Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar-powered plane takes off for flight across U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
    I cannot quote specifics, but ultra-long duration solar aircraft are being engineered that can act as temporary satellites, and do everything a satellite can, with the added advantage of being deployable anywhere in the world.

Above a certain altitude, the weather is not a factor, and what winds exist tend to be fairly smooth. Using GPS, lithium batteries, and obviously solar cells, they can execute a pre-programmed orbit at an altitude that guarantees a known solar flux during the daylight hours. As paintgun says... On board, you can have various sensors, cameras, communications relays, etc.

These things are definitely coming. I'm seeing more of a military application at first, but who knows what sort of commercial applications will follow?
    So a stratospheric satellite? Awesome!

Comment

All I was referring to is the ability to shoot down a solar plane that can orbit above 80,000 at 60 to 80 knots, nothing more. I think this particular solar airplane is just a publicity stunt, but there are some in development with real world applications.

Short of a nuclear airplane, a solar airplane is the only heavier than air device I can think of that can stay aloft indefinitely. And we all know what a variety of interesting payloads that can be carried these days.

There are people all over the world with electrified homesteads that are completely off the grid using a combination of solar and wind. It's currently cheaper just to burn fuel and pay for electricity, but it can be done, and probably will be more so in the future.
      Indeed this is a publicity stunt. One thing that comes to mind immediately for such a plane (pardon me, this is my hobby!) is a portable airborne VHF/UHF repeater. No more need for satellites. The day this comes I'll be a very very happy man.

Radio horizon extended and we can now all use 1/4 wave UHF antennas instead of asinine HF antennas and relying on ground wave+F layer ionospheric refraction.

Comment

I used to be a ham radio guy as well... assuming you are one. It sounds like it.

How about a tethered balloon repeater? With modern micro digital electronics, I'll bet a modest repeater wouldn't weigh much, and could be lofted to above 50,000' with relative ease.

Comment

I used to be a ham radio guy as well... assuming you are one. It sounds like it.

How about a tethered balloon repeater? With modern micro digital electronics, I'll bet a modest repeater wouldn't weigh much, and could be lofted to above 50,000' with relative ease.
          I wonder if you might run a micro fuel or helium line in the tether, to supply the balloon with out needing to land it, perhaps it could have secure network wiring for the electronics in the tether? They should be able to deposit and process thin films on the envelope surface and make the solar cells integral to the gas bag, though it may need to be panels joined together to make a quilt like bag. They could seal the bag with a plasma deposited film on the inside, while the balloon was inflated - just charge the inside and pull the coating ions into all the microfissures and seams - a very thin layer would do. The thin film solar cells would weigh very little (probably around a gram or so per m^2) and since they are already working on flexible displays, flexible solar cells could adapt those materials and processes.
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Indeed I am one. But I don't TX much, if at all and I tend to limit myself to the 2m/70cm bands (come to think of it, I have never made a transmission on HF with the exception of a dummy load). The few times I TX is not to talk, but to check repeater coverage on my portable radio.

I suppose it is due to my interest in commercial applications.
            Last edited by chanjyj; 07 May 13,, 23:41.

Comment

Tethered ballon repeaters can't be up indefinitely from my understanding of regulations (not to mention maintenance issues anyway). Furthermore right now in VK4 land where I'm temporarily residing, the Australian government is going to shoot me in the head if I start hoisting up balloon since I live in close proximity of BNE/YBBN. And.. some Blackhawks have been circling overhead recently.

Comment

hey when can developing nations be able to invent or invest in such sort of R&D

Comment

Solar Impulse C, the aircraft exclusively powered by solar energy, has successfully landed at John F Kennedy International Airport in New York, completing the final stage of the journey across the US.
                  Read More>>>

This aircraft has 12000 solar cells which will power four propellers and also charges the batteries which will be used in night. The solar impulse traveled 105 hours 41 minutes and 3,511 miles.

With the success of solar impulse we can expect more these kind of aircraft. I guess they will start with the single propeller aircraft like cessna 208, Aero AT3 and will reach Passenger jets like Boeing and Airbus .... but these needs more power than impulse .... lets see how it goes.

Comment

a perfect machine for drones and a perfect machine for targets,and imagine if it has the added ability of the fifth generation aircrafts ..with two cockpits and a small cabin ,than it shall be a havoc machine ,untraceable and a attacker,a spy a protector a detector a satellite any thing as you can use ,"n" no of wide options are open .

Comment

:slap:

1. How you imagine 12000 solar cells to be stealthy?
                      2. Adding more weight doesn't help, either. You want this thing to fly, right?
                      3. Why would you add 2 seats (assuming for pilots) to a drone?
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

discussions is of the solar powered machines and not of drones,i have only suggested the means and usage..that it can be used as a drone as a fighter read carefully understand and then comment sir.

Comment

Working...
                        X