No announcement yet.

Happy Belated Anzac Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems as apt a thread as any to highlight Major General Sir Andrew Hamilton Russell KCB, KCMG, the greatest New Zealand soldier (IMHO) to walk a battlefield.
    Andrew Hamilton Russell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/biograph...ndrew-hamilton
    Last edited by Parihaka; 29 Apr 13,, 10:48.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      To all our Antipodean Diggers & Kiwis I hope you had a good ANZAC Day yesterday.

Sorry for missing it.

"Those heroes that shed their blood
      And lost their lives.
      You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.
      Therefore rest in peace.
      There is no difference between the Johnnies
      And the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side
      Here in this country of ours.
      You, the mothers,
      Who sent their sons from far away countries
      Wipe away your tears,
      Your sons are now lying in our bosom
      And are in peace
      After having lost their lives on this land they have
      Become our sons as well."
      M. Kemal ATATURK
      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
        M. Kemal ATATURK
        Thought you might like this Kerem

Attached Files

Leibniz

Comment

It's called the Ataturk memorial
          Attached Files

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            Seems as apt a thread as any to highlight Major General Sir Andrew Hamilton Russell KCB, KCMG, the greatest New Zealand soldier (IMHO) to walk a battlefield.
            Andrew Hamilton Russell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russell, Andrew Hamilton – Biography – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand
            I do not quibble on this but do you think he was better than LTG Bernard Freyberg? If so, I would love to hear your reasoning.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              I do not quibble on this but do you think he was better than LTG Bernard Freyberg? If so, I would love to hear your reasoning.
              Freyberg had more Élan, but still came very much from the British mold and was British in the colonial sense. In his approach to his troops and the way he used them he was more like Godley, romanticising the nature of NZ soldiers and their abilities while simultaneously being happy to throw them away uselessly, reflecting his own actions in WWI.
              He himself placed great reliance on the New Zealanders élan to achieve his objectives.

Russell was at times a brutal disciplinarian, having at times to be curbed by his British commanders, but insisted that all his officers and NCO's cared for their men to the utmost: when the opportunity arose he trained his division ceaselessly and planned his attacks in great detail making sure his men, right down to the privates, understood exactly not just the overall plan but their exact parts in it.
              By the time of Messines Ridge he had welded them into an un romantic, brutally effective killing force, as a division second to none in the last two years of the war.

Leibniz

Comment

Freyberg had more Élan, but still came very much from the British mold and was British in the colonial sense. In his approach to his troops and the way he used them he was more like Godley, romanticising the nature of NZ soldiers and their abilities while simultaneously being happy to throw them away uselessly, reflecting his own actions in WWI.
                He himself placed great reliance on the New Zealanders élan to achieve his objectives.

Russell was at times a brutal disciplinarian, having at times to be curbed by his British commanders, but insisted that all his officers and NCO's cared for their men to the utmost: when the opportunity arose he trained his division ceaselessly and planned his attacks in great detail making sure his men, right down to the privates, understood exactly not just the overall plan but their exact parts in it.
                By the time of Messines Ridge he had welded them into an un romantic, brutally effective killing force, as a division second to none in the last two years of the war.
                agree, I'd argue that Monash was the Oz equiv of Russell

lateral thinking, training and discipline
                Linkeden:
                http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                  agree, I'd argue that Monash was the Oz equiv of Russell

lateral thinking, training and discipline
                  He was, they came from the same mold

Leibniz

Comment

Thought you might like this Kerem

[ATTACH]32853[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]32854[/ATTACH]

It's called the Ataturk memorial
                    yes i like it. thanks.

i think The Gallipoli War created a unique bond between our nations.

and i am very proud of it...

btw, i dont recall anyother war resulted that way.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

I wont reply with quotes too many of them but if you listing places where troops have been on Active service then perhaps you should consider UN missions such as UNTAG (Namibia) which by the way was before Somalia and the first major deployment of troops overseas since the Veitnam War. We also had the pleasure of 24 NZ Sappers joining us on the Second rotation.

Comment

Working...
                      X