Today in the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
    Thanks for that Jad. It's the thought that anyone can be classed as 'contraband' ... smuggled goods illegal goods yes, but human beings? It's quite shocking to class people as goods and chattels.
    Dave, I completely agree with you. Sometimes injustices arise out of scrupulous adherence to the law. In this case it was the social contract, the Constitution, which Lincoln had sworn to uphold (no matter how fishy part of it stunk). Anyway he got it changed in proper form.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• 1862: Battle of Chantilly (Ox Hill), Virginia

The Battle of Chantilly Summary & Facts | Civilwar.org

1863: Battle of Devil's Backbone (Backbone Mountain)

Battle of Devil's Backbone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1864: Confederates evacuate Atlanta, Georgia
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Dave, also recall that accoding to the Constitution each slave counted as 3/5ths of a human being for population purposes to determine Congressional districts.

It was not rescinded until the 13th & 14th Amendment after the ACW.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• It's just astonishing in the cold light of day how one set of human beings classed another set of human beings even down to not classing one set as a whole being.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            It's just astonishing in the cold light of day how one set of human beings classed another set of human beings even down to not classing one set as a whole being.
            Oddly enough it was the non-slave states that struck that compromise. They wanted to limit the slave states population count, which, as Albany pointed out, was the basis of determining the number of representatives states could have in the House of Representatives. If every slave counted as one person in the census, the slave states would have more representatives.

It wasn't, so far as I understand, a matter of evaluating the black race compared to the white race.

When it came to the intrinsic value of coloreds, southerners and to a lesser extent northerners, considered them totally inferior to whites.

Comment

• To add a bit more to the discussion, the word slave is not mentioned in the Constitution until the 13th Amendment.

Under the Articles of Confederation each state had a vote. At the Constitutional Convention Edmund Randolph of Virginia laid out the Virginia Plan which proposed voting density based on population. This made sense to Virginia as it was the most populous states. However if only whites were counted Pennsylvania was almost as populous as Virginia. To move the plan forward a delegation proposed the slave population would count as 3/5s of a person when determining population. While it seemed as a way ahead Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts sneeringly replied

"Blacks are property, and are used to the southward as horses and cattle to the northward; and why should their representation be increased to the southward on account of the number of slaves, than horses or oxen to the north?"

Eventually compromise was reached....but that is what our Constitution is, one Grand Compromise.

For more on this topic;

Garrison's Constitution
              Mark Twain

Comment

• 1861: Confederate troops enter Kentucky, ending the state's neutral status

1862: Confederate forces under Braxton Bragg capture Frankfurt, the capital of Kentucky

1863: Lord Russell orders two ironclad Laird Rams bound for the Confederacy to be detained
                Mark Twain

Comment

• 1864: John Hunt Morgan is shot dead by Federal troops fleeing the home of a woman who had betrayed him
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• 1862: Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia enters Maryland

Ton's of info on South Mountain & the Antietam Campaign to be found here

Battle Search Results

And here

Antietam National Battlefield - Antietam National Battlefield
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      1862: Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia enters Maryland
                      I thought they started yesterday. They'd still be crossing over today, so I guess you're right. :)

Comment

• The Battle of Antietam begins in 2 weeks. I've been passing the battlefield every week for the last 6 months while traveling back and forth between Winchester and Chambersburg. I took a detour off 81 through Williamsport the other day. Not much to see there on a drive thru. I think I'll stop at the battlefield on my next trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                          The Battle of Antietam begins in 2 weeks. I've been passing the battlefield every week for the last 6 months while traveling back and forth between Winchester and Chambersburg. I took a detour off 81 through Williamsport the other day. Not much to see there on a drive thru. I think I'll stop at the battlefield on my next trip.
                          JAD, if you get a chance head east on Old US 40...you come out on the South Mountain battlefield. Nice interpretation doen their as well.

Antietam is one of my favorite eastern battlefields of the ACW. You can stand behind the visitors center and see almost all of the relevant parts of the battlefield less Burnside Bridge.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            JAD, if you get a chance head east on Old US 40...you come out on the South Mountain battlefield. Nice interpretation doen their as well.

Antietam is one of my favorite eastern battlefields of the ACW. You can stand behind the visitors center and see almost all of the relevant parts of the battlefield less Burnside Bridge.

I might just do that. Thanks.

Comment

• Diehards.

Ku Klux Klan Plans Rally At Antietam National Battlefield « CBS Baltimore

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                                Diehards.
                                I would say douchebags.

They do not represent the bravery of the soldiers of the ANV.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X