Dornier Do 17 bomber to be raised from the sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Two shots of an FM-2 Wildcat that sat in Lake Michigan for 50+ years before being pulled out. Stored at NAS Pensacola and no doubt washed up. The aluminum skin was all in great shape. Maybe crunched in some spots on impact but surface wise fantastic. Fabric surfaces gone. The ferrous metal, in the landing gear assembly, does show rust but mostly surface and not through and through. The back of the crankcase clearly eaten away by the water though. Deposits in the fins of the cylinders are as hard as concrete and mean engine substitution in the air frame when done.
    That thing's been sitting there for a while, hasn't it? I seem to remember seeing it in the back of the hanger bay the last two or three times I've been on the Hornet.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

That's the one good thing about the B-52. It's already a museum piece!
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Recovered Dornier

Hey Tarek ,,,,,,,,,,, any offers for this , bit leaky mind , its full of holes :whome: ;)

Yahoo! News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

Comment

Doesn't look like there's much left of the old girl . . . .

World War II-Era German Bomber Raised Near English Coast
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            Doesn't look like there's much left of the old girl . . . .

World War II-Era German Bomber Raised Near English Coast
            Still more than whatever we had 2 days ago.

She'll probably never fly again. What a shame.

Comment

I wonder why this wasn't given War Grave status?

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                I wonder why this wasn't given War Grave status?
                I think the crew bailed before the crash. Or exited after the water landing. Would that be "watering?"

Here we go:

The Dornier, nicknamed the Flying Pencil because of its long thin fuselage, was shot down over the Goodwin Sands in August 1940.

Pilot Willi Effmert, 24, lost control as he tried to ditch and the plane flipped, coming to rest on its back.

It was soon covered by the shifting sands.

Effmert and his observer were taken prisoner. The bodies of the other two fliers were washed ashore.
                http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-world-1867866

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/mil...aised-sea.html
                Last edited by gunnut; 12 Jun 13,, 01:29.

Comment

Question for the WW2 buffs... during the battle of Britain, did either side maintain any sort of real surface control over the English Channel?

If I were the German Luftwaffe commander, I'd be pressuring the Kriegsmarine to produce, man, and launch a large number of high-speed patrol/torpedo boats for downed aircrew recovery in the Channel. Of course, these become vulnerable to attack by British aircraft (and naval assets) themselves. Likewise, British control of the channel would be subject to attack by the waves of German aircraft heading West from France and the low countries.

Did either side have effective SAR efforts? I know the Germans tended to use flying boats for this. Given that most of the combat was over (or close to) UK soil, the need for effective SAR was much greater for Germany.

With hindsight, we now know that Germany lost the cream of her experienced aircrew, and while the pilot pipeline was still open, those losses hurt Germany, far more than the airframes themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                    Question for the WW2 buffs... during the battle of Britain, did either side maintain any sort of real surface control over the English Channel?.
                    Yep, the British. Closed effectively for cargo and large warships but large quantities of torpedo boats, mine layers, mine sweepers and destroyers. A very nasty piece of the war that practically never gets mentioned. The only book I've read of it was one dad had about a torpedo boat. They regularly picked up aircrews out of the water
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                    X