Daytona 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
    You're joking, right. At 200 mph and 5/10 of a second look no one can tell those cars apart.
    I'll let you know. I have tickets for the STP 300 (Nationwide Series) in July and the Geico 400 (Sprint Cup) in September.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
      Young people have no trouble telling the difference. I suppose it is time-relevant. A generational thing :)

This picture helped me, thanks, I felt the same way as TBM3FAN. I have a hard time telling the modern stockcars makes apart, I still like the sport, but the distictive shapes of old are gone - the modern cars look very similar to me from a distance or with a quick glance. What we grew up with does set expectations _ when I started on stockcar racing - the cars had very different shapes and were racing versions of production rear wheel drive cars - cars that a person could actually buy at the dealer. These modern Nascar "stockcars"are sort of like the shells of front wheel drive cars converted to rear wheel drive racecars - nothing very stock about them. Production rear wheel drive cars with 355 CID OHV pushrod carburated V8's - where do you buy a new one like that? Toyota's NASCAR powertrains were never sold to the public in street vehicles, none of the others have been sold in production cars for decades either. Nascar racer cars more similar these days than different when compared to those of the past.

I miss the rules that forced the makers to sell the engines and vehicles that were being raced, at least 500 copies to allow them to participate in the races.
      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 26 Feb 13,, 22:44.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I miss the rules that forced the makers to sell the engines and vehicles that were being raced, at least 500 copies to allow them to participate in the races.
        What was said back then was what wins on Sunday sells on Monday.

Also, the drivers of today act more like prima donnas when compared to Cale, Richard, David, Donny, Mario and A.J., etc.
        Last edited by tbm3fan; 27 Feb 13,, 00:07.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
          This picture helped me, thanks, I felt the same way as TBM3FAN. I have a hard time telling the modern stockcars makes apart, I still like the sport, but the distictive shapes of old are gone - the modern cars look very similar to me from a distance or with a quick glance.
          Drivers did not like the aerodynamics and performance of the Car of Tomorrow series (Generation 5). The three underwriters of NASCAR - Chevrolet/Ford/Toyota - wanted the track cars to be more identifiable with showroom models. The solution to both is the Generation 6 cars. The body panels are identical to street cars. The engine (358 cubic-inch V8s) is the same as the CoT, but the new cars are 150 pounds lighter and thus faster. In addition, the aerodynamics are different in a way that will promote pack racing rather than two cars working together in an air pocket. So far, the NASCAR drivers are very happy with the look, the increased speed, and the better track-grab of the new cars.
          sigpic

Comment

Why is Formula 1 not popular in the states? Isn't that proper racing versus going around an oval track 500 times?

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
              Why is Formula 1 not popular in the states? Isn't that proper racing versus going around an oval track 500 times?
              Probably because many Americans consider the sport to be elitist and outside of Phil Hill and Mario Andretti there were no American drivers to get behind. Without some American names, as drivers, the sport would have a hard time making inroads in the U.S. race scene. U.S. soccer is a case in point. I couldn't be bothered to watch a single agonizing minute of it till an American team, be it women or men, actually became a decent team on the world scene.

Comment

Let's not forget the totally boring races and few scandals that surrounded F1 on North American continent.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I persoanlly like WRC. I think that is the ultimate test of the machine and the skill and balls driving it. Same with Dakkar for bikes.

Comment

Yep WRC is really great. Shame there are only reports from the races, no live footage.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

F1 is very weak beer these days.
                      Speed barely at 310ks, boring lookalike herman tilke tracks, very less overtaking (silly gimmicks like last years tyres and DRS make it even worse) are some of the things that turn Americans off about it.
                      It needs to push speeds to 400Ks, reduce the cookie cutter nature of most new tracks and most importantly bring the current Aero Era to an end.
                      Bring back driver control and speed as the primary elements, not who has the whizziest wind tunnel and aerodynamics personnel.

Nascar cars may only go in one direction but the amount of attacking and wheelbanging that goes on in one race is not found in the whole F1 calendar.
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Because you can't put a gunrack in an F1 car.
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                          Drivers did not like the aerodynamics and performance of the Car of Tomorrow series (Generation 5). The three underwriters of NASCAR - Chevrolet/Ford/Toyota - wanted the track cars to be more identifiable with showroom models. The solution to both is the Generation 6 cars. The body panels are identical to street cars. The engine (358 cubic-inch V8s) is the same as the CoT, but the new cars are 150 pounds lighter and thus faster. In addition, the aerodynamics are different in a way that will promote pack racing rather than two cars working together in an air pocket. So far, the NASCAR drivers are very happy with the look, the increased speed, and the better track-grab of the new cars.
                          I don't understand - what is CoT? Thanks for your help :)
                          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Car of Tomorrow
                            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Car of Tomorrow. See the first line.

Comment

Working...
                              X