IPL season 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
    IPL is the cricket equivalent of fast food.
    I just cant bring myself to care about any of these overpaid teams and their corrupt owners.
    Am not watching it.
    That's what I said back in '08, but it finally pulled me in. Hate it or love it, this is the future of cricket. No one can afford to follow a 5 day long match these days. The last international Test series was played in nearly empty stadiums. I think the traditionalists are apprehensive of T20 cricket because they fear it will kill the oldest format of the game. But T20 popularity is through the roof so if you can't swim against the current, go with the flow. ;)
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
      That's what I said back in '08, but it finally pulled me in. Hate it or love it, this is the future of cricket. No one can afford to follow a 5 day long match these days. The last international Test series was played in nearly empty stadiums. I think the traditionalists are apprehensive of T20 cricket because they fear it will kill the oldest format of the game. But T20 popularity is through the roof so if you can't swim against the current, go with the flow. ;)
      Actually back in 2008 it seemed like an interesting novelty to me and was fun too.
      But later it just became boring, there was no deeper beauty to it nor any loyalty factor.
      I instinctively support bowlers and the combination of field restrictions, short boundaries, extra fast outfields and bouncer limitation just irritates me.
      Most of these IPL big hitters would be easily taken apart in a test match.

I am no rabid cricket fan and point taken I too cannot spare 5 days for a game.
      But...at the same time test cricket at its finest has a sort of smooth flowing elegance and beauty that 20/20 cannot match.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
        Funny you bring it up

It's all that gentleman's game BS. It's good in a way, I can't imagine the riots if India and Pakistan squared off in rugby or soccer.
        Cricket is offiially a sissy sport. Big man who talks the talk but cries because he can't get a hug from mommy (hot momma as she was)?

Multiple game suspension for a slap? I would have decked him for that and gotten my suspensions worth.

Comment

IPL =/= T20. T20 is a breath of fresh air, a quick game which requires the development of new strategies. I love T20 internationals. But IPL literally drips sleaze and tackiness. The game is drowned out by bad commentary, CHEER...blessing...LEADERS, ad placements and fireworks. I have the same hatred for the big bash league, carribean t20s and whatever version the saffers play. For BPL and SLPL I only have pity.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            Cricket is offiially a sissy sport. Big man who talks the talk but cries because he can't get a hug from mommy (hot momma as she was)?

Multiple game suspension for a slap? I would have decked him for that and gotten my suspensions worth.
            The slappee is famous for being a drama queen, on and off the field. His only saving grace is that he's good at the game. A lot of us fans were happy that he got slapped back to his senses.

Comment

IPL =/= T20. T20 is a breath of fresh air, a quick game which requires the development of new strategies. I love T20 internationals. But IPL literally drips sleaze and tackiness. The game is drowned out by bad commentary, CHEER...blessing...LEADERS, ad placements and fireworks. I have the same hatred for the big bash league, carribean t20s and whatever version the saffers play. For BPL and SLPL I only have pity.
              I think it's just baseless, blind hate. The men who do the commentary for the IPL are the same men who do the commentary in international matches. ;) Ian Bishop, Danny Morison, Dominic Cork, Ravi Shastri, Harsha Bhogle, Jeremy Coney, to name a few.. You hate the cheerleaders? Why? Ad Placements? You mean the commercial breaks in-between overs? Same thing happens in international matches.. Blind hatred man, completely blind hatred!

Oh, and as for development of the game, half the youngsters which are finding their way onto the Indian national side today would not be doing so without the IPL. Hell, Shikhar Dhawan would not be on the national side, scoring the fastest Test century on debut in cricketing history, blasting away Australia in the recent Test series if it wasn't for the IPL! Ravindra Jadeja too is IPL's million dollar child!
              Last edited by Tronic; 11 Apr 13,, 18:56.

Comment

How often do you get called an asshole?
                Often enough. Why just this morning a lady flipped me off and screamed, "Asshole!" when i gave her a big honk when she tried to cut me off and I didn't let her cut me off and she had to swerve back into her lane.

Comment

I think it's just baseless, blind hate. The men who do the commentary for the IPL are the same men who do the commentary in international matches. ;) Ian Bishop, Danny Morison, Dominic Cork, Ravi Shastri, Harsha Bhogle, Jeremy Coney, to name a few.. You hate the cheerleaders? Why? Ad Placements? You mean the commercial breaks in-between overs? Same thing happens in international matches.. Blind hatred man, completely blind hatred!
                  You hate Ravi Shastri just as much as I do, come on, admit it He is only worse in IPL because he has to call it a "DYKIN Cool Shot of the Day" or whatever.
                  Cheerleaders, even the hottest, add nothing to the game. If I wanted to see hot chicks swaying their assets, I would choose... other entertainment. As I said earlier, ad placements are in the commentary, on the field, on the uniform (seriously, Lux Cozi sponsoring a team?), between overs, at the presentation ceremony... should I go on? This doesn't happen in international matches. If you watch SkySports streams, you get almost no ads.

Oh, and as for development of the game, half the youngsters which are finding their way onto the Indian national side today would not be doing so without the IPL. Hell, Shikhar Dhawan would not be on the national side, scoring the fastest Test century on debut in cricketing history, blasting away Australia in the recent Test series if it wasn't for the IPL! Ravindra Jadeja too is IPL's million dollar child!
                  Not true, even to this day. The only international player to emerge out of the IPL is Ashwin. Dhawan and Jadeja came into the Indian team the correct way - through first class cricket. Sir Jadeja scored a triple century in first class recently, and then went on to perform brilliantly against Australia.

Comment

You hate Ravi Shastri just as much as I do, come on, admit it
                    Yes, I don't like Ravi Shashtri, but point still being, IPL is only a part time job for him, he's still an international commentator.

He is only worse in IPL because he has to call it a "DYKIN Cool Shot of the Day" or whatever. Cheerleaders, even the hottest, add nothing to the game. If I wanted to see hot chicks swaying their assets, I would choose... other entertainment. As I said earlier, ad placements are in the commentary, on the field, on the uniform (seriously, Lux Cozi sponsoring a team?), between overs, at the presentation ceremony... should I go on? This doesn't happen in international matches. If you watch SkySports streams, you get almost no ads.
                    Never heard of a "cool shot of the day", but those things exist in international matches as well. If you're not noticing it, it's only because it is truly insignificant and you are able to ignore it, but you see those things in the IPL because you are specifically looking out for them. I've never seen Lux Cozi on any uniform, but that said, here are some international uniforms for you;

Corporate sponsorship is part of every single sport today. Heck, in international cricket, the man of the matches don't only walk away with a trophy, but get corporate sponsored prizes like this:

So, you can't give me the reason that IPL is bad because they have corporate sponsorship. International cricket is not that much different! Poor excuse!

Not true, even to this day. The only international player to emerge out of the IPL is Ashwin. Dhawan and Jadeja came into the Indian team the correct way - through first class cricket. Sir Jadeja scored a triple century in first class recently, and then went on to perform brilliantly against Australia.
                    My point was about the development of these players. Jadeja was hounded out by all Indians when he was selected for the national side. The IPL showed faith in the man, and gave him exposure to world class opponents and cricket. The result is what you saw in the previous India-Australia series. Confident youngsters attacking and leading from the front. Dhawan and Jadeja attacked from the moment go, because they had already been significantly exposed to that level of play. It is exposure and confidence gained through the IPL which sped up the development of these players, something their very limited time in international cricket could not do.

Here's an interesting article on the rise of the league:

There is no denying that the Indian Premier League is a survivor

The sixth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) will be underway soon. There will be song, dance and fireworks. And there will be cricket. Fun, watchable cricket in small doses that even the non-fanatic will queue up to see. After years of staying clear of the stadiums as a matter of principle (this just wasn’t cricket, was it?), I might be buying my first IPL game ticket too.

For many who have followed and enjoyed Test cricket, it is like a ‘coming out’ moment, admitting to appreciating the IPL. While I had no such compunction, I had other reservations, a larger problem with the concept of T20 itself. The fear of the shortened version taking over the world is a common one among passionate Test cricket lovers. Add to that the dancing girls and the glitter of gold and I was a shoo-out for the tournament.

But while not much has changed and the image of the IPL continues to be that of a fat cat licking its well-manicured paws, I’ve started to see it differently. Sure, it is well-fed but it is also scrappy, a quality often ignored but one that has earned the event its place in the cricket calendar.

Here’s the thing. The IPL has long been projected, particularly in the English and Australian media, as evil. A creature that sucks all propriety out of the game even as it maintains a façade of nourishing players’ time-sensitive earnings. It needed no sympathy.

I’ve been a long-time cynic too. A fan of the classic version of the game, I found the commercial overtones of this format crass and not in consonance with my idea of the sport. I agreed with the purists as they slammed the BCCI for creating the monster that would eventually destroy cricket and all that the gentleman’s game stood for. With so much noise being made against it and the men who ran the show, it was pretty easy to hate the IPL.

Six years on, it is pretty difficult to not admire it.

I’m only giving the devil its due. You cannot overlook the sharp survivor skills displayed by the league in the face of a rollercoaster ride that outsiders were convinced, and some hopeful, would end in irreparable disrepute.

Each edition has come with its own parcel of problems. Countries withholding permission for player participation, Lalit Modi, serious national security concerns, Lalit Modi, high-profile corruption charges, Lalit Modi and, now, the Chennai-Sri Lanka tangle. It has also suffered from nightmarish PR as other cricket boards, unable to swallow the grandeur of a third-world success, continued to create roadblocks. But whether it was in the right note the first edition set or the high-profile private sector interest in the continued success of the league, it hardly even stumbled, let alone tripped.

The world, including India, is united in its criticism of the BCCI but even its shenanigans can’t seem to unravel the IPL.

It has found ratification in the copy-cat leagues mushrooming across the cricket playing nations. It has found cause to be smug as international players fought for their right to play the IPL. It has served a purpose in unearthing domestic talent – players like Ravindra Jadeja – who are now claiming their place in the Test team. And finally, for people like me, it has proven to be mostly about the cricket.

But the nature of the beast is such that it can never please all nor can it stop blundering.

As such, it will continue to face pointed criticism and barbs but they are just words that barely prick the thick hide the IPL has developed. There will also be scandals but that is now par for the course. The skeptics aren’t going anywhere either. But there can never be self-doubt. It has survived too much and come too far for that.

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/ipl/...or-681684.html
                    Last edited by Tronic; 12 Apr 13,, 01:08.

Comment

Yes, I don't like Ravi Shashtri, but point still being, IPL is only a part time job for him, he's still an international commentator.

Never heard of a "cool shot of the day", but those things exist in international matches as well. If you're not noticing it, it's only because it is truly insignificant and you are able to ignore it, but you see those things in the IPL because you are specifically looking out for them. I've never seen Lux Cozi on any uniform, but that said, here are some international uniforms for you;

Corporate sponsorship is part of every single sport today. Heck, in international cricket, the man of the matches don't only walk away with a trophy, but get corporate sponsored prizes like this:

So, you can't give me the reason that IPL is bad because they have corporate sponsorship. International cricket is not that much different! Poor excuse!
                      I've never claimed there is no corporate advertising in interntational matches, but the magnitude of it in the IPL is simply obscene. It assaults the senses and sucks the fun out of the match. I don't like ads in internationals either, but I can understand the reason for their presence. IPL is a cricket version of NBA, NFL and NHL, down to the last detail - cheerleaders. If you've ever been to a Raptors game at the ACC, you'll know what I'm talking about.

My point was about the development of these players. Jadeja was hounded out by all Indians when he was selected for the national side. The IPL showed faith in the man, and gave him exposure to world class opponents and cricket. The result is what you saw in the previous India-Australia series. Confident youngsters attacking and leading from the front. Dhawan and Jadeja attacked from the moment go, because they had already been significantly exposed to that level of play. It is exposure and confidence gained through the IPL which sped up the development of these players, something their very limited time in international cricket could not do.

Here's an interesting article on the rise of the league:
                      Jadeja was rightfully hounded for sucking at the game. He went back to first class cricket, rectified his mistakes and returned a new man. It wasn't IPL's faith that kept him going, it was Dhoni's. If attacking from the moment go is what you're looking for, the nawab of Najafgarh did it before IPL was a glimmer in that scumbag Modi's eye.

As for the article, I agree that IPL has survived thus far, but only on the account of the money BCCI sits on and cash cow that keeps giving (the Indian janata). Don't for a moment assume that corruption and mismanagement aren't a part of the IPL.

Comment

I've never claimed there is no corporate advertising in interntational matches, but the magnitude of it in the IPL is simply obscene. It assaults the senses and sucks the fun out of the match. I don't like ads in internationals either, but I can understand the reason for their presence. IPL is a cricket version of NBA, NFL and NHL, down to the last detail - cheerleaders. If you've ever been to a Raptors game at the ACC, you'll know what I'm talking about.
                        I don't find anything wrong with NBA, NHL or NFL. And yes, I've been to a Raps game at the ACC, and it's pure entertainment. Maybe I prefer the IPL because I'm so used to watching North American league sports, that I don't see anything wrong with it.

Jadeja was rightfully hounded for sucking at the game. He went back to first class cricket, rectified his mistakes and returned a new man. It wasn't IPL's faith that kept him going, it was Dhoni's.
                        That's debatable, as everyone has their own perspective. I'm sure if I was handed a $2 million contract in a domestic league, my confidence would shoot through the roof, and the pressure to make the national side would drop tremendously. Heck, playing alongside world class players in the IPL would also teach me a lot of things Ranji cricket couldn't. It's our own perspective at looking at things.

If attacking from the moment go is what you're looking for, the nawab of Najafgarh did it before IPL was a glimmer in that scumbag Modi's eye.
                        Sehwag was a rare exception.

As for the article, I agree that IPL has survived thus far, but only on the account of the money BCCI sits on and cash cow that keeps giving (the Indian janata). Don't for a moment assume that corruption and mismanagement aren't a part of the IPL.
                        IPL survives solely because of the people's demand. When media companies pay a staggering $1.6 billion just for broadcasting rights, it goes a long way in showing the demand for the league.

Comment

I don't find anything wrong with NBA, NHL or NFL. And yes, I've been to a Raps game at the ACC, and it's pure entertainment. Maybe I prefer the IPL because I'm so used to watching North American league sports, that I don't see anything wrong with it.
                          That might be it. While I like watching NBA for the basketball, I really hate the extraneous crap around it. Never bothered watching NFL and NHL long enough to form an opinion, but Super Bowl is enough of an indication - people watch it for the shows surrounding it rather than the sport itself.

That's debatable, as everyone has their own perspective. I'm sure if I was handed a $2 million contract in a domestic league, my confidence would shoot through the roof, and the pressure to make the national side would drop tremendously. Heck, playing alongside world class players in the IPL would also teach me a lot of things Ranji cricket couldn't. It's our own perspective at looking at things.
                          I grant you that IPL does offer the chance of playing alongside international players, something no other tournament in India offers. But big moolah contracts in IPL are not directly indicative of the player's skill - Vinay Kumar being the best example. RVK also has a large contract and yet has to make a comeback into the national side (I hope he doesn't, he sucks).

Sehwag was a rare exception.
                          Not really. The greatest generation since 1983, Dhoni, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Harbhajan, all were playing at a national level, and were all playing aggressively, well before IPL.

IPL survives solely because of the people's demand. When media companies pay a staggering $1.6 billion just for broadcasting rights, it goes a long way in showing the demand for the league.
                          The demand and the marketing gimmicks form a vicious cycle, reinforcing each other. I only hope the viewing Janata grow tired of it someday. Apparently hockey's back on TV.

Comment

NHL got cheerleaders? Since when?

Comment

I'll be darned. It's been that long since I went to a hockey game ... sober that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                                NHL got cheerleaders? Since when?
                                You're telling me the Leafs aren't women?

Comment

Working...
                                X