No announcement yet.

"unlocked" iPhone or other smart phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So unlocked doesn't mean jack to me since AT&T is already my provider. I simply need to find an inexpensive phone, I guess, move the SIM card, and not tell my provider. If I buy a new smart phone, I was told I'd have to have a data plan
    Chogy, you might want to study up on that.

Last I heard only ATT will automatically include a data plan if they sense their sim cards are used in a smart phone. All kinds of stories about how people had to call ATT and fight regarding that issue.

That's why I said earlier that it's not a good idea if your carrier is ATT...

Comment

I personally use a Samsung Galaxy Note 2; I have to say it is just simply a good phone. It blows Iphone away, Android simply gives you much more option, I can bluetooth with anything and everything I want, not something Iphone does or even allows. I can expand my memory from just 16GB to 48GB with just a $10 chip, If the battery gets old, I can just swap for a new one.

In India we dont have the option of a plan, where you get a subsidized phone from the network provider but I am jailed to his network.

I suggest you buy a Samsung Galaxy Duo S, it is affordable and yet has all the features.
      If you have some more money to throw, then definitely buy the Galaxy Note 2 LTE or Sony Xperia ZL
      If you want something a bit more smaller than a 5 inch screen, Samsung Galaxy S3 or Xperia Ion

Please dont buy an Apple or Windows phone, one is simply overpriced crap, the other needs some more time to get enough apps and market exposure

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
        Chogy, you might want to study up on that.

Last I heard only ATT will automatically include a data plan if they sense their sim cards are used in a smart phone. All kinds of stories about how people had to call ATT and fight regarding that issue.

That's why I said earlier that it's not a good idea if your carrier is ATT...
        You can always just switch off mobile data on a smartphone, on an android, you pull down unclick the mobile data.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          And here's me thinking you'd want it for the compass and GPS while you were flying.... ;)
          Last year, we finally replaced paper in the cockpit and went digital. We had no choice in the matter re: tablets, as only the iPad was FAA approved.

The iPad replaced about 4 thick manuals, but most importantly, replaced 4 thick volumes of Jeppeson approach charts. Total weight saved is approximately 40 pounds, and best of all, I don't have to spend hours updating my Jepps due to twice-monthly updates.

Thousands of pages of these... and this pic is, in fact, from the iPad app called Jeppeson TC:

Attached Files

Comment

Wait, if you guys are allowed to use iPads during approach, why aren't we allowed to?
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Because if you're a mod on WAB, You get special privileges.

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon5 View Post
                You can always just switch off mobile data on a smartphone, on an android, you pull down unclick the mobile data.
                Doesn't mean they won't still charge you for the data.

Comment

I have a galaxy note 1, my wife has a HTC desire and my sis has a iphone 5.
                  Out of the 3 the note is the least restrictive and most powerful.

Never buy iOs and Apple's walled garden. Android especially after the latest Jelly Bean Os is much better.
                  For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

I liked Iphone. I tried the Android in HTC thunderbolt and I got fed up with it after a week and went back to iPhone. It is so much user friendly and saves me time and hassle in getting what I want. Apple makes sure that the iOS is tailored to the phone. With Android, bunch of companies just slap the Android software on and make it work but not fulling getting the functionality and seamless operation that iPhone had.

I have a busy schedule and I do not need my smartphone giving me hassles. It gives me what I want or need at that second, not a second later or a button or a couple buttons later.

The ergonomic design of the iOS in iPhone is vastly superior to the Android. As for the apps, i would rather take 50,000 apps of iPhone than the gazillion apps of Android any day any time. I don't need to waste my time sorting out the crap from the semi crap and then find the real good ones. The reason why Apple is so restrictive with Apps is because they keep the crap out and prevent the users from wasting their valuable times in using the apps and saving their money. When I get an app on Iphone, I know it is not gonna be crappy or buggy or makes my phone go kaput or slows it down thus preventing hours of ire and venting of frustration and plotting of a slow death to the creators of those crappy apps who dare to waste my time and money. Android doesn't do that. It is a wide open door.

Furthermore, when you have 50,000 apps or 2 million apps, you are not gonna have time to go through them all and test them. You just want to get the ones you need and that works well with your phone and that's where Apple shines big time over Android. Not many people get that. Apple respects the fact that your time is the most valuable commodity and spares no expense to make sure that you use minimal time to get what you want or need and nothing more. Simplicity is Apple's motto and if that is not good enough for you, then Apple products are not for you. I have a computer engineering background and back then I was a student and had all the time in the world and now I am a husband and a working man and my time is the most valuable resource in the world so I don't have time to go through the software and explore. I just want to get something and get it working so i can complete the tasks that i was paid to do and make some money and devote my time for something else than fiddling around the phone any second longer. Iphone does that for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                      Wait, if you guys are allowed to use iPads during approach, why aren't we allowed to?
                      Simple - because we follow the rules and actually have the iPads set to the "flight" position ;) , WiFi off and the iPads we were issued are incapable of cellular data exchange. The reality is that flight attendants have no way of knowing if passengers are using wireless, and aren't about to check each device.

Besides, it's an FAA rule, not an airline rule. People need to beef to the FAA rather than the poor flight attendants.

Interference with airplane systems is not only possible, I have seen it first hand. It's not bogus.

Comment

Chogy,

I have seen few airlines offering inflight mobile calls. IIRC Virgin was first and was followed by United and (maybe) others.

Have they worked out a way to lower interference to acceptable levels or just accept the risk?
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...eport-2013.pdf

Not really related, but very interesting market research.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            Chogy,

I have seen few airlines offering inflight mobile calls. IIRC Virgin was first and was followed by United and (maybe) others.

Have they worked out a way to lower interference to acceptable levels or just accept the risk?
                            It boils down to what is acceptable to the FAA and international aviation organizations. To get approval for a device that emits RF energy requires a boat-load of testing; is time consuming and very expensive. For example, they'd have to test a specific phone in various seats, during differing periods of the flight, and any approval would still apply only to the exact combination of aircraft and device.

We all know that 99.999% of it is B.S., but that 0.001% has potential to be disastrous. I once saw a false glide slope indication on an approach that I am convinced was due to RF interference from a cell phone. Aircraft instruments are designed to either work perfectly, or display an OFF flag. In this case, we had a false glide slope that tried to steer us into the dirt. The timing of the event was perfect - flight attendants are seated, we are about to land, and I am convinced someone snuck out a phone to call for a pickup or similar.

In 30 years of flying an ILS, I have seen many glide slopes fail to OFF, but only one that tried to kill us. RF interference was the only logical conclusion.

The iPad was extensively tested, including operation in an altitude chamber simulating explosive decompression and the like. And it's still required to be not transmitting below 10,000'.

Comment

Working...
                            X