Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higgins Armory Museum to close

For those in the New England area who enjoy medieval arms and armor:
    Higgins Armory Museum to close after 82 years - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

It was a hidden gem known to those of us living in the area, went there as a child, brought my own kids as an adult. Next month I will be going with my 2 youngest kids and the rest of their Cub Scout pack on an overnight trip- one of the last the old building will see.

Went on many a school field trips to this museum...sad.

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
    For those in the New England area who enjoy medieval arms and armor:
    Higgins Armory Museum to close after 82 years - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

It was a hidden gem known to those of us living in the area, went there as a child, brought my own kids as an adult. Next month I will be going with my 2 youngest kids and the rest of their Cub Scout pack on an overnight trip- one of the last the old building will see.

Comment

Always amazing to look at a suit or item that is almost a thousand years old and see the workmanship that went into it. It's easy to always think of people in the past as being "primitive" and everything made of crude materials but they were capable of making surprisingly sophisticated objects.

Comment

I have a question.

What will happen with the exhibits?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Yes. I remember a teacher making the claim all of the suits were replicas and the tour guide telling her that in fact everything was original. I went back on a regular basis just to view the armor after seeing the movie "Excaliber". The last time I went was just before I moved to Alabama. I got permission to touch suit. It was smooth as glass and beautiful. The guide looked at me and told me I should apply to work their. She told me I had that look the historians had when they came in their to do presentations and TV shows.

Mike Loades is right. The beauty of armor was for the rich and noble.

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
          Always amazing to look at a suit or item that is almost a thousand years old and see the workmanship that went into it. It's easy to always think of people in the past as being "primitive" and everything made of crude materials but they were capable of making surprisingly sophisticated objects.

Comment

Going to Wocester's Art Museum.

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            I have a question.

What will happen with the exhibits?

Comment

The Worcester Art Museum has been waiting to get their hands on this collection since 1978. I'm glad it will stay local, but I doubt the WAM will have the same sort of hands on activities and exhibits that Higgins had. They were geared more towards kids, but it was the sort of thing that would get kids interested before they were old enough to value the artifacts for what they are. The Higgins did have some stuff that were repro's, but they were clearly labeled as such and were produced with the same materials and methods as the originals. There were repro helmets and chain mail that kids could try on.

Comment

Another museum to hit if you are in the area: Museum of World War 2, Boston
                This is a hidden museum in Natick Ma. A bit later than this forum perhaps, but if you are willing to take the trip to see Higgins before it closes, this is worth the side trip. You have to make reservations to see it though. One last "hidden gem" suggestion: The Collings Foundation - Preserving Living Aviation History for Future Generations
                in Stow, Ma. They have an extensive aircraft collection, race cars and other odds and ends. A flying Fiesler Storch, TBM avenger, FM-2 Wildcat,and a lot more. None of the large warbirds though. Twice a year they have a decent WW2 "re-enactment" with allied and German camps and a battle for the airfield.

Comment

Working...
                X