An unusual request for help....USS Missouri research question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
    I thought it was the Jersey that had the Douglas Fir. I remember dumpsters just full of wood decking
    Both were mixed bags of installation materials and techniques.

When NJ was reactivated in 1968, Philly put down Douglas Fir capped with 1/2" thick teak at least in the area of Turret III. I have a couple of samples of that in my trophy cabinet. Other areas were probably original teak from the end of the Korean War.

We boo-booed when we replaced the decking in 1982. I argued with the design section in charge of it that Douglas Fir was wrong. The Engineer in that section insisted it was correct as that was the kind of wood decking on the Aircraft Carrier he served on. Of course you use cheap and quickly replacable Fir on Carriers when planes don't land quite right or it is chopped up by enemy weapons.

The Official BUSHIPS drawings call for Douglas Fir on Carriers and Teak on Battleships and Heavy Cruisers. The original drawings were faded and torn but I salvaged and taped them together to make a set of whole copies for myself. Then I drew them all over again on my computer. When the Missouri Memorial Assn wanted to have a copy of plans to install teak, NAVSEA couldn't find one anymore. So NAVSEA contacted me and I was able to send them my computer drawings that were not only accurate line for line but I also upgraded the material lists to the modern stock numbers, etc.

I don't have time right now to go through the steps to upload a set of the drawings right now. But when NJ came back from Lebanon she was again re-decked but with teak this time. The Missouri also was done with teak --- mostly ---- but some areas used Douglas Fir because the importer up near Portland, Oregon rand out of Burmese Teak.

Though to this day I still get arguements from people that Douglas Fir is just as good. Well, those plans I drew also list what other types of wood can be used based upon their hardness scales and low water absorbtion rate. Burmese Teak, Plantation Teak and Black Locust are the only types to use on a Battleship or Cruiser.

So, if you are the material procurement supervisor of a ship that is supposed to use Teak and want to save money by buying Douglas Fir, go ahead. Your local lumber yard will appreciate your business when you have to replace it every 3 to 5 years.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

hi rusty
      found one article talking about listing on the Missouri in it states the decking was replaced in the 50's with teak over fir.
      that teak at my uncles was behind a small shed. ill see if I can find the address.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        If the decking was installed in accordance with the BUSHIPS TYPE drawings of the time, the upper half of the sides would be tapered to accept caulking. So that part is correct. The 01 level decking was 2" thick. After installation the plans call for smoothing the deck out with powered hand planers that would take at least 1/16" thickness off. Holey stoning and sanding the paint off before the ceremony could easily take 1/16" thickness off. So the 1 7/8" thickness would be historically correct.

It's just the high polish of the brass plate that throws me off. It looks too new.

In any case, it is a beautiful artifact and you should be very pleased to have it and proudly display it in your home.

As with ytlas, I also have some rivets from the NJ, some souvenir hand-out pieces of teak from both NJ and Mo. I also have some pieces of Balsa wood impregnated with a 50-50 mix of pine tar and pitch that were inside the bilge keels when we did hull repairs on NJ in 1987. But as far as anybody else would know, they are just some chunks of burnt wood I took out of my fireplace.

I don't care. I know where they came from. After I'm gone, my heirs can toss them in the recycling bin --- unless one of you guys want them.
        *Would very much like to have a piece if thats still possible. Thank You
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          *Would very much like to have a piece if thats still possible. Thank You
          Hey Dread, I might be able to contribute some wads of asbestos from the BB's, but you'll have to wait until I'm cremated....

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
            Hey Dread, I might be able to contribute some wads of asbestos from the BB's, but you'll have to wait until I'm cremated....
            Nah Salty, Ill just chop off your pegleg and use that as a base for the model.;)
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              Nah Salty, Ill just chop off your pegleg and use that as a base for the model.;)
              Reminds me of a story...... Unfortunately I don't remember if I've posted it before or twice or three times....

We used to post on Warships1 and there was this former Marine, staunch BB supporter. I used to be able to get under his skin, but all in fun. He died of a heart attack in early 2005 and his wife wrote me that they brought his Missouri model to his funeral. I don't know if they buried the model with him, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Working...
              X