Why on Earth do they need these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why on Earth do they need these?

Obama DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks to Go With Their 1.6 Billion Bullet Stockpile | The Gateway Pundit
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

They're not tanks. Using that term is misleading and unfair and we should neither do it nor condone it. They're armored cars at best.

Does that make their purchase by DHS better or worse? I dunno, but we can at least use the correct terminology.

-dale

Comment

There needs to be a public discussion as to why all these things are needed at a time when government is broke. What are they expecting?
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I did some further digging. Looks like they're older vehicles that were used in Iraq and Afghanistan and were probably declared surplus. And I agree they aren't tanks but rather APCs. Yet none of that explains why DHS needs them.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Pro gun lobby said they wont give up their guns without fight, right?
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Our Mission
            Overview

The vision of homeland security is to ensure a homeland that is safe, secure, and resilient against terrorism and other hazards.

Three key concepts form the foundation of our national homeland security strategy designed to achieve this vision:

Security,
            Resilience, and
            Customs and Exchange.
            In turn, these key concepts drive broad areas of activity that the Quadrennial Homeland Security Review (QHSR) process defines as homeland security missions. These missions are enterprise-wide, and not limited to the Department of Homeland Security. These missions and their associated goals and objectives tell us in detail what it means to prevent, to protect, to respond, and to recover, as well as to build in security, to ensure resilience, and to facilitate customs and exchange.

Hundreds of thousands of people from across the federal government, state, local, tribal, and territorial governments, the private sector, and other nongovernmental organizations are responsible for executing these missions. These are the people who regularly interact with the public, who are responsible for public safety and security, who own and operate our nation’s critical infrastructures and services, who perform research and develop technology, and who keep watch, prepare for, and respond to emerging threats and disasters. These homeland security professionals must have a clear sense of what it takes to achieve the overarching vision articulated above.

The Core Missions

There are five homeland security missions:

Prevent terrorism and enhancing security;
            Secure and manage our borders;
            Enforce and administer our immigration laws;
            Safeguard and secure cyberspace;
            Ensure resilience to disasters;
            In addition, we must specifically focus on maturing and strengthening the homeland security enterprise itself.
            In short the DHS is anything it chooses to be. If it wishes to be the largest armed militia outside of the US military it can be by its own definition
            Last edited by Parihaka; 05 Mar 13,, 06:22.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Wait a minute, I got it wrong, they're to help children cross the street

Participating in the Great American Teach In (ICE) | Homeland Security
              Attached Files

Leibniz

Comment

Just joshing it were the marines what bought em governor....

Defense.gov: Contracts for Monday, January 09, 2012

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                  Just joshing it were the marines what bought em governor....

Defense.gov: Contracts for Monday, January 09, 2012
                  Pari,

This is just another story from paranoialand. Alarm bells should have gone off reading the first assertion:

This is getting a little creepy.
                  According to one estimate, since last year the Department of Homeland Security has stockpiled more than 1.6 billion bullets, mainly .40 caliber and 9mm.
                  The 'creepy' thing is how a complete & total fiction about ammunition purchases has so quickly become 'fact'. From there it should come as no great surprise that a purchase of 2700 vehicles by the marines that was approved over a year ago should become the latest 'shock horror Obama plans coup'- style article.

Apparrently Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) is purchasing or has purchased aboot 15-20 of these. With wars drawing down in Iraq & Afghanistan the government is flogging them off at bargain basement prices. I imagine some of them will just look good parked outside an office while others might get used on the southern border. I keep getting told that the US has a high murder rate because of those Mexican drug gangs (yes, I know its complete crap, but lets pretend for a moment), so those folk should be cheering the upgrading of capacity in the border states.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    Pari,

This is just another story from paranoialand. Alarm bells should have gone off reading the first assertion:

The 'creepy' thing is how a complete & total fiction about ammunition purchases has so quickly become 'fact'. From there it should come as no great surprise that a purchase of 2700 vehicles by the marines that was approved over a year ago should become the latest 'shock horror Obama plans coup'- style article.

Apparrently Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) is purchasing or has purchased aboot 15-20 of these. With wars drawing down in Iraq & Afghanistan the government is flogging them off at bargain basement prices. I imagine some of them will just look good parked outside an office while others might get used on the southern border. I keep getting told that the US has a high murder rate because of those Mexican drug gangs (yes, I know its complete crap, but lets pretend for a moment), so those folk should be cheering the upgrading of capacity in the border states.
                    There is no pretend. Most homicides by a gun are because of gangs. Hispanics make up the greatest percentage of gang membership. 15-20 for thousands of miles of borders? yeah that is a real upgrade, nor is it what worries Americans. What does the DHS want with thousands of them?

Survey Results: Gang member demographics, Race/Ethnicity
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                      There is no pretend. Most homicides by a gun are because of gangs. Hispanics make up the greatest percentage of gang membership.
                      Sick of correcting gun nuts who can't read.

15-20 for thousands of miles of borders? yeah that is a real upgrade, nor is it what worries Americans.
                      Take it up with ICE

What does the DHS want with thousands of them?
                      Sick of correcting gun nuts who can't read.

Go back to high school. Learn how read properly. Until then leave me alone.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

wow, you do sound like you really sick. get yourself checked out.
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          Pari,

Sixteen nationwide apparently

Leibniz

Comment

Last fall a nutjob who lived near me had a stand off with the police. He threatened that he would shoot them if they came inside his house. He owned plenty of guns and had been in trouble for making threats, often involving guns, all over town. They had been called by his housemate's employer when she didn't show up for work and they couldn't reach her at home. She had alerted them that she had been threatened by her housemate and they were suspicious he had murdered her.

The police brought in one of those APC's, drove it right up to the house and told the baracaded homeowner that they would drive it into his house and shoot him if he didn't surrender - he surrendered shortly after that. No one was hurt, the missing woman had gone to a friends house in the wee hours early that morning after a late night argument with the guy - she had overslept there and turned up soon after the stand off was resolved.

The APC seemed to serve a useful purpose in that case.
                            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                              Wait a minute, I got it wrong, they're to help children cross the street

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32208[/ATTACH]
                              Participating in the Great American Teach In (ICE) | Homeland Security
                              Yep, just what the kids need: a big, black armored car to help them cross the street!
                              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                              X