Words from a Bosnian Survivalist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S2 View Post
    "When armageddon arrives, I don't want to be with gunnut.

I want to be with Mihais... "

Yeah...I decided that a loooong while ago. Problem is a continent, ocean and the best part of another continent. I DO know that when I see the Carpathians and some REALLY spooky castles I'm close. Then I'd only have to follow the rumors of mass killings in the hills and a tribe of young Vlad the Impalers.

VOILA!! MIHAIS, L'AMERICAIN ETIENNE, EH S-2 EST ARRIVE.

Fallback. My army room mate is a gun nut living just outside bucolic hippieville (Eugene, Oregon). Massive ammo, weapons and a natural spring on land roaming with turkey and black-tail deer. He's made clear that his brother and him have more weapons than trustworthy, shoot-straight hands to use them. I'm welcome if I can traverse 140 miles of I-5 hell (or backroads). Small matter of a bridge over the Columbia bothers me. Choke-points aren't people friendly places when the apocalypse dawns.
    Sir,won't comment on the killing.Like many other things,they're better done than talked about.But our castles...That hurts. Sir,they're quite nice and majestic,not spooky
    You ,Americans,are welcomed in any circumstance.But American friends even more so.The legend of our hospitality is no legend.:)
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      It doesn't have to be human-centric. Imagine half of the world crop gone...
      Or a meteorite.Or a volcano.The possiblities are endless.We live blessed lives in blessed times.Society and civility are such precious and fragile things.
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
        Sir,won't comment on the killing.Like many other things,they're better done than talked about.But our castles...That hurts. Sir,they're quite nice and majestic,not spooky
        You ,Americans,are welcomed in any circumstance.But American friends even more so.The legend of our hospitality is no legend.:)
        The only Romanian legend I know is of Cont Dracula Includes nice castles, lots of killing, blood...

If you get ever tired of that (how on Earth can that be, but still), you are more then welcome for fishing over here. It is in near proximity.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
          Or a meteorite.Or a volcano.The possiblities are endless.We live blessed lives in blessed times.Society and civility are such precious and fragile things.
          Yep, just saw that meteorite in Russia. If I was driving that car and something flashed like that in front of me, just like that, out of the blue... I swear I'd think NUKES!

Then again, who'd bother to nuke us.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Prepare and go about your life. That's the happy medium. Make sure that you have an exit strategy, since as somebody mentioned the cities in these situations will be centers of death and bedlam. Stock up on a few jerrycans of gasoline, cases of water, nonperishable food, and lots of ammo. All of those things can be used for barter as the Bosnian survivor said, since money will likely be worthless. Be sure that your weapons function perfectly; if they don't, fix them now. Same with your vehicle, although it's likely that the roads will be so crammed that it is impossible to drive anywhere. I also can see where having strength in numbers is necessary to fend off armed mobs and for mutual support.

That's not to say that you need to be waiting patiently for the pandemic or asteroid or economic collapse to hit. But in that situation, those who are unprepared or think that it can't happen are going to be the first that are taken because of their denial of the situation. I'd prefer not to be one of them. At the first sign if trouble, I'm taking my wife and leaving Arizona for Texas where our families are.
            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

in apocalyptic scenarios places like New Zealand and Iceland sound very enticing. Fairly homogenous semi-agrarian, on an island, with lots of people that are fairly well off or could sustainably survive without electricity (granted Iceland is geothermal so it would still have electricity) or much outside world.
              Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

cyppok Reply

"in apocalyptic scenarios places like New Zealand and Iceland sound very enticing..."

Getting there might be a problem. Locals likely recognize the value and prefer it restricted to THEM.

Best to make your stand on turf you know and with folks whom are unquestionably sympatico to your existence. Nobody sympatico? Ahhh...pay the price for your past sins.
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                  "When armageddon arrives, I don't want to be with gunnut.

I want to be with Mihais... "

Yeah...I decided that a loooong while ago. Problem is a continent, ocean and the best part of another continent. I DO know that when I see the Carpathians and some REALLY spooky castles I'm close. Then I'd only have to follow the rumors of mass killings in the hills and a tribe of young Vlad the Impalers.

VOILA!! MIHAIS, L'AMERICAIN ETIENNE, EH S-2 EST ARRIVE.

Fallback. My army room mate is a gun nut living just outside bucolic hippieville (Eugene, Oregon). Massive ammo, weapons and a natural spring on land roaming with turkey and black-tail deer. He's made clear that his brother and him have more weapons than trustworthy, shoot-straight hands to use them. I'm welcome if I can traverse 140 miles of I-5 hell (or backroads). Small matter of a bridge over the Columbia bothers me. Choke-points aren't people friendly places when the apocalypse dawns.
                  You get over the river and through Portland. I can direct you the rest of the way. Don't forget your rod. You can fish while the rest of the world returns to normal.
                  Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                    A world-wide pandemic of a lethal airborne virus will produce a collapse of society.
                    1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic which infected 500 million people across the world, including remote Pacific islands and the Arctic, and killed 50 to 100 million of them—1 to 3 percent of the world's population at the time—making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history
                    More than died in WW1+WW2 (depending on which figure you go with) and it went around the world twice.

No collapse of society noted.

Comment

DE,

More than died in WW1+WW2 (depending on which figure you go with) and it went around the world twice.

No collapse of society noted.
                      deadly as it was, it wasn't to the levels needed to imperil society. increase this to 20-25% of the world's population-- which is not out of the realm of likelihood (plague of justinian, black plague, etc) and it would be.

even 1-3% is enough to change society.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

And here is the man's blog. SHTF School - Real Life Survival Experiences .Really interesting,although to me it looks like common sense.Definetely worth the time reading the articles.

There is a hidden benefit in thinking on how things will simply vanish in flames.You start to enjoy simple stuff that is right under your nose.You know those trees in the park?Look closer because they'll be cut after a few days/weeks of chaos.:)

Comment

Working...
                        X