747-400 crash in Afghanistan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    Even if only one broke free, that's somewhere between 14 and 16 tons rolling around. I'm assuming it's the normal MRAP, not the monstrous 24-ton things.
    MRAP's have air brakes, they wont roll around even if not tied down except under extreme circumstances.

Air brakes require air to stay released, if the air pressure goes away from a broken line, the vehicle being off etc the brake cans close and apply the brakes. The system is used on commercial trucks for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      they wont roll around even if not tied down except under extreme circumstances.
      Climbing up at a steep vertical rate would qualify as extreme circumstances in my opinion.

Comment

MRAP's have air brakes, they wont roll around even if not tied down except under extreme circumstances.

Air brakes require air to stay released, if the air pressure goes away from a broken line, the vehicle being off etc the brake cans close and apply the brakes. The system is used on commercial trucks for that reason.
        I know that air brakes are good for commercial vehicles, but I'm surprised they'd be used on a vehicle like that.
        It seems like they could be a problem if the vehicle's brake lines were damaged by hitting a mine (locking up the brakes due to broken lines - thus halting the vehicle in a place chosen by the enemy).
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Just pulling this from nowhere specific, but could they have been palletized somehow?

Comment

Working...
          X