X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning pleads guilty to 10 counts

U.S. soldier pleads guilty to misusing classified data in WikiLeaks case
    By Medina Roshan

Feb 28 (Reuters) - The U.S. Army private accused of providing secret documents to the WikiLeaks website pleaded guilty on Thursday to misusing classified material he felt "should become public," but denied the top charge of aiding the enemy. Private First Class Bradley Manning, 25, entered the pleas prior to his court martial, which is set to begin on June 3, in a case that centers on the biggest leak of government secrets in U.S. history. Military judge Colonel Denise Lind accepted the guilty pleas late in the afternoon. Manning pleaded guilty to a series of 10 lesser charges that he misused classified information and faces a maximum of 20 years in prison for those offenses.

Reading from a 35-page statement as he remained seated next to his lawyers, the short, slight private described his feelings after he submitted the secret information to WikiLeaks. "I felt I accomplished something that would allow me to have a clear conscience," said Manning, who spoke under oath for more than an hour. "This was the type of information... should become public," he said.

At the hearing, through his attorney Manning pleaded not guilty to the most serious charge, of aiding the enemy. Manning, who has been jailed at Quantico Marine Base in Virginia for more than 1,000 days, could face life imprisonment if convicted of that charge at his June trial.
    Source: Reuters

I sincerely hope the prosecution presses ahead on the 'aiding and abetting' charge.
    sigpic

"I felt I accomplished something that would allow me to have a clear conscience,"
    Only for it to land with a giant thud of mediocrity at best and political gossip at worst. Nice going kid.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

TH,

Only for it to land with a giant thud of mediocrity at best and political gossip at worst. Nice going kid.
      oh, it's much worse than that.

what he in effect did was to give a bunch of classified material to hostile governments all over the world.

the traditional punishment for this type of treason is execution. this idiot deserves no less.
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        TH,

oh, it's much worse than that.

what he in effect did was to give a bunch of classified material to hostile governments all over the world.

the traditional punishment for this type of treason is execution. this idiot deserves no less.
        Oh there's no question that he could and should be tried for treason. His actions were highly treasonable.
        At best he should be looking at life with the possibility of parole like that other shit-stain Pollard.

I just find it both amusing and satisfying that the information he was so desperate to expose wasn't the massive game-changing expose of the United States as a rapacious evil empire-building monster.

I mean, let's face it: Who is talking about Wikileaks these days? Nobody. Not the MSM, not the blogosphere, not even America's enemies.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Oh there's no question that he could and should be tried for treason. His actions were highly treasonable.
          At best he should be looking at life with the possibility of parole like that other shit-stain Pollard.

I just find it both amusing and satisfying that the information he was so desperate to expose wasn't the massive game-changing expose of the United States as a rapacious evil empire-building monster.

I mean, let's face it: Who is talking about Wikileaks these days? Nobody. Not the MSM, not the blogosphere, not even America's enemies.
          I agree with you on both counts: A) Manning should get the book thrown at him hard, and B) There's no reason at all Pollard should ever be let out early, despite what plenty of religious Israelis think
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

He burned a bunch of our agents, and the full impact will never be fully known by the general public. Most of the effect isn't countable by any method, such as: the unquestioned chilling effect it will have on foreign governments' trust in us to keep what they do on our behalf secret, and potential agents that we might have employed but whose calculus will obviously have to weigh the chance that this kind of thing could bring them down too. Ditto, going the other way: potential Mannings may believe it could all be worth it, should the max penalty be off the table.

Up against the wall, Manning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
              He burned a bunch of our agents, and the full impact will never be fully known by the general public. Most of the effect isn't countable by any method, such as: the unquestioned chilling effect it will have on foreign governments' trust in us to keep what they do on our behalf secret, and potential agents that we might have employed but whose calculus will obviously have to weigh the chance that this kind of thing could bring them down too. Ditto, going the other way: potential Mannings may believe it could all be worth it, should the max penalty be off the table.

What message are they sending if they don' execute this traitor? Oh, you can get away with this... And even live to be paroled a few years down the line, perhaps even retrieve some of the loot you stashed and live like a king some day...

What should happen is a very short life in the hole, a secret courts marshall, followed up with 12 men with rifles crossing his T and blowing holes in his chest with 7.62mm or .0.336 Lapuda and finally a .45 +P FMJ behind the ear. All announced to the press with a brief statement, after the cremation and interment off shore. Throw the ashes into sea, in a greasy cardboard box, with a few broken chunks of metal for weight, along side Bin Laden. Perhaps throwing in some bags of rotting galley garbage and emptying the raw sewage tanks at the burial site for extra contempt. No military honors or religious services rendered.

Perhaps the sailors on the ship could man the rail and all piss in the water as his final salute?
              Last edited by USSWisconsin; 03 Mar 13,, 17:49.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

His biggest disservice to the nation is the asspain he's caused everyone who uses a classified system and can no longer copy to media to move to other locations.

And they shot Slovic for not wanting to get shot at...
                "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post

I'd prefer the end of a rope.
                  "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Comment

Working...
                  X