War on the Korean Peninsula: Present-day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    I have two questions about the scenario as originally posited...

1. US BCTs on standby in Japan. What US BCTs? None are stationed there. What kind are you talking about....Stryker? Not likely to stage out of Japan. Of more import is have the afloat prepo ships from Guam and Diego Garcia made their way forward....that's where the heavy metal is.

2. Forces on full alert does not equate to fully mobilized. Do the ROKs call up their entire reserves and have them ready? Has the US moved Army assigned units into theater?

If 2 then its what the Colonel says....unless the regime is totally suicidal.
    1. One Stryker and One Armored BCT stationed within deployable range, I was drawing a blank as to where they'd be deployed from so my first thoughts were from Japan. But on second thoughts someplace like Diego Garcia or Guam makes more sense.

2. Active USFK and SK forces stationed at or near the border are fully deployed but the SK reserves are still in the process of ramping up to full deployment (say 50% are combat-ready).

Off Topic: Who is that girl? :confu:
    "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
      Off Topic: Who is that girl? :confu:
      You mean THIS one?

"There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
        You mean THIS one?

[ATTACH]32312[/ATTACH]
        No, the less attractive one

Comment

This is what you get when you feed women corn Australia :)

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
          Every time I try to say something bad about Australia.....I can't bring myself to do it because you guys got hot chicks like this.....

[ATTACH]32310[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]32311[/ATTACH]

Comment

This is what you get when you feed women corn in New Zealand :)

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
            Every time I want to say something bad about NZ, I can't bring myself to do it...because you guys think this is a hot chick....

[ATTACH]32312[/ATTACH]

Comment

Unfortunately, if you feed North Korean women corn you will need a mop :)

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                If 2 then its what the Colonel says....unless the regime is totally suicidal.
                They may be.Not by design,but by idiocy.The porky Kim is in his 20's.The generals that hold his hands look like they're going to the grave very soon.So Porky will be left with utter retards and sicophants.Porky,very likely,has no idea what's going on the world,nor in his own country.He looks like he lived in the ivory tower all his life.He also seems to enjoy it and I very much doubt he even scratched his hand in a tae-kwon-do training.A very dangerous mix for himself and his cronies.
                Those who know don't speak
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Assuming China cuts off fuel and food shipments to the NORKs upon a strike on South Korea, what's the estimate as to how long the NORKs would be able to conduct operations?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    Won't come to that. As soon as Kim starts preparing for war with no stopping in sight, the Chinese stops all fuel and food shipments and the NORKs would turn on its own as a matter of survival. Families would be fighting for heating fuel rather than let it goto the tanks and planes.

It is VERY EASY to collapse NK without firing a single shot and everybody knows it.
                    Are there any stockpiling? I am more concerned about the NK's artillery barrages. It could inflict heavy damage on South Korean industries. Many of SK's industries are within 50 km of the DMZ. SK does not have to worry about refugees. After all the DMZ would take care of the refugees.

Comment

Assuming China cuts off fuel and food shipments to the NORKs upon a strike on South Korea, what's the estimate as to how long the NORKs would be able to conduct operations?
                      Conventional?

Or can we assume the North Koreans have conducted some "lessons learned" sessions and are prepared for prolonged guerrilla combat?

All I know is don't underestimate the Koreans on either side. They are a tough people.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                        Are there any stockpiling?
                        You tell me.

I am more concerned about the NK's artillery barrages. It could inflict heavy damage on South Korean industries. Many of SK's industries are within 50 km of the DMZ.
                        Maybe at most a couple of days of shelling before their guns would be driven out of range or destroyed. As soon as the war starts, the artillery positions would be attacked and infantry assaults would begin immediately.

Yes. That's right. South Korean infantry assaults north.

SK does not have to worry about refugees. After all the DMZ would take care of the refugees.
                        Unless the South is willing to machine gun refugees, the DMZ is not going to stop them. There are foot paths, all covered by machine gun nests, that South Korean troops use to patrol the DMZ.

Comment

You tell me.

Maybe at most a couple of days of shelling before their guns would be driven out of range or destroyed. As soon as the war starts, the artillery positions would be attacked and infantry assaults would begin immediately.

Yes. That's right. South Korean infantry assaults north.

Unless the South is willing to machine gun refugees, the DMZ is not going to stop them. There are foot paths, all covered by machine gun nests, that South Korean troops use to patrol the DMZ.
                          That night-time satellite photo says it all; tell me which country has the resources (and the backing of friendly nations) to sustain a war for more than a few days.
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by DPrime View Post
                            Conventional?

Or can we assume the North Koreans have conducted some "lessons learned" sessions and are prepared for prolonged guerrilla combat?

All I know is don't underestimate the Koreans on either side. They are a tough people.
                            That was my main concern: the potential for a drawn out unconventional campaign. The NORKs are nothing if not extremely fanatic.

Comment

That was my main concern: the potential for a drawn out unconventional campaign. The NORKs are nothing if not extremely fanatic.
                              You're assuming complete devotion to Kim when in fact the North Korean army has been racked by mutinies and entire divisional staffs have been shot.

Comment

You're assuming complete devotion to Kim when in fact the North Korean army has been racked by mutinies and entire divisional staffs have been shot.
                                That is a good point sir. Little Kim (and I use that term lightly) hasn't exactly been the figure of inspiration since he took power. But surely there'd be some form of opposition against North Korea being assimilated by the capitalist dogs of the South or becoming the newest province of the People's Republic?

Comment

Working...
                                X