Iran's new super-secret top weapon, revealed:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dante View Post
    Wasn't there a WW2 Japanese design for a submarine- carrier? Or was it a carrier that could submerge?
    Maybe these guys are on to something and everyone else is not thinking outside the box? It sounds very useful for..a..something..:confu:
    Actually rather a lot of designs for submarine carriers. The Japanese used them most extensively, though usually for recon. One example had a small plane on board in kit form. It was assembled at night when the sub surfaced (there were numbers in luminous paint on the joints), flown for recon missions & then I think landed on or nesr the sub where it was taken down again for later use. One of these planes made at least one flight over parts of Melbourne & then on another flight it went over Auckland in NZ.

The big carrier subs were remarkable things for the time. If japan had been less obsessed wiht flying useless planes off them & more interested in their potential just as subs they might have actually had some use.

Classic 'truth is stranger than fiction' stuff.

Submarine aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      The big carrier subs were remarkable things for the time. If japan had been less obsessed wiht flying useless planes off them & more interested in their potential just as subs they might have actually had some use.
      If they had used them to launch license built V-1s, it would have been interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Worley View Post
        If they had used them to launch license built V-1s, it would have been interesting.
        Subs with missiles? So Americans were 'naive' for waiting another ~10 years?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker View Post
          Why can't we have some whiny Iran supporters in this forum? Jussaskin' :D
          Iranian regime supporters you mean. Whiny or other wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Worley View Post
            Or maybe some Ohka's; they already have a relatively small wingspan, which means it would probably fit in the hanger on an I-400-class submarine.

Attached Files
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
              Or maybe some Ohka's; they already have a relatively small wingspan, which means it would probably fit in the hanger on an I-400-class submarine.

[ATTACH]32755[/ATTACH]
              I recall seeing photos of one of these taken apart, it had a tubular main spar, - so the wings could probably have been removed to stow it on one of those subs.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

C'mon guys, everyone knows that this was in operation back in 1980....

Comment

Here is a Utube clip about Japanese I-400 class secret Submarine aircraft carrier, and its destiny after WW2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-ijBs8iJA

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post

[ATTACH]32755[/ATTACH]
                    Yeah, that, too. Would have been more damaging because the 'guidance system' was better.

I went with the V-1s because they were operational earlier.

Comment

Working...
                    X