Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, to my tease of yesterday...

What is often overlooked by some folks is that the operations of the fall of 1862 represent the only real strategic level operation carried out by the Confederacy during the Civil War. That autumn the Confederacy organized 3 coordinated assaults against strategic and operational targets within Union territory. In the East Lee's Northern Virginia and Maryland Campaigns were not done in isolation. Yes they had the goal of getting the AOP away from Richmond and an attempt to get a Confederate Saratoga. But they were part of a coordinated effort to apply pressure against the Union. In the West, Bragg's Kentucky Campaign was aimed at the Ohio River Valley and was hoped as a spring board to "return" Kentucky to the Confederacy. This invasion resulted in the Battle of Perryville in early October. Coinciding with that was an attack by Stirling Price out of the Trans-Mississippi aimed at the critical northern Mississippi rail junction town of Corinth. This action resulted in the twin fights of Iuka & Corinth.

In all instances, and in varying degrees, each was to be for naught. By early November all 3 Confederate thrusts had been repulsed and the status quo returned.

And this leads to a little more on Bragg's campaign.

Several years ago I attended a seminar whcih discussed teh ACW in the borderland. Various speakers talkled about actions and activities in Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia & Maryland. Ken Noe spoke on the Battle of Perryville...this was not long after his masterful book on the that battle was published Perryville: This Grand Havoc of Battle: Kenneth W. Noe: 9780813122090: Amazon.com: Books.

Ken stated that while researching the book he noted a very peculiar trace for the Army of Tennessee for its route northward. The path the Confederates took looked like a tour of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail! Sure enough the line of advance fairly closely matched the trail. He had a cool map with overlay to illustrate the point.

So were the Confederates a bunch of drunks?

The answer actually had a very practical reason. The fall of 1862 was a very dry one in the South. It was really a major drought situation. So logically the armies moved along routes where they could get water. And distilleries are set up on reliable sources of water....natural springs! So that is why they were on that route. In fact the 2 armies clashing at Perryville started as a fight by picket lines along Doctor's Creek over pools of water in the drying stream.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861 Engagement on Santa Rosa Island, Florida

Battle of Santa Rosa Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1863 Bristoe Station Campaign begins in Virginia

The Battle of Bristoe Station Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

1864 Engagement at Tom's Brook, Virginia

The Battle of Tom's Brook Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org
      Mark Twain

Comment

• 1862 Fighting at Harrodsburg and Danville Cross Roads, Kentucky as Bragg retreats from Perryville.

1862 Jeff Davis asked the Commonwealth of Virginia to draft 4,500 blacks to complete fortifications at Richmond.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Sorry about the lack of dilligence...with over half my staff furloughed its been a rough couple of weeks!

1859 John Brown raids Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now West Virginia). (NOTE: I wrote a paper about this in grad school. Brown, et al, were charged with and convicted of treason by the Commonwealth of Virginia. I remembered arguing at the time that this was a terrible interpretation of the law. Why? 1. The attack came on Federal property...the Federal courts had jurisdiction. 2. Brown was prosecuted by Virginia....which had no right to bring the charges because a) treason is a Federal crime and b) even if Virginia had standing Brown was not a citizen of Virginia...so how could he be charged by Virginia? I concluded it was all because the Buchanan Administration wanted nothing to do with this entire event. And it was that same head-in-the-sand mentality which lead to so many other problems in the coming months.

1862 MG Ulysses S. Grant is given command of the Department of Tennessee

6 members of the Great Train Chase raiding team escape from Fulton County Jail. They would later be rewarded with Medals of Honor.

1863 MG U.S. Grant named to command Union Military Division of the Mississippi
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Sorry about the lack of dilligence...with over half my staff furloughed its been a rough couple of weeks!
            I am sorry to hear you are affected in that way. OTOH you still get paid, which is good. I guess.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              I am sorry to hear you are affected in that way. OTOH you will eventually get paid, which is good. I guess.

Fixed it.
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Ouch!!!

Well at least there are some up there who are worth admiring.

Toyota latest to defer payments for furloughed workers - Oct. 15, 2013

P.S. I know it's not for here, so I'll stop.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• 1863 Lincoln calls for 300,000 additional volunteers to join the army.

1864 General James Longstreet resumes command of his corps after suffering a serious wound at The Wilderness.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• 1859 U.S. Marines storm engine house at Harpers Ferry VA (now WV) and capture John Brown.

1862 Union Garrison captured at Lexington, Kentucky in Morgan's Raid.

1867 Russia cedes Alaska to the United States continuing the close relationship between the 2 countries which grew during the Civil War.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• 1863 Cavalry engagement known as the Buckland Races, Virginia

William Rosecrans is relieved of duty. General Grant replaces him as commander of the Army of the Cumberland with George Thomas.

1864 Raid on St. Albans, Vermont

1864 Battle of Cedar Creek (Belle Grove), Virginia

http://http://www.civilwar.org/battl...dar-creek.html

Cedar Creek is one of my favorite battles. It was the last battle where my namesake regiment fought with a regimental designation. After Cedar Creek, with enlistments expiring it was reorganized into 5 companies and designated the 43rd NYVI Battalion (Veteran). Additionally it was one of the great shining moments for my "favorite" Union corps, the VIth Corps. It was the finest moment of one of the best division commanders of either side, George Washington Getty. And it is the only battlefield of the war in which all of the units raised by the state of Vermont were present....Infantry, Artillery & Cavalry. While Jubal Early was not besmirched by the outcome, it effectively destroyed any Confederate control over the Shenendoah and removed the Army of the Valley from the order of battle...besides battle casualties massive desertions would follow in the months after the fight.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861. The Battle of Balls Bluff, VA. http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/ballsbluff.html
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• 1864 The Battle of Byram's Ford, the opening fight for the Battle of Westport (Kansas City), MO. Thos was to be the culminating battle of Price's Missouri Raid. Battle of Byram's Ford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• 1863 2 key events at Chattanooga, TN. Leonidas Polk is relieved by Bragg. Of more import, Grant arrives in Chattanooga to take personal command of the armies there.

1864 The Battle of Westport "The Gettysburg of the West" Battle of Westport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861 Western Union completes the first trans-continental telegraph line

People of West Virginia vote overwhelmingly in favor of creating a new state as spelled out by the Wheeling Convention

1862 Union Maj. Gen. William Rosecrans replaces Maj. Gen. Buell as commander of Army of the Ohio. The XIV Corps, better known as the Army of the Cumberland, is created from the Army of the Ohio.

1863 General Grant, in Chattanooga, approves the plan of "Baldy" Smith to open a "Cracker Line" between Chattanooga and the railhead at Stevenson, Alabama
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861 The First Battle of Springfield, MO First Battle of Springfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1862 US Grant takes command, again, of the Army of the Tennessee.

1863 The Battle of Pine Bluff, AR

1864 The Battle of Mine Creek The Battle of Mine Creek Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org This put an end to Price's disasterous Missouri Raid.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X