Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolokonnikova appeal rejected

Court Denies Pussy Riot Member Parole

ZUBOVA POLYANA – A Russian court on Friday rejected Pussy Riot member Nadezhda Tolokonnikova’s application for parole. Tolokonnikova’s defense will appeal the ruling, lawyer Irina Khrunova told RAPSI. The defense argued that Tolokonnikova has a small child, has had no conflicts with other convicts and would readily be employed in the event of her release. In Friday’s ruling, the judge ruled in favor of the penitentiary authorities, who said Tolokonnikova did not deserve parole as she had not admitted her guilt and had a record of breaking the penal colony’s regulations. “Analysis of the convict’s conduct showed that she had not always observed the rules of conduct. She has two disciplinary penalties not yet removed from official records.”
    Source: RIA Novosti

The judge also complained that Nadia Tolokonnikova had not repented. However, there is no provision in Russian law which requires repentance as a condition of parole. I believe she will serve her full two year sentence at the Mordovia penal colony (about 550km southeast of Moscow).
    sigpic

there's something particularly gag-worthy about seeing the language of law used to twist rule of law.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
      there's something particularly gag-worthy about seeing the language of law used to twist rule of law.
      In order to enforce the will of him whose word is law...

Comment

I wonder if Putin ever heard of the Streisand effect?

Comment

An update. For the past week, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova has been on a hunger strike at the penal colony where she is incarcerated. After her blood pressure fell to dangerous levels, she was transferred to a hospital at Berezniki and given stabilizing injections. Her husband, Pyotr Verzilov, said she is doing well but she still refuses solid food and will only accept water.
          sigpic

Comment

Just gleaned this off the BBC ''Maria Alyokhina, a jailed member of the Russian punk band Pussy Riot, has ended her hunger strike after 11 days, her friend has said''.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
              Just gleaned this off the BBC ''Maria Alyokhina, a jailed member of the Russian punk band Pussy Riot, has ended her hunger strike after 11 days, her friend has said''.
              Member of Pussy Riot refused parole in Russia
              24 July 2013

A provincial court refused parole to Maria Alekhina, one of the jailed members of the punk band Pussy Riot, ignoring an appeal by 100 international musicians calling for her release. The court in Perm rejected the parole appeal of Ms Alekhina, who spoke to the court via video link. She was convicted of hooliganism. “Your strength, bravery and fearlessness are an inspiration to us all,” said the letter to Ms Alekhina and Ms Tolokonnikova, signed by musicians including Sting, Bryan Adams, U2, Madonna, Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Elton John.
              Source: The Independent
              sigpic

Comment

Pussy Riot member Nadezhda Tolokonnikova is currently very ill in a prison hospital. With six months remaining on her 2 year sentence for hooliganism, Tolokonnikova says she will continue her hunger strike if she is sent back to the penal colony at Mordovia (PC-14). On September 23, she declared the conditions at the prison to be intolerable and began her hunger strike.

In a letter to Lenta.ru Tolokonnikova laid bare the conditions at Mordovia. On her first day, Lieutenant Colonel Kupriyanov (co-Administrator) explained that she would not receive an early parole unless she admitted her guilt. Prisoners work 17 hours a day with only four hours of sleep. There is only one day off every 45 days. Conditions are highly unsanitary - "The pigs are scared to touch you themselves." The general 'hygiene room' for body washing (one day a week) has a capacity of 5 and a time limit for 800 prisoners. In each barrack is a Kapo (prisoner employee) who beats the prisoners on a whim. Temperature is not a concern - "If you get frostbite they simply cut your fingers or toes off." Punishment includes increasing the daily work quota and standing in the elements until prisoners collapse. They will also send you to a 'pressure unit' where prisoners are beaten/abused all day. Suicide is not unheard of and woe to anyone who complains. As LC Kupriyanov so eloquently put it, "No one complains in the afterlife."

This is a glimpse of Putin's Russia that the West rarely hears about. Russian officials hint that Tolokonnikova will not be sent back to PC-14. Way too much bad ink with Sochi on the horizon.
                sigpic

Comment

The prisoners of conscience in action.Before they went to prison.

Those who know don't speak
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

And for that stunt, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova was sent to the Strict-Regime Penal Colony in Mordovia (Zubovo-Polyansky District) where 2,500 women are brutalized on a daily basis. Bitterly cold in winter, malarial in summer due to the surrounding swamps.

"The women’s penal colonies of Mordovia are Russia’s worst, said Pavel Chikov head of the Agora human rights organization. Mordovia colonies are different than all the others, he said. It comes from the time of the gulag. Women laboring at Penal Colony No. 14 are bound to a system that requires sewing a large number of police uniforms every day on unreliable machines, the volume regulated by contracts that the authorities have signed with buyers. The quotas are impossible to achieve, Chikov said, so the women are pressured to work longer and longer hours. Fearful of being punished, violence among prisoners is commonplace because the entire brigade will suffer if quotas fall short." - Pavel Chikov

"In May 2013, my lawyer Dmitry Dinze filed a complaint about the conditions at PC-14 with the prosecutor's office. The deputy head of the colony, Lieutenant Colonel Kupriyanov, instantly made conditions at the camp unbearable. There was search after search, a flood of reports on all of my acquaintances, the seizure of warm clothes, and threats of seizure of warm footwear. At work, they get revenge with complicated sewing assignments, increased quotas, and fabricated malfunctions. The leaders of the unit next to mine, Lieutenant Colonel Kupriyanov's right hands, openly requested that prisoners interfere with my work output so that I could be sent to the punishment cell for "damaging government property." They also ordered prisoners to provoke a fight with me. It is possible to tolerate anything as long as it only affects you. But the method of collective punishment is bigger than that. It means that your unit, or even the entire colony, is required to endure your punishment along with you. This includes, worst of all, people you've come to care about." - Nadezhda Tolokonnikova

Strict-Regime Women's Penal Colony in Mordovia (PKU IR-14 / former Gulag designation ZHH-385/14)

Slave labor for 17 hours each day with antiquated machines and impossible quotas. The more they toil, the greater the ruble-skim for prison authorities

Beatings and abuse are commonplace

In short, a Soviet era Gulag. But it seems Mihais is cool with this. Odd from someone who always complains bitterly about Soviet barbarity in Romania.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

In short, a Soviet era Gulag. But it seems Mihais is cool with this.
                      Fascinating .How on Earth did you reached that conclusion?Anyway,a very dishonest BRAVO.
                      There are two separate issues.One is what these women did,that landed them in prison.The other is the state of the Russian prisons.Which is no news,except for somebody living in the ivory tower.That camp may be from the Soviet era.
                      But slave labor?How about avoiding that by not going to prison?Also interesting you're calling them women and slaves.They are of course women,but they don't look that those gentle,delicate beings,in need of care and protection.There,they are inmates.I don't actually give a damn about Russian laws,but I'll risk some money betting they're common criminals.
                      Beatings and abuses NEVER happen in prisons.Except, of course,Russian ones

There are genuine victims of the Russian aparatchiks.Like those reasonably decent bussinesmen being removed by their competition via dirty bureaucrats,policemen,politicians.Not the high profile cases ,who happened to be on the losing side,but otherwise they're just as nasty as their tormentors.Small and medium ones.

You wanna talk on the differences between Norwegian system,that gave Breivik a nice hotel room and the Russian system that forces inmates to sew clothes,go for it.
                      If you want to present lil' Nadezhda as some sort of Solzhenitsyn,carry on
                      Those who know don't speak
                      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Bro,

Whatever someone does, even more if not taking/jeopardizing other people lives, doesn't deserve to be treated like that or sent to work 17 hours a day with 4 hours sleep. Arbeit macht frei mentality among those who engineered that system?.

On the same note, are there any studies if those who serve there are better or worse when they go back to the society? I'd risk a bet that they come out worse then before. At least in higher percentage then from other institutions.
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I sympathize with the Pussy Riot ladies for the inhumane torment they are being put through, however, it was an extremely stupid thing which they did, and it is even more stupid that they refuse to repent and apologize for their actions.
                          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                            I sympathize with the Pussy Riot ladies for the inhumane torment they are being put through, however, it was an extremely stupid thing which they did, and it is even more stupid that they refuse to repent and apologize for their actions.
                            I don't agree with what they did either. But I also believe that the punishment should fit the crime. Inhumane gulags like Mordovia have no place in any modern civilized society.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                              I do not think that they should have to apologize. They were expressing free speech and the right to criticize Putin. The state overreacted in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X