Indonesian president vows to outgun Australia - run and hide BF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    I hate that comparison, too, but Turkey has 3 EU members as neighbors. And still fares somewhat better. At least in my eyes.
    Always trust a Macedonian to have a balanced view of Greece

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
      Just to make it clear. I don't hold a grudge against Greeks, as many here do. Also, we were under Ottoman occupation for 5 centuries.:hug:

However, Turkey recognizes minorities (more then 20), is coping better with the corruption, private property is sacred (but forests), religious leaders don't inaugurate the PM or the President, all the while is not an EU country.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Just to make it clear. I don't hold a grudge against Greeks, as many here do. Also, we were under Ottoman occupation for 5 centuries.:hug:

However, Turkey recognizes minorities (more then 20), is coping better with the corruption, private property is sacred (but forests), religious leaders don't inaugurate the PM or the President, all the while is not an EU country.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Which in my mind is utterly bizarre but then there's no accounting for Europe.
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            Personally I like complex when it comes to politics & society. The ways you get to 'simple' tend not to appeal to me. At best boring, at worst bloody scary.

Well, I admire your preparedness to go to the ends of the earth to get a job....and Derrimut is far closer to the end than I ever want to get. I get to work in leafy Hawthorn and I get to walk there every day from the gentrified inner suburbs - all very civilized.

My grandparents used to live in Bendigo, so I used to visit Ballarat occasionally. Both are lovely little towns, but Ballarat is a godawful place in the winter. Freezing! I grew up in Albury & could see snow capped mountains from the house - Ballarat is WAY colder. Nice in summer though. In fact, that whole area is nice. Lots of quaint little towns & green rolling hills. Much more picturesque than home.

Oh, and I was serious about that beer. Give me a shout if you ever want to say g'day. :)

I guess that's progress...of a sort. ;)
            A drink that is, I will send you a PM later, probably when school is on holidays.

Thing is Melbourne is beautiful, I currently live in South Bank and I ride my bicycle almost everyday through South Gate my way home. Today was a perfect autumn day, I had a great seafood salad while leaves breeze through a mild wind at my university. Not gonna happen any time back in Jakarta

@chanjyj

Btw my share mate is Singaporean, tell you what, the place is fucking tidy and clean. Spotless!

Originally posted by Monash View Post
            PG - assuming the kind of long time frame I was talking about i.e. 50-70 years I can't see any reason why with continued economic growth and political stability (Big assumptions I know) Indonesia cannot become another Asian "tiger" economy and joined the ranks of wealthy developed nations. It's people are just as hard working and ambitious for success as those of any other nation in the region however they do need right economic environment in which to prosper including - this includes good public and corporate governance.
            I think forecasting 50 years ahead is very hard and can be highly inaccurate, anything can happen in that time frame.
            The only certain thing is a better Indonesia is better for everyone. Not only more developed or more affluent, but also more responsible and more cultured. Much will depend on politics as well. For the very near term, 2014 will be a big test for our democracy, because SBY has to go and there is no other prominent figure in the arena.

Indonesia has the potential, but we also have this tendency for self destruction. Like our football games

Judging by the active personnel, assuming they all have guns...

Even given how strict Aussies are about gun control, Indonesian military should have more guns then the whole continent.
            Equipment is quite lacking right now, but the good thing about a ragtag military is that you can buff it up pretty easily.

Comment

Bad example. Maldives may have been stable until recently, but it is far from moderate. Its interpretation of Islam has been traditionally very conservative, which is ironic considering the country's main source of income is kafir tourists.
              Not bombing your own tourists is moderate enough for me. Not exporting jihadists is fine by me. They can be an island to themselves (literally) as long as they don't destabilise the region.

I look at it from this perspective - are they troublemakers? Then I go down that route.

Comment

Originally posted by paintgun View Post
                @chanjyj

Btw my share mate is Singaporean, tell you what, the place is fucking tidy and clean. Spotless!
                Must be Army.. must be. Perhaps Navy. Not the Air Force for sure.
                Now if his table is ***** and span that's a different story

Comment

Equipment is quite lacking right now, but the good thing about a ragtag military is that you can buff it up pretty easily.
                  Buying good gear means very little - it's all about tradecraft and training before its about tools and toys. - I can think of any number of militaries that have hi end gear but crap training and tradecraft.
                  Linkeden:
                  http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                  http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

A drink that is, I will send you a PM later, probably when school is on holidays.
                    Sounds good. :)

Thing is Melbourne is beautiful, I currently live in South Bank and I ride my bicycle almost everyday through South Gate my way home. Today was a perfect autumn day, I had a great seafood salad while leaves breeze through a mild wind at my university. Not gonna happen any time back in Jakarta
                    Fair point. It is a beautiful city when the weather is right. Sydney will always beat us for looks, but for a city built on flat, swampy ground with no inherently beautiful natural features we scrub up alright. The whole 'seasons' thing is probably a nice change from Jakarta, assuming you can cope with the winters. I got here 25 years ago & it has improved plenty since then.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
                      Not bombing your own tourists is moderate enough for me. Not exporting jihadists is fine by me. They can be an island to themselves (literally) as long as they don't destabilise the region.

I look at it from this perspective - are they troublemakers? Then I go down that route.
                      They lash women for adultery. The only reason they don't destabilize the region is because there aren't enough of them. You don't need to be a jihadist to be a fundie Muslim.

Comment

Working...
                      X