshed; and 3) he was too preoccupied with his larger-than-life in the North to risk losing.
                              Hence my assessment.

Those 3 major drawbacks made him a lousy commander.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                Hence my assessment.

Those 3 major drawbacks made him a lousy commander.
                                Yes, yes, of course. But he did show promise at least once, didn't he?

Comment

Working...
                                X