No announcement yet.

Boston Marathon bombings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have NECN playing in the background while working today.

NECN - Breaking News, Boston Weather, politics and the Latest Business, Health, Arts and Sports

They have been doing a pretty good job in their reporting.
    Last edited by JRT; 19 Apr 13,, 20:50.

Comment

• Seems like they got him cornered.
      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

• To lighten the mood a bit.

Boston Marathon explosions: Good Samaritan who gave away his race medal identified | Toronto Star

And of course, I heard some reports that while businesses across Watertown are closed, the 4 DDs in Watertown stayed open....and 1st Responders are getting coffee for free.

To understand what DD means to Hew Englanders in general and Bostonians in particular....combine Starbucks and Tim Hortons.....THATs Dunkin' Donuts in the Boston psyche. I have actually stood in from of a DD and could look left and right and see another one in either direction....and they all do great business!

The students in the dining hall at Harvard stood and applauded the kitchen staff for ignoring the safety shut down by showing to work and keeping the dining hall open.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          And of course, I heard some reports that while businesses across Watertown are closed, the 4 DDs in Watertown stayed open....and 1st Responders are getting coffee for free.

To understand what DD means to Hew Englanders in general and Bostonians in particular....combine Starbucks and Tim Hortons.....THATs Dunkin' Donuts in the Boston psyche. I have actually stood in from of a DD and could look left and right and see another one in either direction....and they all do great business!
          That's awesome. 5 Dunkin's within 5 minutes walk of my school, and 5 within 5 minutes of my house. Ridiculous. But convenient.
          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan m View Post
            Eerie Photos Of Boston Looking Like A Ghost Town - Business Insider

These are some interesting pictures. I've never seen the city like it before.
            Like the movie "On the Beach"

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
              That's awesome. 5 Dunkin's within 5 minutes walk of my school, and 5 within 5 minutes of my house. Ridiculous. But convenient.
              Do you have any idea the horror, the thought of that kind of population density puts in my chest? Nothing but assholes, elbows, concrete and masonry....

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                Do you have any idea the horror, the thought of that kind of population density puts in my chest? Nothing but assholes, elbows, concrete and masonry....
                I do indeed. I'm used to my nearest neighbor being half a mile away. But I've adapted, sorta. Not sure how long before it drives me crazy.

I like some of the masonry though. Nice old architecture. And the concrete too. Infrastructure is cool.
                Last edited by ArmchairGeneral; 19 Apr 13,, 20:47.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  Excuse me, Z. Those aren't assholes....they are Massholes! An entirely different breed!

Speaking of which............both the Bruins and Sox games are postponed!!!!

Piss me off!!!
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• How much longer will the city be locked down for? I hope everything is up and running by tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan m View Post
                      How much longer will the city be locked down for? I hope everything is up and running by tomorrow.
                      Better be. I got experiments to run and a garden to dig. Though someone was outside trimming their lawn earlier...but I don't want to get arrested.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                        Kinda makes me wish I lived on a main thoroughfare. Not as noticeable on the backstreets (even though our street seems like a major avenue sometimes...), and I don't want to get arrested for wandering around the streets...
                        They can do that? Glad your ok BTW...
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                          They can do that? Glad your ok BTW...
                          Not sure...keep hearing the police talking about suspicious looking people in various parts of the city, and the main criterion right now seems to be that they're outside. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            combine Starbucks and Tim Hortons
                            No. No no no no no.

Dunkin' Donuts is good though. They even have em in Lebanon, Thailand and Malaysia. A godsend when you are on the road.

Comment

• isn't it the goal of terrorists, to terrorise?? well they won, entire boston and suburbs, are scared shitless in their own homes, and afraid to go outside. now the bad guys know how to shut entire city down. and that is a bad messsage to send out.
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by omon View Post
                                isn't it the goal of terrorists, to terrorise?? well they won, entire boston and suburbs, are scared shitless in their own homes, and afraid to go outside. now the bad guys know how to shut entire city down. and that is a bad messsage to send out.
                                Yep. No matter how dangerous this guy is, he and his brother have been on the loose for two days without needing to shut the city down.
                                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                                X