This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parody, the rage at Khe Sanh.

For this famous battle, the North Vietnamese Army fought throughout nearly six months and seized the entire region of Khe Sanh in July 1968.

Just so that you're aware, you only need to post this in one thread. There is no need to create two. Thank you.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

And this says what about what?
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        And this says what about what?
        It described the process of the fall of the combat base of Khe Sanh.

Comment

Originally posted by Wehrmacht View Post
          Hardly. It's actually a crappy political parody.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
            Military, not just political

Comment

Originally posted by Wehrmacht View Post
              ....you do realise that Khe Sanh didn't 'fall'.....don't you? Sorta undermines the central pillar of the 'comedy'.

One of the reasons for the success of the 'Downfall' meme has been its brevity, using the same minute or two of easily watchable film and applying it to a situation so absurdly different that it is funny. In this version (which also has appalling sound) the joke so overstays its welcome that I suspect most folks probably watch less than half of it anyway.

Fail on pretty much every level.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

....you do realise that Khe Sanh didn't 'fall'.....
                I went there on my first visit to Vietnam in Dec. 1999. My tour guide might beg to differ. :)

Comment

Hey, Wehrmacht, Hitler has something to say to you!

(Yes, I know the subtitles are kinda outta whack, I threw this together in under 5 minutes)
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                    Thank you. I was obviously too subtle.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                      I went there on my first visit to Vietnam in Dec. 1999. My tour guide might beg to differ. :)
                      Your guides often are wrong.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                        ....you do realise that Khe Sanh didn't 'fall'.....don't you?
                        To be honest, Khe Sanh was in Communist control since July of 1968, regardless of the US claim as "not fall" or "not being overrun". It was out of US control from that time on.

Comment

Mhm, there is one detail you miss, Americans destroyed the base and withdrew.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121
                            Oh come on, I'm no fan of the US but thats a pretty disingenuous way to put it.
                            The US held on to Keh Sanh in spite of everything the North threw at them.
                            Granted they expended prodigious amounts of munitions doing it. especially the USAF but the fact stands that neither Keh Sanh nor its outposts were taken by enemy assault.
                            The US abandoned it in the wake of the Tet Offensive as a part of the Vietnamisation process. This reflected domestic political realities and not North Vietnamese pressure.
                            1./ Lang Vei, Ban Houie Sane, Khe Sanh village ... were overrun. Aren't they Khe Sanh's outposts ?

2./ March of 1968, Lyndon Johnson gave order to his men to hold Khe Sanh at all costs.

3./ Withdrawal under enemy artillery pressure is a forced abandonment, a defeat clearly .

The Withdrawal from Khe Sanh
                            Communist gunners continued to fire on the Marine positions as the trench lines were filled in and sandbags were emptied.

On July 5, the base was officially closed. Five Marines were killed in fighting near Khe Sanh that day. The final Marine withdrawal was conducted at night and was interrupted for several hours when Communist artillerymen scored a direct hit on a bridge on Route 9. The bridge was finally repaired, allowing the Marines to move down Route 9 to the east.
                            Last edited by Wehrmacht; 09 Mar 13,, 19:21.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121
                              but the fact stands that neither Keh Sanh nor its outposts were taken by enemy assault.
                              Lang Vei, Ban Houie Sane, Khe Sanh village ... were overrun. Aren't they Khe Sanh's outposts ?

Comment

Working...
                              X